U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2010, 05:02 PM

15,292 posts, read 11,966,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
he is really a science experiment left behind where they pumped him up with Chlorophyll and engineered his body hair to act as a type of "root" system to bring in moister from the out site.
Now I know why Mr. Spock had that GREEN blood...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM

879 posts, read 518,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Ah, I am not so sure about that anymore. Even some particle physicists don't believe in absolute truths anymore.
Well, we will probably hear of further tests regarding that guy.
Absolute truth is a quest, maybe not attainable but a noble quest nevertheless. Theories have allowed us to understand enough about our physical world to afford us the ability to communicate at the speed of light, remove life threatening cancers and super tumors, and play video games where 256 players can simultaneously interact. Particle physicists do believe in the quest for the absolute truth that is what drives them.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 AM

16,416 posts, read 9,578,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Absolute truth is a quest, maybe not attainable but a noble quest nevertheless. Theories have allowed us to understand enough about our physical world to afford us the ability to communicate at the speed of light, remove life threatening cancers and super tumors, and play video games where 256 players can simultaneously interact. Particle physicists do believe in the quest for the absolute truth that is what drives them.
Well, if those of them who believe there are parallel universes are right, then there might not be an absolute truth after all.
The way I see it, if someone believes in any gods, they cannot rule out phenomena like the one dealt with in this thread. Only an absolute atheist can reject such phenomena without being a hypocrite.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM

4,113 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Here's an interesting article on the subject about the breatharian in question which is also called a Prahlad Jani. On one occasion it said he survived without food or water for 10 days. At the end of that period, it is said that he had lost weight, not much, but a loss just the same. It doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to realize what kind of weight loss there'd be over a period of 70 years.

The article further says the man's claims are supported by an Indian doctor who specializes in studies of people who make supernatural claims. It doesn't say he is a medical doctor. He could just be an individual who uses folk practices, chants, oddball elixers and misc. herbal blends, that some locals consider as a local "doctor". Regardless, it appears this doctor is dismissed as a "village fraud". That certainly doesn't make his testimony very reliable.
Man claims to have had no food or drink for 70 years - Telegraph

This isn't the first time such extraordinary claims have been made about people who have gone for long periods of time without eating or drinking. The same thing was claimed about a 15-year-old boy, in Nepal, named Ram Bahadur Bamjan, nicknamed "Buddha Boy," who would meditate for long periods of time. Long lines of people flocked to see this miraculous young man. As I recall, "guards" roped off an area around the boy to prevent people from getting too close. There were periods of time when access for public viewing was closed. Perhaps to conceal a bit of deception?

According to another article a French TV crew filmed the young man eating fruit and an AFP correespondant caught him napping. I haven't yet found the video, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's been posted somewhere on the Internet. The whole thing has the strong earmarks of a hoax, which is pretty typical in that part of the world, and falls in line with other mystical tricks like levitating yogis, the famous Indian rope trick, etc.
Nepal 'Buddha Boy' returns to jungle

YouTube - secret of levitation in india

That not to say that a person in deep meditation can't accomplish some remarkable achievements. It's possible a person can live for some amazingly long periods of time without food. Without water or liquid, survival can plunge within a much shorter period of time from dehydration. But no food or water for 70 years? Sounds like this aging breatharian isn't exactly telling the whole story.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 PM

He he, who would have thought levitation is so simple But then again, who knows if they all use that trick? It could be like with UFOs. When fakes are published, does that mean there are no real UFOs?

While we're at it, how did Copperfield walk through the Chinese Wall?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:44 PM

4,113 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Quote:
He he, who would have thought levitation is so simple But then again, who knows if they all use that trick? It could be like with UFOs. When fakes are published, does that mean there are no real UFOs?

While we're at it, how did Copperfield walk through the Chinese Wall?
It's quite a leap from a guy who claims to live with no food or water for 70 years but rather lives entirely from eating sunlight, to UFOs and the Great Wall of China. LOL! But if there's anything in common between them, it would be that they seem difficult to explain. UFOs could be anything, including natural phenomena. But when some people see them, maybe because of perspective, distance, a combination of things, they are unknown as to what they might be. As a result, it's a natural thing to try to satisfy ourselves with some kind of explanation, and a popular one is explain them as an ET-type of spacecraft. Since there's no solid evidence of any alien spacecraft hovering around the planet, the real answer at the present time is that we don't always know what the things are. That's why they're called Unidentified Flying Objects. If we knew for sure they were alien spacecraft, they'd no longer be "unidentified".

With regard to the levitation, there's no question that everyone do not all use the same technique. People like Copperfield, Criss Angel, or Indian yogis, etc., all use different techniques in order to appear to defy gravity. What they all have in common is the clever use of the art of misdirection to something else and/or by props, gimmicks and equipment to accomplish the same objective in order to create an illusion that looks real, but clearly isn't real at all. We all know it isn't real, but if the illusion is expertly done, we're left with a feeling of wonder about how such an impossible thing could be done. Why? It's because illusionists generally don't reveal their trade secrets which in turn greatly enhances the mystery. It applies to Copperfield's illusion of walking through the Great Wall of China as well, or making the Statue of Liberty, or Diamondhead in Hawaii, or an aircraft carrier vanish.

So how could mystics like the breatharian or Buddha Boy manage to survive without food or water over profoundly long periods of time? With the Buddha Boy, his secret seems pretty much out of the bag. With the old breatharian, I don't know how he does it, but I think it's not unreasonable to consider that he's cleverly employing some form of deception. Things are not always what they seem to be. It's possible to manage to do without food or water for an unusual period of time, but not for 70 years. It'd be interesting to see someone like James Randi put the old boy to the test. I suspect the breatharian would likely slip up and fail.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 AM

879 posts, read 518,462 times
Quote:
Well, if those of them who believe there are parallel universes are right, then there might not be an absolute truth after all.
The way I see it, if someone believes in any gods, they cannot rule out phenomena like the one dealt with in this thread. Only an absolute atheist can reject such phenomena without being a hypocrite.
It would seem that you are implying that one cannot believe in god and also have a growing and practical understanding of the physics of our universe. I guess it depends on your definition of god, and your practical knowledge of the universe.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
It would seem that you are implying that one cannot believe in god and also have a growing and practical understanding of the physics of our universe. I guess it depends on your definition of god, and your practical knowledge of the universe.
Well, by god I mean most of the gods of standard religions.
I just find it contradictory to believe in some things that defy logics (such as gods or prophets) while rejecting other phenomena such as paranormal ones that we also don't have explanations for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology