U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

70,058 posts, read 60,607,466 times

Advertisements

My ex ranted on so much about this, I really don't care a lot. I just got back from Europe and I will say this about metric: measuring in kilometers makes the numbers too large. 1 km = .6 mi. Something that is 10 km away is really 6 miles, 100 km is 60 mi. Sounds so much farther, LOL. And temperature measurement #s are too small. "The temperature outside is 20 degrees." Which is about 68 -69.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 11:20 PM

3,030 posts, read 5,758,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
My ex ranted on so much about this, I really don't care a lot. I just got back from Europe and I will say this about metric: measuring in kilometers makes the numbers too large. 1 km = .6 mi. Something that is 10 km away is really 6 miles, 100 km is 60 mi. Sounds so much farther, LOL. And temperature measurement #s are too small. "The temperature outside is 20 degrees." Which is about 68 -69.
Same could be said for miles. After all try walking 2 miles. Then walk 2 km. Which distance makes your feet hurt? Remember that when you drive those 2 mi to the store. It is not that close at all!!!

About temperature, can the average person feel the difference between 68 F and 69 F; a 1 F difference? But the average person can feel the difference of 1 C. 20 C and 21 C feel so different from each other. Fahrenheit made many mistakes made in making his system. It is unscientfic because it has no constant measure. Celsius uses water, Fahrenheit uses ____? Body temperature was supposed to be 100 F but it became 98.6 F since he was having a fever while calibrating his scale.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:24 PM

3,030 posts, read 5,758,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

SAY NO TO METRIC!!!!!!!!
I will be the first to start petitions if we go that far!!! It's bad enough no one speaks freakin English anymore - now you wanna change our entire measurement system?????!!!!!
Can anyone say NWO????????!!!!!!!!!
Dear LORD this is scary!!!!!!
Sing with me now:
God Save OUR gracioius QUEEN! God Save our Gracious Queen! God Save our Queen!...

--Stomp out monarchy!!! Use METRIC!

BTW Are you a loyalist Tory?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:41 AM

1,376 posts, read 5,119,919 times
Kerrtown FYI

Fahrenheit was a "naturalist" so he tried to choose reference points that had to do with nature. His body temp set point of 100 was as you correctly said off by just a bit BTW zero on the Fahrenheit scale was set to the coldest temperature that he could produce with an ice/salt mixture.. ( like when freezing home made ice cream..rock salt & ice).

Old 04-27-2007, 09:39 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,613,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Sing with me now:
God Save OUR gracioius QUEEN! God Save our Gracious Queen! God Save our Queen!...

--Stomp out monarchy!!! Use METRIC!

BTW Are you a loyalist Tory?
England uses metric. "Stomp out the monarchy" by not switching.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:50 PM

33 posts, read 91,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
But only Europeans want to know their own height and weight in metric.

ohhh dude sorry u r wrong

all the world use the metric units ... east asia, europe, middle east, africa, south america ........ alllll the world use the metric but the US

Old 04-27-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse_5a View Post
ohhh dude sorry u r wrong

all the world use the metric units ... east asia, europe, middle east, africa, south america ........ alllll the world use the metric but the US
It was a joke!

Canada is metric, and generally speaking, nobody besides certain competitive athletes cares what their height or weight in metric.

Even new immigrants often learn to adopt feet and inches for informally describing personal heights, weights and even building dimensions.

New homes here advertise road frontage width (land meeting the road) in feet.

Why I brought this up is because the U.S. is similar to Canada and your country would probably experience metric similarly to us.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:34 AM

1,318 posts, read 4,117,174 times
Quote:
England uses metric. "Stomp out the monarchy" by not switching.
Thank you ColdCan! Whoever wrote that unintelligible post is a - fill in the blank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Type X
There is nothing bad about water fluoridation.
I sincerely hope you're joking! If not booooooy is someone naive!!!

Old 04-28-2007, 09:47 AM

Does anyone care about Canada's experiences with the metric system, or am I just tooting my own horn?

Old 04-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

70,058 posts, read 60,607,466 times
Quote:
Does anyone care about Canada's experiences with the metric system, or am I just tooting my own horn?
I think it's interesting. It's what I experienced in Canada. Europe, on the other hand, seems to have completely adapted, at least in Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology