U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:08 AM

240 posts, read 336,526 times

Advertisements

Right now it is mostly biotech, nanotech, and computer tech. That could all change though in future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 AM

3,301 posts, read 4,837,793 times
I'd love to see a cure for stupidity or at least something to mitigate the many terrible side effects of this horrible condition.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:45 AM

248 posts, read 479,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
There will soon be a revolution in quantum mechanics in which the position & momentum of a particle can be determined...by simply eliminating mathematically the concept of momentum. You heard it here first.
Would love to be part of that rev.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:07 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,106,880 times
The realization that the universe is not electrically neutral by astrophysicists will be a big step in the understanding of the universe as it really is. Theories will be trampled by undeniable facts and quantum mechanics will have to be rethought. Scientists must not cling to unprovable mathematical theory when physical, repeatable observation is before them. Peer review needs to be replaced by a new breed of scientists unafraid of failure or being proved wrong now and then. This will bring about a sea change in the sciences. We are in an unenlightened period now not unlike the dark ages. We must first admit we do not "know it all" in order for us to advance further.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:30 PM

1,657 posts, read 3,879,764 times
New mathematical tools, chaos theory for example, will allow some of the 'soft' sciences to gain a foothold into acting like, formulating theories like, and testing mathematical models like a 'hard' science.

For example, to know that a computer simulator of what will happen to a large population city when a natural disaster strikes, will actually be believed by local Government officals (that the computer model will show what will happen.) Cars run of of Gas, and gas stations on evac routes jack up prices to $5.00 a gal.

The Gov't spent how much money and time going after Martha Steward, but Madoff went on and on for years. Madoff surrendered and told his story, the feds took how long to get up to speed on just what he was up to after he confessed? A month? more?

Phil

Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 247,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We are in an unenlightened period now not unlike the dark ages. We must first admit we do not "know it all" in order for us to advance further.
I have to beg to differ (unless you are referring to specific fields, astrophysics etc etc)... the last 100 years have seen an explosion of scientific development unprecedented in the history of mankind.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:41 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,259,695 times
Yeah, I have to say that nanotechnology and also biogenetics are the two next big scientific revolitons, at least in terms of how significantly they will affect us. Nano will give us things like: car scratches that automatically heal themselves; sidewalks and roads that heat-up to melt ice (this is already here!); housepaint that changes color with the outside temperature so as to maximize our utilitity bills; nano-sized robots that are injected into our bloodstreams so they can go to work performing microsurgery. Amazing. Truly the field to get into if you are a young person interested in science.
Biogenetics will soon end ALL known diseases. A biopsy or quick blood scan at birth will pick up any markers for disease tendency and then a vaccine will be injected so as to eradicate it. More amazing: parents will be able to pick the type of baby they want; like buying a car! LOL. "Hmm..we want blue eyes and brown hair and a mesomorph body type and right-brain dominance with a proclivity for music and art."
Actually, that last part is kinda scary. Indeed, the Biogenetics field will bring with it many moral and ethical questions.
Peace.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,038,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
There will soon be a revolution in quantum mechanics in which the position & momentum of a particle can be determined...by simply eliminating mathematically the concept of momentum. You heard it here first.
I thought it could NEVER be determined; because the moment you make the observation, the particle changes and also it will appear different in to different observers with varying frames of reference.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:46 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,038,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
I was wondering what revolution is being talked about the most within the scientific community. Like how there was the "Industrial Revolution" that changed everything and more modern we notice the "technology revolution" gave us more advanced computing so what is next? I am talking about the near future, as in 50 or so years what can we expect to be the next greatest achievement? What career would be wise to get into NOW? Is it Genetics? Nano? Robotics? or maybe Geology as Global Warming is now an issue?

I love all sciences and my obsession is so bad I have to narrorw it down to 'what is the next biggest thing i want to be apart of.' I am bad in math so I am really pulling for the human genome or something in the bio/geo field.. Can someone tell me from right now in the US what field looks to be heading for the next big revolution for mankind?
IMO...there are 2 huge leaps of technology on the horizon:

(1) FUSION POWER: We are past the break-even point with the Tokomak experimental reactor; and it is only a matter of time and funding before the process can be scaled up for commercial power production.

This will give our society a nearly inexhaustible source of relatively clean and "cheap" energy.

(2)NANOTECHNOLOGY: Ting Zu has discovered a process where she has been able to get 10 trillion polymer strands to self-assemble with precise patterns.

This process could lead to data storage discs the size of a quarter that can store 7 terabits of data, the equivalent of 175 DVD's. This technique can have many other applications from higher resolution displays, more efficient photovoltaic cells and energy storage and possibly scaffolding to "grow" new organs, along with the ability to assemble even smaller devices with great precision.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 AM

1,657 posts, read 3,879,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
...{snip}. (1) FUSION POWER: We are past the break-even point with the Tokomak experimental reactor; and it is only a matter of time and funding before the process can be scaled up for commercial power production.....
I have the understanding that the 'break-even' is a term used to describe power used vs power out. Not an economic term or condition. It has been over 30 years to my knowledge of huge funding the basic science to get to the energy break-even point with fusion power.

It may well take the rest of your life for fusion power to reach the economic break-even point. They are expensive to build, expensive to operate (cost of manpower et al), and the public today still has a "Not In My Backyard" mentality toward anything 'nuke' (read: cost of lawyers.) Maybe in one or two generations; but not in my lifetime.

Here's hoping you a long lifetime, and you get to enjoy such things as I can only dream about as Fusion Power plants on the power grid. But you knew this already, didn't you.

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology