Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:12 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,688,031 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what revolution is being talked about the most within the scientific community. Like how there was the "Industrial Revolution" that changed everything and more modern we notice the "technology revolution" gave us more advanced computing so what is next? I am talking about the near future, as in 50 or so years what can we expect to be the next greatest achievement? What career would be wise to get into NOW? Is it Genetics? Nano? Robotics? or maybe Geology as Global Warming is now an issue?

I love all sciences and my obsession is so bad I have to narrorw it down to 'what is the next biggest thing i want to be apart of.' I am bad in math so I am really pulling for the human genome or something in the bio/geo field.. Can someone tell me from right now in the US what field looks to be heading for the next big revolution for mankind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:05 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,799,062 times
The next great revolution, already in progress, is nanotechnology. It will effect all aspects of our lives, from medicine, to cars, to planes, to houses, buildings, space elevator.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,574,759 times
There will soon be a revolution in quantum mechanics in which the position & momentum of a particle can be determined...by simply eliminating mathematically the concept of momentum. You heard it here first.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:38 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,591,983 times
Seems to me this subject has been discussed before as to what we might see crop up in the next 50 or so years.

There are a lot of things being considered by futurists that involve making big changes for humanity. So many that it's getting harder to pinpoint any one specific thing that will revolutionize the world. Much of it are basically advances of current things. For example, the Technological Revolution is based on the Industrial Revolution. Of course, one doesn't replace the other. Both are still with us. It seems to me that such big changes depend on a number of factors, including advances in knowledge based on discovery, need, demand, and opportunity. That said, it's perceived we are currently in an Information Revolution, which has sprung from Technology and Industry.

Looking ahead, I don't know if there will to be any one particular thing that will be revolutionary. More than likely we'll see many things that are branches or advancements of current technology. There are a few advancements we might see pop up in the near future. Some of these things would certainly overlap or blend with others.

Medical & Genetics
It could include things like eradication or control health issues, as well as greater enhancements for humans.

Robotics & Artificial Intelligence
Robotic systems may play a much larger role in everyday life. We'll probably see greater advances in the area of A.I., although it's hard to guess whether any major breakthroughs of truly autonomous AI systems will be achieved within the next 50 years.

Space Exploration
We will likely continue making advances that point to better habitation off the planet. Assuming financial resources are available, I'd guess we will have at least small scientific outposts on Mars with in the next 50 or so years. We'll also make more unknown discoveries about space and the universe, both at the macro level and the quantum level. We might even find signs of truly habitable exoplanets (like the Earth) existing in other solar systems. We might also find ways of protecting the Earth from asteroids or comets that could cause serious impacts that could threaten life on Earth.

Transportation
Not only better transportation systems, but better engine designs.

Communication
We might see more worldwide communication systems that are much more portable or implanted, and might even be more thought controlled.

Nanotechnology
This could have some wide implications especially for manufacturing and medicine.

Energy Production
We may see much more diversified sources of renewable energy to meet the needs of people.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:46 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
Well since biomedicine is my favorite study in science i'm going to say Stem Cells along with Gene Therapy as these will transform how diseases along with aging is treated in the future. Who ever would have thought that spinal cord paralyses would be treated in our lifetime in which i believe it will happen in 10 years or less with stem cells as this science is exploding in knowledge along with new treatments for for Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Muscular Dystrophy, most forms of Blindness and Senescense (aging) of the human body.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,403,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
There will soon be a revolution in quantum mechanics in which the position & momentum of a particle can be determined...by simply eliminating mathematically the concept of momentum. You heard it here first.
Like Xavier, I also think the really big stuff is happening in quantum theory, but just like Einstein's theories that so revolutionized our understanding a century ago, alot of these are going to take awhile to see their impact.

The one that I think has huge implications, scientifically, philosophically and otherwise is the recently proven fact of "non-locality" (http://www.templeton.org/humble_approach_initiative/nonlocality/ - broken link) (that unlike classical physics, quantum correlations are actually independent of distance and time).

Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 PM

13 posts, read 38,628 times
Renewable clean cheap energy.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:20 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,688,527 times
The next big thing in science that I'd like to see is that at least 1/2 of a HS graduating class actually know something about science.

If that happened maybe some of the BS that tries to pass as science would be cast off before it ever gets off the ground.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:27 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,403,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
The next big thing in science that I'd like to see is that at least 1/2 of a HS graduating class actually know something about science.

If that happened maybe some of the BS that tries to pass as science would be cast off before it ever gets off the ground.

Can you be more specific?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:19 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,688,031 times
Thank you for your replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology