Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:40 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times

Advertisements

We have been using the English system for so long that I doubt that we will be converting to the metric system anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 10:58 PM

124 posts, read 374,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
But why not just teach one system, S.I.? Forget the U.S. system. In fact liquids measured in ounces are listed as U.S. fluid ounces so as not to confuse the British with their Imperial ounce. Did you know that the law defines the U.S. system by S.I. units? Legally 1 mile is 1.6 km. And in a 1959 treaty, the inch was standardized into 2.54 cm.

DYK there were originally 5000 feet (or 7.57 furlongs) in a mile until Queen Elizabeth I changed it to 5280 feet so it will be exactly 8 furlongs. That could be one of the stupidest decisions in history. BTW do even know what a furlong is or even use it? A furlong is meausre of distance 40 rods (220 yd or 660 ft) long. A rod is 5 1/2 yd or 16 1/2 ft long.
That's what I was suggesting. Why are we continuing to use an outdated and difficult system? I guess the better question is, why are we trying to use two systems?

Old 04-30-2007, 07:30 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb83201 View Post
That's what I was suggesting. Why are we continuing to use an outdated and difficult system? I guess the better question is, why are we trying to use two systems?
It's not a difficult system to me since I've used it before and know plenty of conversions. I can understand it being difficult at first for foreigners and some new immigrants, but I so no problem with that. How can it be difficult to people raised with it? Sure there are a lot of numbers to remember but in metric there are plenty of different kinds of units to remember just like in your current system which IMHO are just as hard to remember all the extra numbers.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:27 AM

124 posts, read 374,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
It's not a difficult system to me since I've used it before and know plenty of conversions. I can understand it being difficult at first for foreigners and some new immigrants, but I so no problem with that. How can it be difficult to people raised with it? Sure there are a lot of numbers to remember but in metric there are plenty of different kinds of units to remember just like in your current system which IMHO are just as hard to remember all the extra numbers.
It's difficult in that the numbers do not coincide. You have to remember that there are 5280 feet in a mile, water boils at 212 degrees, etc. Most people don't remember that stuff. But even with metric as a minority, people know that there are 1000 meters in a kilometer, 10mm in a centimeter, water boils at 100 degrees, because it's easy to remember. You can't deny that it would be easier to use just one simple system, instead of confusing everyone trying to use two systems. Of course people are going to go with the more familiar system. We are creatures of habit. I just wish the metric system was that more familiar system.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:53 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Ounces? Which one--liquid or solid? Not only U.S. has to be infront sometimes but ounces have two meanings. Try looking at a tube of oatmeal. It tells you the product in ounces but without looking at the metric value, it is hard to tell if it was measured by volume (liquid) or by weight (solid; mass in metric).

Did you know that weight is just how much force is exerted by gravity and that mass is a measure of how much matter the object contains? The U.S. customary system cannot measure mass. S.I. can measure both. Weight would be measured by Newtons and mass by the gram (or kilogram in S.I.). That's why a person would weigh differently on the moon but their mass is still the same.

BTW can you tell me how many inches are in a furlong without using Google or a calculator? Base-10 makes conversions easy by moving a decimal. The prefix system makes moving that decimal (and measuring in general) a breeze. Did the founders think that they and their ancestors have used Lsd. so long that they would not convert to decimalized currency or the Gregorian calendar?

Table of common prefixes:
  • Mega - b x 1,000,000
  • kilo - b x 1,000
  • hecto - b x 100
  • deka - b x 10
  • base unit (b)
  • deci - b x .1
  • centi - b x .01
  • milli - b x .001
  • micro (µ) - b x .0001

See SO SIMPLE!!!

Last edited by KerrTown; 04-30-2007 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: table

Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb83201 View Post
It's difficult in that the numbers do not coincide. You have to remember that there are 5280 feet in a mile, water boils at 212 degrees, etc. Most people don't remember that stuff. But even with metric as a minority, people know that there are 1000 meters in a kilometer, 10mm in a centimeter, water boils at 100 degrees, because it's easy to remember. You can't deny that it would be easier to use just one simple system, instead of confusing everyone trying to use two systems. Of course people are going to go with the more familiar system. We are creatures of habit. I just wish the metric system was that more familiar system.
Yes, the number part is easy, but in both systems there are so many different kinds of units, most people don't remember most of them anyways.

A "calorie" is actually a metric unit, but Canada labels food only in "joules." (kilo joules.) Funny that it was metric but they decided to abandon the familiar unit and go with one mostly scientists understand.

When you are working with equations, some of the metric prefixes are also used to denote other ideas while using metric units in the equation at the same time.

I believe if the U.S.A. had always been metric instead, it'd only vaguely help at most the average non-scienceminded citizen. It would make a bit more difference to people involved with math and science at a professional level, but it can still be confusing since the prefixes were already taken to represent other ideas, long before metric existed.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 PM

Using a ruler marked in inches, it is hard to figure out which markings mean which fraction of an inch. It is hard to tell if the ruler is graduated in 1/16ths of an inch or 1/32nds of an inch. So I have to count all 16 or 32 graduations to make sure because sometimes the ruler does not state if it is graduated in 1/16ths or 1/32nds of an inch. Plus the denominators change everytime you move upward. The first graduation in 16ths is 1/16th of an inch, then 1/8th, then 3/16ths, then 1/4th, then 5/16ths, and so on. Decimal inches are not even marked in the 16ths or 32nds graduations. In order to use decimal inches, I have to use a new ruler with different graduations.

I cannot build in inches because of this so I use metric. With metric, I just count to 10 to make sure there are 10 mm within a cm. The problem with is that there are no tools available in metric. The tape measures and markings on power tools are exclusively in inches.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,644 times
Lightbulb The Metric Dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
Because this is America son...................... That's why!

no really....................... cause it's so haaaaard that's why
The U.S. Dollar is already Metric. We could say:

$1 = dollar
$10 = decadollar
$100 = hectadollar
$1000 = kilodollar

10¢ = decidollar
1¢ = centidollar

What's so hard or un-American about that?

Last edited by Winston Smith; 05-01-2007 at 12:06 AM..

Old 05-01-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
The U.S. Dollar is already Metric. We could say:

$1 = dollar
$10 = decadollar
$100 = hectadollar
$1000 = kilodollar

10¢ = decidollar
1¢ = centidollar

What's so hard or un-American about that?
Agree.

Would you have this: $0.00 or this: £3 2s. 6d. (alt. £3 2/6). Try adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing those numbers. You might have a better appreciation for decimals/S.I. metric.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:32 AM

549 posts, read 2,384,600 times
We should convert since the world is becoming a smaller place.
Cre8 I love your post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology