Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:23 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Does anyone care about Canada's experiences with the metric system, or am I just tooting my own horn?
You can keep it, along with nationalized health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 04:32 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
You can keep it, along with nationalized health care.
lol, okay... Are you getting me confused with the pro-metric crowd?

Europe is probably different because most of their nations probably have been using metric for 100 plus years. I think it was invented in France in the late 19th century.

Canada only switched to it in the mid 1970's. Before that mostly scientists and doctors used metric.

Here is what we're accustomed to seeing in metric; food and drink quantities (bought in a store, not restaurant), posted speed limits, distances and most weather forecasts. (some have a combination Celcius and Fahrenheit)

In Canadian restaurants, steaks and mixed alcoholic beverages are still sold by the ounce.
If I was asked how many grams or kilograms of steak I'd want I'd have to pull out my scientific calculator.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:05 AM

I can only think of automobile engines in metric terms (i.e. 2.4L, 3.5L, 4.6L engines). I was born after the US moved to metrics in this.

For scientific/educational purposes, I have used metrics. If you ask me my height or weight, don't expect a metric measurement though.

Still: it's much more satisfying to drive a MILE or drink a QUART.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I can only think of automobile engines in metric terms (i.e. 2.4L, 3.5L, 4.6L engines). I was born after the US moved to metrics in this.

For scientific/educational purposes, I have used metrics. If you ask me my height or weight, don't expect a metric measurement though.

Still: it's much more satisfying to drive a MILE or drink a QUART.
Surprise, surprise, I feel about the same way and I'm not American.

My dad taught me how to measure most things with the old system when by the time I was 5, and I started learning metric when I was in 2nd Grade, about 2-3 years later.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:30 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
I think the Julian calendar is superior and the Lsd. system is a better system to count money. We lost 11 days of life switching calendars. I don't feel good using a papist calendar. I always ask if its an Old Style (O.S.) date.

Lsd. is simple. See it is very easy: 1 pound = 20 shillings; 1 shilling = 12 pense so that 1 pound = 240 pense. Its far superior to dollars and cents. Decimalized currency is too hard to use and too impractical.

But as a Holubian, we use the Julian Calendar, Lsd., and the metric (S.I.) system. Metric is far superior than English (U.S)/Imperial (Canada and the commonwealth) and much easier. I don't want to deal with every single country's or region's measurement system if there was no metric. Its hard to convert from the Texas inch to the Illinois inch. BTW how many Illinois miles is in a Texas mile?

Old 04-29-2007, 12:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb83201 View Post
Teaching both systems is a start, but our education system already behind the the rest of the world, particularly in math and science. Why continue to waste time teaching two systems, when we could teach just one simple system? In the metric system, water boils at 100 degrees Celsius, freezes at 0 degrees. Everything is in base ten, which simplifies measurements and allows you to do more in your head. The English Unit system is very confusing. Water boils at 212 degrees, there are 5280 feet in a mile, two barrels in a hogs head... it's ridiculous.

if you want to change this go to http://www.house.gov/writerep/
But why not just teach one system, S.I.? Forget the U.S. system. In fact liquids measured in ounces are listed as U.S. fluid ounces so as not to confuse the British with their Imperial ounce. Did you know that the law defines the U.S. system by S.I. units? Legally 1 mile is 1.6 km. And in a 1959 treaty, the inch was standardized into 2.54 cm.

DYK there were originally 5000 feet (or 7.57 furlongs) in a mile until Queen Elizabeth I changed it to 5280 feet so it will be exactly 8 furlongs. That could be one of the stupidest decisions in history. BTW do even know what a furlong is or even use it? A furlong is meausre of distance 40 rods (220 yd or 660 ft) long. A rod is 5 1/2 yd or 16 1/2 ft long.

Last edited by KerrTown; 04-29-2007 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: rod

Old 04-29-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Surprise, surprise, I feel about the same way and I'm not American.

My dad taught me how to measure most things with the old system when by the time I was 5, and I started learning metric when I was in 2nd Grade, about 2-3 years later.
I thought the Canadians had been using metrics since forever!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Way back in kindergarten some 30+ years ago they were saying we were al gonna go metric. Metric was the wave of the future! It never happened. I just think if it aint broke, why fix it?

Old 04-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Way back in kindergarten some 30+ years ago they were saying we were al gonna go metric. Metric was the wave of the future!

It never happened. I just think if it aint broke, why fix it?
Wave of the future? lol... I don't think it has improved our quality of life in Canada.

Exactly. Canada currently being metric doesn't bother me, as I learned how to convert in both systems. But switching systems is too expensive and a waste of money. Plus it's annoying to fix something that works.

I wouldn't want Canada to switch back because of the costs too.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I thought the Canadians had been using metrics since forever!
Canadian cars weren't made with metric speedos until the late 1970's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology