U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:59 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,297,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Baby monitors and those security cameras setups will give you very low quality sound... there would be no point. You need microphones and speakers. The sheet metal idea is the best, its the cheapest option and will give you the best quality sound... truly lossless audio I tell you.
The cheap($40.00) security works for me; I watch and listen to the birds and rain etc. Granted the Total Harmonic Distortion is high...it is adequate for the intended purpose. I've had it for 5 years...no problems??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 11:03 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,297,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I think I'll try the baby monitor out to begin with and then move on to other options if that doesn't work. Thanks to all for your input!
Remember a baby monitor is NOT designed to stand up to or even safe to use out in the elements. Please, the baby one would be unsafe....unless it is totally protected from weather. And even then...I would be scared...unless they make baby monitors for outdoors???Plus the baby monitor WILL cost more...but MAY have better audio...that I am not sure of.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 PM

1,393 posts, read 6,982,632 times
Not to beat a dead horse here...and I acknowledge your probable intentions are good...BUT

I suspect your on hands knowledge of electronics is pretty slim

Like most small electronic things these days the actual "baby monitor" is powered by a LOW voltage current limited power supply that plugs directly into an outlet..the output of which is typically 6 to 12 volts. BTW...this is exactly the same type of power plug in that runs your outboard computers sound system speakers...With that in mind, I could point out that the typical in home under cabinet kitchen low voltage lighting (capable of 30 Amps !) or your "Welcome" outdoor sidewalk lighting" (similar current rating) is more dangerous...

...While your "concerns are I'm sure well intended your understanding is...

Last edited by JBrown; 08-25-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 07:20 PM

26,161 posts, read 14,899,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA
Remember a baby monitor is NOT designed to stand up to or even safe to use out in the elements. Please, the baby one would be unsafe....unless it is totally protected from weather. And even then...I would be scared...unless they make baby monitors for outdoors???Plus the baby monitor WILL cost more...but MAY have better audio...that I am not sure of.
I have a fisher price ANALOG baby monitor and its excellent for this type of thing...

I put it out on the deck (covered) in the summer and @ night I can listen to nature,etc....... Its very pleasing!! (The pick up is very good)

I had this same baby monitor in the 80s and sadly something happend to it... A few years ago i found another one @ salvation army!! (Best monitor they ever made)

www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage/262075844832

Old 06-30-2016, 12:05 AM

2,791 posts, read 3,090,632 times
What about a white noise generator? This produces a 'hiss' and I believe is one of the noises that engineers are trying to get rid of from circuits, so it should not be too difficult to produce or cheap to buy.

If you need real sound, then go and download a sound file of rain or a thunderstorm from the internet and loop it. Some people use a fan at night to send them to sleep because it produces lots of swooshing hissing noises which might do the business for you too.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 82 times
Quote:
I live in Oregon and love the rain. Is there anything I can buy and install so that on cold days when it's raining, I can somehow have the sound outside amplified and listen to it inside without opening a window? Seems to me there must be something I can rig up but don't know where to start. Any ideas out there?
I have this same wish. I want to hear the rain louder but my house is tight and well insulated, further dampening the sound but I don’t want to open the window when it’s cold out. The Northwest’s rain is typically lighter too, making it hard to hear. I’ve thought of mounting some propped metal panels on the roof or near the window, in the yard, to amplify the sound. The roof in my non-insulated garage makes the rain sound wonderful!

Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 PM

4,355 posts, read 1,861,459 times
Corrugated steel roof.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,034,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Corrugated steel roof.
Yeah, that's cheap and easy to install.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:27 AM

4,355 posts, read 1,861,459 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's cheap and easy to install.

OP didn't ask for "cheap and easy to install".

Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,034,648 times
Well, I am the OP and I DID ask for cheap and easy. See post #6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology