Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times

Advertisements

I live in Oregon and love the rain. Is there anything I can buy and install so that on cold days when it's raining, I can somehow have the sound outside amplified and listen to it inside without opening a window? Seems to me there must be something I can rig up but don't know where to start. Any ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 05:47 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
A baby room monitor

Old 08-13-2009, 02:14 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I live in Oregon and love the rain. Is there anything I can buy and install so that on cold days when it's raining, I can somehow have the sound outside amplified and listen to it inside without opening a window? Seems to me there must be something I can rig up but don't know where to start. Any ideas out there?
Funny, I live in Sweden and it rains all the time and I hate it. I use to like it when I lived in the San Jacinto mountains above Palm Springs, but we did'nt get it until winter and then again the summer monsoonal moisture from Mexico which was really kool because it was accompanied with summer thunder and lightning showers. Had we gotten it all the time then I would have disliked it. In summer we'd have the initial downburst followed by a long gentle steady rain shower for a couple hours. That's when I'd take my book out on our covered porch and read. Of course that was the days before internet. But the beauty of summer monsoons was that it was'nt by any means cold and you could enjoy it outside. Also the smells and fragrances of several species of trees and shrubs gave the atmosphere and almost natural high of it's own.

We also had a metal roof which most certainly amplified the sound of rain. We reroofed the house with composition shakes and unless the rain came a blitzing down, we rarely heard the rain storms anymore. I missed that. I did'nt realize how much until I realized at night while laying in bed during winter storms that I could'nt here the gentle sound any longer. You might try purchasing some sound effects tapes and playing those. I did have one of Amazon rainforest which included forest sounds of birds. One of the tapes was an hour and thirty minutes long.

One other thing I had that sort of replicated the sound of rain was a large cottonwood tree , which like an Aspen has a leaf that is hinged to the twigs in such a way that even the slightest breeze makes it flutter and replicates the sound of rain drops as the leaves clap each other. That's why the American variety of Aspen is often called Quaking Aspen or even Trembling Aspen. So even planting a cottonwood or two could mimic the sound you enjoy.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
You can get a cheap OUTDOOR, security camera with sound; that should stand up to the elements.....unlike a baby monitor. It seldom rains here; I also enjoy the sound of rain, it is soothing and makes one feel that all is right in the world.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Just think... what do they use to amplify instruments and peoples voices? If your looking for something like a RainAmp 5000 that you would see on an infomercial... I don't think you'll have much luck.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Just think... what do they use to amplify instruments and peoples voices? If your looking for something like a RainAmp 5000 that you would see on an infomercial... I don't think you'll have much luck.
That's just it. I don't know what they use except for microphones and speakers. I'm looking for something really inexpensive and easy to rig up. Maybe the baby monitors suggested by JBrown or the outdoor security camera suggested by PITTSTON2SARASOT. I'll check them out and see if they will work. Or maybe just put a sheet of metal on the ground outside the window!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:28 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
That's just it. I don't know what they use except for microphones and speakers. I'm looking for something really inexpensive and easy to rig up. Maybe the baby monitors suggested by JBrown or the outdoor security camera suggested by PITTSTON2SARASOT. I'll check them out and see if they will work. Or maybe just put a sheet of metal on the ground outside the window!
Baby monitors and those security cameras setups will give you very low quality sound... there would be no point. You need microphones and speakers. The sheet metal idea is the best, its the cheapest option and will give you the best quality sound... truly lossless audio I tell you.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
How about just lay some sheet metal out when it rains? Put it away when it isn't. =p lol

Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Baby monitors and those security cameras setups will give you very low quality sound... there would be no point. You need microphones and speakers. The sheet metal idea is the best, its the cheapest option and will give you the best quality sound... truly lossless audio I tell you.
I don't think you've ever actually listened to a baby room monitor...it IS a microphone...a wireless link ,AND a speaker..they are VERY sensitive...you can hear an infant roll over in it's crib for God's sake!! What more do you want ??

BTW...;it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to keep the "outdoor unit out of the direct rain...Hmmm...how about a plastic zip lock sandwhich bag....that simple trick has been keeping many a HAM radios out door antenna connections water free for years....

Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM

I think I'll try the baby monitor out to begin with and then move on to other options if that doesn't work. Thanks to all for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology