U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 PM

2,767 posts, read 9,356,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The reason they like using millimeters is to remove the decimal point since it can create a stumbling block to pronounce the decimal. When I was in elementary school, the school district wanted to teach us that the decimal was pronounced "and" as in two and fifty-four meters NOT two point fifty-four meters. It didn't stick after a few years.
They taught you that in school? No wonder it didn't stick! When would you ever express 2.54 m like that, "two and fifty-four meters," or "two point fifty-four meters"?

The better (normal) way to express 2.54 m is, "2 meters and 54 centimeters."

When is $2.54 expressed as "two point fifty-four dollars"? It isn't. It's expressed as "2 dollars and 54 cents" -- or for weight, "2 kilos and 54 grams," or for volume, "2 liters and 54 centiliters." Keep it simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 PM

4,092 posts, read 8,011,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
They taught you that in school? No wonder it didn't stick! When would you ever express 2.54 m like that, "two and fifty-four meters," or "two point fifty-four meters"?

The better (normal) way to express 2.54 m is, "2 meters and 54 centimeters."

When is $2.54 expressed as "two point fifty-four dollars"? It isn't. It's expressed as "2 dollars and 54 cents" -- or for weight, "2 kilos and 54 grams," or for volume, "2 liters and 54 centiliters." Keep it simple.
From the USMA website:
Quote:
How about mixing units?
A single measurement uses a single unit (which may be a derived unit like km/h).

Good: 1.76 m
Good: 176 cm
Bad: 1 m 76 cm

There may be a difference between the way a value is written and the way it's spoken. For example, someone's height is usually given in meters or centimeters — 1.76 m or 176 cm — but it's sometimes spoken as “one meter seventy-six,” even though it's not written that way.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
From the USMA website:
Written vs. spoken, ok, that's true. But still, when we see it written, "$1.54," we automatically know to say, "one dollar and 54 cents" not "one point 54 dollars" or "one hundred and 54 cents." Other Metric measurements are the same, as in 1.54 m. After a while you don't even think about it, "one meter and 54 centimeters." Either way, to me it's still easier than inches and feet, gallons and pints, ounces (wt) and ounces (vol).

Old 05-01-2007, 11:36 PM

9,595 posts, read 21,614,588 times
Quote:
The reason they like using millimeters is to remove the decimal point since it can create a stumbling block to pronounce the decimal.

When I was in elementary school, the school district wanted to teach us that the decimal was pronounced "and" as in two and fifty-four meters NOT two point fifty-four meters. It didn't stick after a few years.
We have plenty of people learning English as a second language here, but they are not afraid to ask anyone to pronounce "decimal."

We learned it is incorrect to call a number like 250 "two hundred and fifty" so we say "two hundred fifty" in school. We also were taught commas have no place in counting, so one million is "1 000 000" not "1,000,000." But many people use them both after they finished with school.

For a number like 3.5, "three point five" or "three decimal five" were both acceptable answers to my recollection.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:25 PM

124 posts, read 324,061 times
well it was a great discussion anyway

Old 05-06-2007, 01:47 AM

542 posts, read 2,164,868 times
We don't measure metric because we're the United States of America! Not Europe. Why would we measure metric? So we can be like everyone else?

Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 AM

An objection that may have came out in 1752:
Quote:
Why would the British Empire use the papist's (Gregorian) calendar? After all we broke away from the tyrannical pope (during the Reformation). So why must we use a popish calendar?
Who cares if its April 23 (O.S.) in the U.S.A. and it's May 6 (N.S.) everywhere else. And why should we convert? To make travel and trade easier. I don't think so! I only care about the date in the good ol' USA.

If we converted now instead of 1752, the costs would be unimaginable. Our cell phone/PDA calendars would become useless and we would have to buy new paper calendars. Don't forget about the problems with legal contracts too. That alone should have stopped it.

July 4, 1776 would become June 23, 1776. No more Fourth of July. Just the 23rd of July!

Decimalized Currency
The Brits resisted decimalized currency because they were British. Why would they use decimalized currency? So we can be like everyone else? After all the Pound Sterling is as good as gold! Plus they have been counting that way for 2,000 years. I'd rather have my half-crown than 13 cents. After all decimalized currency was so hard that they didn't want to convert for so long. "That would be 3 pounds, 2 shillings, and 6 pence."

Old 05-06-2007, 09:36 AM

On Friday, April 21 (O.S.)/May 4 (N.S.) I was driving to my father's house. I noticed that the road construction sign said:
Quote:
BEGIN
ROAD CONSTRUCTION
NEXT 14 MILE
The "S" was scratched off because it was used once before to warn of construction of a mile or less. That got me to thinking that if we used kilometers, that problem of the plural would have not occured.
The sign would have said instead:
Quote:
BEGIN
ROAD CONSTRUCTION
NEXT 22.5 km
and the sign would have stayed pristine!

Another thought: How many recipes call for human blood? That's what you get when you use Fahrenheit or at least supposed to get. Use Celsius since you use water instead.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
We don't measure metric because we're the United States of America! Not Europe. Why would we measure metric? So we can be like everyone else?
Yes, let's keep it as complicated as possible here in America. Keep all logical and easy-to-use systems in Europe.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 PM

124 posts, read 324,061 times
I'm glad this turned out to be a good discussion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology