U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 PM

650 posts, read 1,978,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
If we were talking about the Gregorian Calendar, you might be the one who brings up Popery to the point that it sounds like and gets as intense as the immigration issue.
You may be wrong about that one. I'd like to think myself easy going and fair on discussions. However, the Papacy itself is quite fascinating, althought I will admit history doesn't appeal to everyone.

Quote:
I know the Julian and Gregorian calendars well enough and conversions don't bother me much. I think knowing both gives me greater flexibility when I travel around the world or to an Eastern Orthodox Church.
Awesome! I'm glad to see you succeed in such a noble quest. The personal persuit of knowledge should never be discouraged. Actually, it sounds interesting enough, I may just do a little research on it myself. I really never considered it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 07:47 PM

4,066 posts, read 7,993,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
You may be wrong about that one. I'd like to think myself easy going and fair on discussions. However, the Papacy itself is quite fascinating, althought I will admit history doesn't appeal to everyone.
I didn't say that you will be the one with the anti-Catholic vitrol, you might be the ignition of opportunity for that person with the vitrol to run the engine of demagoguery.

But I wouldn't scratch out the possibility that the Popery charge was used by opponents of the Gregorian Calendar in 1751. After all, it was barely 200 years after the Reformation and 100 years after the fork, the other innovation that was stifled by the Reformation, was adopted in England.

Quote:
I think knowing both gives me greater flexibility when I travel around the world or to an Eastern Orthodox Church.
I meant "to the local Eastern Orthodox Church."

Old 09-08-2007, 05:58 AM

650 posts, read 1,978,937 times
Quote:
I didn't say that you will be the one with the anti-Catholic vitrol, you might be the ignition of opportunity for that person with the vitrol to run the engine of demagoguery.
Not if they were talking to me in person. However, I suppose discussion threads will always have the potential of take over.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:04 AM

20,984 posts, read 24,815,368 times
Quote:
I believe Bush and definitely Big Business supports the metric adoption, but he is distracted by the War in Iraq right now. If the war ends, he can pursue the domestic policies that he was supposed to tackle.
Lol. I don't believe this... even this is blamed on Bush! I didn't see Clinton pushing the metric system.

Quote:
How many cubic inches are in a gallon? Make that a U.S. Gallon NOT an Imperial Gallon. I need to know how much oil to put in my car and the bulk oil came in these new gallon sizes
If I had any reason to know that, I would answer. But in my day to day life, I don't need to know. I just changed the oil in my limo today; it takes 5 quarts (4+1 for the oil filter). Don't make it so complicated!

Quote:
It's now officially Celsius not Centigrade.
I know that. That's why I did refer to it as Celsius.

Quote:
Speaking of graduations I cannot use the inch-side of the ruler because I cannot figure out the fractions of an inch accurately. Which is the 1/16ths of an inch, the 1/8th of an inch and 1/4 of an inch. This is why I usually use the metric side of the ruler since all graduations are 0.1 cm. Hopefully the bridge collapse wasn't caused by erroneous arithmetic or mis-measurement during construction
Lol. (Again). So now the bridge collapse can be blamed on the use of non-metric measurements? Do you have any more amusing claims?

Quote:
What temperature is half boiling?
Who cares?

Quote:
It's (100/2=)50 C. I tried to use Fahrenheit but it was too trouble some. (212/2)+32 was 138 F but converting from C to F was 122 F which is the correct answer.
It may be troublesome to you, but I will continue to use it.

Quote:
Apparently you didn't notice that a kilometer (1 km) is 1000 meters and that 500 m is 0.500 km
No, I didn't notice it and I don't really care, either.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Speaking of graduations I cannot use the inch-side of the ruler because I cannot figure out the fractions of an inch accurately. Which is the 1/16ths of an inch, the 1/8th of an inch and 1/4 of an inch. This is why I usually use the metric side of the ruler since all graduations are 0.1 cm.
Gee... I learned this back in Jr. High School.
Anyway, here is the answer:

Old 09-09-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Gee... I learned this back in Jr. High School.
Anyway, here is the answer:
There are 4 types of graduations in that one inch. Information overload! My maximum number of graduations that I can handle is 3. Some rulers (so unpatriotic especially because it describes so well the rationale behind the length of a foot! It's the length of a 12th Century English King's foot.) actually have 1/32 of an inch marked along with the other 4 graduations and it is not even marked for some of these rulers.

In a centimeter there are only two types and one is for the 5 mm mark and the others are for each millimeter.

I only do woodworking in metric!

Old 09-09-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
There are 4 types of graduations in that one inch. Information overload! My maximum number of graduations that I can handle is 3. Some rulers (so unpatriotic especially because it describes so well the rationale behind the length of a foot! It's the length of a 12th Century English King's foot.) actually have 1/32 of an inch marked along with the other 4 graduations and it is not even marked for some of these rulers.

In a centimeter there are only two types and one is for the 5 mm mark and the others are for each millimeter.

I only do woodworking in metric!
Wow, four graduations! Pretty tough, there! I hope you don't plan on becoming a rocket scientist.

I have an idea... you stay with the system you like and I'll stay with the one I like!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Wow, four graduations! Pretty tough, there! I hope you don't plan on becoming a rocket scientist.

I have an idea... you stay with the system you like and I'll stay with the one I like!
Did you hear that NASA is going metric?

Of course you can stay with the monetary system you like and I'll stay with the one I like. Same for calendars too.

I'd hate to tell you that the United States Metric Association headquarters is in your town, Northridge.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:32 PM

2,249 posts, read 5,749,735 times
I was trained to use English units. Therefore, that is what I will use.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:34 PM

2,249 posts, read 5,749,735 times
Honestly, I don't really care because I'm not a scientist or anything but I have to admit, it's easier to judge air temperature and body weight in English units
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology