U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:05 AM

60 posts, read 27,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
No. The transformers have basically mineral oil in them. The days of nasty stuff have been gone for 40 years.
Exactly. The PCB stuff was made illegal in '79. (At least one former huge blue-chip company tended to make an environmental mess with this stuff....) I still have an old pole pig or two sitting around somewhere.

I wouldn't worry about AC magnetic fields; I think there is some concern about very high level DC fields... don't remember. But they are not common.

Fortunately I had a direct family member in research for 40 years dealing with electromagnetism, and though with his later papers, I had a really hard time understanding them even though I was an EE (sort of like reading Nature if you are not a research physician).. he taught me at least the basics of it, and not to worry about AC fields.

So other than the visual annoyance... not a problem (unless it hums loudly, due to the transformer stackplates starting to delaminate.

No wonder I named my past dogs Tesla, Faraday and Joule ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 599 times
Default Please read

That box does not radiate EMR or electromagnetic radiation. It is simply an electrical box with cables connecting to your home underground. Now, about EMR. It is all around you, at this very second there are many different sources of EMR radiating on you. That is because quite frankly EMR is light. White light, red, orange, yellow, indigo, violet, LED, LCD, etc. But not only that, it is microwaves, radiowaves, infrared and UV rays, as well as x-rays and gamma rays. And although some of those words may seem scary, ex. Gamma, you cannot associate the entire types as dangerous, there are specific frequency that are dangerous which also means your microwave is not. But remember electricity is just electricity it is not EMR, also note some people may call it ER, EMF,etc but the correct name is EMR

Old 11-23-2017, 12:47 PM

13,112 posts, read 18,715,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
No. The transformers have basically mineral oil in them. The days of nasty stuff have been gone for 40 years.
Not entirely true.
In 2014, my father called the electric company because he was only getting 90-ish volts and his washing machine was misbehaving.
The company came out and said: "oops, we should have replaced that transformer (containing PCB) 20+ years ago"
They bought him a new washer and dryer.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 312 times
What is the address on the box for? Is it associated with my address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or