U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM

25,587 posts, read 29,351,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickdiaz22 View Post
Can I built a wooden fence about 6in near it to seperate my lawn from neighbors
Sure, but you will really **** off the power company. They will cut out your posts with a chain saw. There was an idiot who drilled through a transformer box to mount a rain gauge. Not sure if he was stuck with the bill to replace the transorfer or not.

You also run the risk of hitting an electrical line which would knock you on your ass and could even kill you. All this for a fence? 7200 volts or 480 volts neither are to be trifled with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM

12,506 posts, read 17,471,963 times
Default Aluminum is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I'm considering buying a house with one of those green electrical transformer boxes in the front yard. ...thoughts on how much EMF's these transformer boxes produce? What are the health risks of living so close to one of these boxes? Given that I will be pregnant in the next few years, this is also a concern.
Wrap your stomach in aluminum foil and you will be OK.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,337 times
If it got hit by lightening and blew up is there hazardous materials to be concerned about? That is what happened at my wife's school. I am concerned about the kids.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 PM

25,587 posts, read 29,351,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charneski View Post
If it got hit by lightening and blew up is there hazardous materials to be concerned about? That is what happened at my wife's school. I am concerned about the kids.
No. The transformers have basically mineral oil in them. The days of nasty stuff have been gone for 40 years.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:07 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,488,173 times
Quote:
Here is a photo of it. Can anyone clarify further exactly what this is?

If it's on your property it should pay rent.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,599 times
Default I'd be asked the right folks

Just to day the electric comp and some environmental group and a whole lotta trucks showed up at the big green box across the street, all I got was there was a leak, then they removed 5-55gal drums of dirt whitch they sealed, contaminated some how, never gave it a thought till now. Yep a bit courious what could have leaked

Old 08-08-2016, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,599 times
Mineral oil thank you!

Old 08-11-2016, 06:16 PM

8,328 posts, read 8,516,028 times
Quote:
My question is: how can I find out if these types of transformers emit EMFs and/or any other kind of harmful electromagnetic fields. It is very close to the house which is why I have concerns.
I don't think it is a stupid question, and here is your best answer.

Quote:
Are transformers a problem?
In regard to transformers on poles and transformers on the ground in residential neighborhoods, probably not. The magnetic field is very high close to these units, but drops off rapidly as one moves away. At 4 to 5 feet the field is usually down to background levels, and people are seldom that close for a significant period of time.
So don't spend more than a half hour within 5 feet of the transformer. If you must garden the shrubbery that obscures the box, then do it in stages.

The problem is that electricity can only be transmitted a maximum of roughly 250-300 feet at the voltage you use in your house. So the electric company usually transmits into a residential neighborhood at 30 times higher voltage. But when it comes close to your home it must be stepped down (or transformed) into a lower voltage. While it is possible to have a single transformer that steps down the voltage to just one home (about a 150 pound device usually attached to a utility pole) that is not very economic. So your green box is probably stepping down the voltage for 4-6 nearby homes.

As to whose yard gets the box, it is more or less the luck of the draw, and part of the engineering of the original development.

Transformers that hang on utility poles are often called "pole pigs" because people think they look like a pig with curly tails and ears.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_q-sehBv1kz...w_pig_full.jpg

Old 08-11-2016, 08:43 PM

25,219 posts, read 36,602,015 times
This thread was started in April of 2010. I think the OP has died from radiation exposure by now...

Old 08-22-2016, 05:58 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,932,006 times
I wonder how that residential transformer EMF would compare to this stuff:

Antique high-frequency alternating current generator

Last edited by Tantalust; 08-22-2016 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: I forget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or