Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:24 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The movie that comes to mind as the most scientifically feasible while remaining thought-provoking and interesting is Contact.
Bravo. Like a lot of people I wasn't exactly thrilled w/the ending either (although not because the alien wasn't some glitzy hollywood alien), but the build up to that point was great because it did have a believability and realism that few sci fi movies have, as well as some great science vs faith kind of dialogue ("did you love your father? prove it").

Also had to comment on this:

Quote:
I find it hysterically funny that the most thought provoking Science Fiction Movies are ALL from many decades past; tells me something about the sorry state of education, especially SCIENCE education/information in our current society. No wonder we are so far behind the rest of the world in MATH/SCIENCE and educational attainment in general!
? I have no idea how that is "funny" -? Frankly I find it sad, even scary.

But also (and somewhat ironically) I don't think it's because we're lacking in math/science. Our problem is a lack of creativity and imagination.

And small wonder, as kids today scarcely need any, since most of their toys are these video games/etc that require precious little if any imagination whatsoever...further, many of their other activities (sports, dance classes etc) are so obsessively organized it's ridiculous. I'm not trying to say "everything was better in the old days," but when I grew up we had no electronic doo-dads; most of our play time was out in the back yard with little if any"props" and we often just made up games and/or rules for games on the fly.

It is very sad how that has seemingly all but evaporated....and again therefore hardly surprising to me that not just sci fi but our entertainment fields in general have become so stale. Look at all the remakes of things that come out now; it's because they're running out of ideas. You didn't have that back when.

/soapbox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 03:51 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
AS another poster mentioned...I find it hysterically funny that the most thought provoking Science Fiction Movies are ALL from many decades past; tells me something about the sorry state of education, especially SCIENCE education/information in our current society. No wonder we are so far behind the rest of the world in MATH/SCIENCE and educational attainment in general!
In the 1950s and 1960s scientists where considered of national importance to security and defeating the Communists (notice how the 'Communist Invasion' is a common theme in many of the sci-fi flicks from the time?), and during the 60s, astronauts were considered national heros. It was also a time when science and technology were thought to better everyone's lives (Better Living Through Chemistry!).

Everything changed in the 70s, probably as a result of the energy and economic crisis of the time. It was a wake-up call and the Average Joe realized that we would not be living like the Jetson's any time soon. People just lost interest and major events around the globe took center stage. The advent of the Space Shuttle should have pushed us back into the wonderment of the 60s, but honestly I think that everyone was a little too convinced that we were going to get nuked by the Russians to really look to the future with as much excitement.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Bravo. Like a lot of people I wasn't exactly thrilled w/the ending either (although not because the alien wasn't some glitzy hollywood alien), but the build up to that point was great because it did have a believability and realism that few sci fi movies have, as well as some great science vs faith kind of dialogue ("did you love your father? prove it").

Also had to comment on this:

? I have no idea how that is "funny" -? Frankly I find it sad, even scary.

But also (and somewhat ironically) I don't think it's because we're lacking in math/science. Our problem is a lack of creativity and imagination.

And small wonder, as kids today scarcely need any, since most of their toys are these video games/etc that require precious little if any imagination whatsoever...further, many of their other activities (sports, dance classes etc) are so obsessively organized it's ridiculous. I'm not trying to say "everything was better in the old days," but when I grew up we had no electronic doo-dads; most of our play time was out in the back yard with little if any"props" and we often just made up games and/or rules for games on the fly.

It is very sad how that has seemingly all but evaporated....and again therefore hardly surprising to me that not just sci fi but our entertainment fields in general have become so stale. Look at all the remakes of things that come out now; it's because they're running out of ideas. You didn't have that back when.

/soapbox
FUNNY was meant sarcastically...not "funny" as in I'm laughing

Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
In the 1950s and 1960s scientists where considered of national importance to security and defeating the Communists (notice how the 'Communist Invasion' is a common theme in many of the sci-fi flicks from the time?), and during the 60s, astronauts were considered national heros. It was also a time when science and technology were thought to better everyone's lives (Better Living Through Chemistry!).

Everything changed in the 70s, probably as a result of the energy and economic crisis of the time. It was a wake-up call and the Average Joe realized that we would not be living like the Jetson's any time soon. People just lost interest and major events around the globe took center stage. The advent of the Space Shuttle should have pushed us back into the wonderment of the 60s, but honestly I think that everyone was a little too convinced that we were going to get nuked by the Russians to really look to the future with as much excitement.
I remember the time period very well from memory. After the Soviets successfully launched Sputnik and our country had successive satellite/rocket launch disasters; there was a new emphasis placed on Science, as evidenced by the myriad of Space Cartoons from that era. As well as our iniative to be the first to land on the Moon. The cartoons were designed to encourage children of my generation to pursue careers in Science/Astronomy/Space Exploration etcetera.

As you allude to......our country got complacent and has lost it's way, after we had beaten the Soviets to the Moon. Although the kids of my generation actually had drills in school to "survive" a nuclear blast, it was basically bend over and kiss your a$$ goodbye; but I do NOT think the fear of nuclear war had as much to do with our scientific "push" as simply falling behind the Communist Block in technology and appearing to therefore possess the inferior political system.....both countries were vying to "lead the world"; not blow it up. If we annihilated one another, than there would be nobody left to say "our way was better". .

Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
as regarding the state of our national education levels, i'll just point out that hollywood is not even remotely close to an accurate indicator.

i think that my favorite somewhat plausible science fiction movie is still contact. stargate is in there somewhere too.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
as regarding the state of our national education levels, i'll just point out that hollywood is not even remotely close to an accurate indicator.

i think that my favorite somewhat plausible science fiction movie is still contact. stargate is in there somewhere too.
IMHO...I have to disagree...Though Hollywood does not reflect my particular interests, nor perhaps yours...obviously it is a "given" that it is a true reflection of our society; as evidenced by it's power within our news/culture/habits/values and of course many TENS of BILLIONS of dollars in ticket sales.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I loved this movie; scared the crap out of me when I saw it in a theater when I was 10.

YouTube - omega man trailer

Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I loved this movie; scared the crap out of me when I saw it in a theater when I was 10.

YouTube - omega man trailer
I have heard of this film but I have not seen it; I'll have to check it out.....thanx for the trailer. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology