Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
How many cubic centimeters of pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?
Why would anyone measure solid items by volume? That is too stupid. Produce should be measured in kilograms or pounds NOT in liters (1 mL=1 cm³) or bushels. (Most people don't know what a dry gallon is or that it even exists.) The oatmeal tube has to disclose that it is measured by weight NOT volume because an ounce could mean a solid one or a liquid one.

The solid cup measures in cooking confound me. I wouldn't need to sift the flour if I measured by mass instead of volume or if it should be packed tightly or loosely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 07:30 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Why would anyone measure solid items by volume? That is too stupid. Produce should be measured in kilograms or pounds NOT in liters (1 mL=1 cm³) or bushels. (Most people don't know what a dry gallon is or that it even exists.) The oatmeal tube has to disclose that it is measured by weight NOT volume because an ounce could mean a solid one or a liquid one.

The solid cup measures in cooking confound me. I wouldn't need to sift the flour if I measured by mass instead of volume or if it should be packed tightly or loosely.
Ummmm,,, dontcha know your Mother Goose nursery rhyme stories or tongue twisters?

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
Did Peter Piper pick a peck of pickled peppers?
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

Old 10-18-2007, 01:00 AM

5 posts, read 10,776 times
Quote:
It's just the consumer side that is 120 V, 60 Hz. The supply chain is 240 V. It is stepped down as it gets to the consumer. Notice that all electric units are metric and the Ampere is a SI base unit.
It’s transmitted to substations at 240v? That’s a little low ..
Anyway.. I stumbled across this thread because I’m an English engineer working for a German company, and the subject cropped up last week because somebody asked me roughly how long I thought an axle was. I automatically guestimated in feet and inches, which made no sense to the Germans whatsoever. Since then my colleagues have been jovially returning figures to me with spurious units such as ‘fish per square bucket’ or ‘toes per flat foot’. Funny guys. I thought I'd look up a list of old English measurements to prove that there was *some logic* in our old system, and found my way here.
Although I personally think of timber lengths, personal measurements and distance in imperial, and I grew up calculating in metric and imperial, I havc to confess that the metric system just makes more sense. A few people have mentioned the boiling point at 100°C and freezing at 0, but that’s really just the start of it. So much work has already been done for you. For example:

1 amp @ 1 volt = 1 watt
1 cubed meter of water = 1000 litres = 1 tonne
1 joule = 1 newton-meter = 1 watt-second
1 pascal = 1 newton over 1 meter squared

It’s unified and it’s simple to use. Oh yeah.. and it dosen't confuse the crap out of you when you have to do an equation with lots of different units to convert.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby View Post
1 cubed meter of water = 1000 litres = 1 tonne
Tonne is incorrect. It's actually a megagram.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
You're absolutely correct, but I anticipated preaching to a metriphobic audience.. best to stick to terms that people have heard of.
The unit 'tonne' is generally accepted in SI terminology, although it isn't the most aposite definition.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby View Post
You're absolutely correct, but I anticipated preaching to a metriphobic audience.. best to stick to terms that people have heard of.
The unit 'tonne' is generally accepted in SI terminology, although it isn't the most aposite definition.
Tonne is British. In America it's called a Metric Ton to distinguish it from the Colonial ton. It's hard to tell which "ton(nne)" is which when it sounds the same.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Tonne is British. In America it's called a Metric Ton to distinguish it from the Colonial ton. It's hard to tell which "ton(nne)" is which when it sounds the same.
Tonne most certainly isn't British. It's a French word. Ton is British.
This is true; they do sound the same. Thank goodness then that I typed it and didn't say it.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Quote:
Oh good grief... You are so silly... For the sake of arguments and discussion, esp. in a non-scientific/engineering based internet forum, the terms are gosh durn close enough. Besides, that is one of the beauties of metric - how all these hard to compare terms & units in our [ie: American/English] system are so much simpler in metric.

FWIW - many [including our evidently wrong (per you) government, me, and many others] use tonne to imply the metric version of ton:
1.0 metric tonne (tonne) = 1000 kilograms = 2205 pounds Bioenergy Conversion Factors (http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/papers/misc/energy_conv.html - broken link)

So, when Jacoby stated "1 cubed meter of water = 1000 litres = 1 tonne", really matter of which definition a person desires to use...
Otherwise, its very good in getting the point across. No need to be meganal about it, 'eh? Or would that be mega-anal?

Guess ya'd really get your metric dander in a frizzy hearing me call such a kilokilogram...

Oh, some more trivia... how about these other "ton's":
Panama Canal net ton
short ton
long ton
water ton
register ton
harbour ton
assay ton
deadweight ton
...etc...

Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Guess ya'd really get your metric dander in a frizzy hearing me call such a kilokilogram...

Oh, some more trivia... how about these other "ton's":
Panama Canal net ton
short ton
long ton
water ton
register ton
harbour ton
assay ton
deadweight ton
...etc...
Kilokilogram? That's very convoluted and thus is the reason that double-prefixes are not allowed in the modern SI metric system.

But I wanted to point this out since metric usage is still in its infancy in America. Better to nip it in the bud than try to fix a widespread problem later! One reason I like to promote the megagram over the tonne is to avoid the confusion with the other tons written and spoken.

The other and most important reason I promote megagram instead is because it complies with the prefix-unit combo. Nobody will remember how much is the mega prefix unless it is used often. Mega is not used often enough in other units except for the gram combination.

Another common error that should be nipped in the bud in its infancy is the mispronunciation of kilometer.

But we are steadily gaining ground. On the 4:00 P.M. (16:00) news on KTRK (ABC 13; ABC O&O) in Houston, Travis Herzog presented the current Celsius temperatures alongside the more prominent Fahrenheit temperatures. Another reason to watch ABC 13 news at 4:00 instead of amateur hour on KPRC-TV (Local 2--the worst news in Houston).

Hopefully they will replace the barometer with kilopascals. Nobody understands it anyway. It gets confusing when they are talking about hurricanes in millibars and then talk about everything else in inches of Hg.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 AM

For those who say that switching is too expensive, is it better to keep producing items in Colonial which makes the cost of conversion soar ever higher every year? That argument is self-perpetuating. You have to start converting sometime and it's better to start now than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology