Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
But when your military technologies and abilities surpass that of your closest potential rival by almost 30 years (china) what would building additional weapons platforms do for you?

Except bankrupt you?
Try 2018 for China and current 2010 for Russia.

The russians back in january this year (2010) unveiled their newest fighter jet that supposedly rivals our F-22's and China is set to launch around 2018 it's super fighter jet that also will rival our F-22's.

That being said yes i do agree that there's tremendous waste and fraud in our military procurements and i wish i had the answer for that. Do they still purchase the $200 toilet seats etc??

AFP: Russia unveils top secret new fighter

New Chinese fighter jet expected by 2018: U.S. intelligence | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 08:05 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
O.k. i did some digging on the specs of the Nimitz class and her aircraft although Asheville Native would be the expert here for us since he served on a carrier and i served on destroyers.

The Japanese invasion force launched a total of 353 planes to attack Pearl Harbor and the USS Nimitz in the movie had 90 aircraft although some were non combat i.e. P-3 Orions and Helicoptors etc. as i'm going to assume that the CO had around 75 F-14's and A-7's total to attack the Japanese planes?? Also i believe that each plane carried 4 missiles i.e. 2 Sidewinder and 2 Sparrow along with thousands of rounds of 20 mm ammo and so i assume that the USS Nimitz and it's combat aircraft in that movie would have had enough armament to confront the entire dec 1941 Japanese air attack force on Pearl Harbor had they gone back in time as they did in the movie.

So my thoughts are yes the USS Nimitz could have taken on the Dec 7, 1941 Japanese attack force that bombed Pearl Harbor that day.

Actually at the end of the movie the CO launched everything he had to destroy them and his planes had visual with the Japanese planes and they were getting ready to fire missiles on them and then ............. i can't tell as i'd give away the movie
I concur...One modern CVN could have destroyed the invading Japanese fleet...

Old 05-30-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Try 2018 for China and current 2010 for Russia.

The russians back in january this year (2010) unveiled their newest fighter jet that supposedly rivals our F-22's and China is set to launch around 2018 it's super fighter jet that also will rival our F-22's.

That being said yes i do agree that there's tremendous waste and fraud in our military procurements and i wish i had the answer for that. Do they still purchase the $200 toilet seats etc??

AFP: Russia unveils top secret new fighter

New Chinese fighter jet expected by 2018: U.S. intelligence | Reuters
I used to get mad at the toilet seats and hammers...BUT the Pentagon really does not pay those prices for common equipment. As far as I am aware....those are accounting "tricks" to "hide" the militay's BLACK and DARPA programs.
DARPA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AND thanx for the additional and informative links! And as you say...we are NOT nearly so far ahead of our adversaries as lay people think...for instance....Russia had vectored thrust(thust vectoring) on their jet fighters at least a decade or two before we just...now...have a limited capability with the new generation of fighters. Russia invented that advanced technology and as far as I know and are still well ahead of the United States in that capability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_vectoring

Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Ummm...since you are not averse to people wasting YOUR hard-earned money how about giving me some and I'll buy something flashy and unnecessary that costs a fortune to keep up?
Like a Bentley.

Most of us are concerned where our tax dollars are going.
And most don't want something that this country can't afford and doesn't need.
Excuse me but you are NOT the only poster who pays taxes. You have your opinions and I have mine. Government waste/fraud is rampant but the thread is about the newest class of aircraft carriers NOT where our tax dollars are being wasted. PLEASE stay on topic. IMHO...in this violent and volatile world with China achieving SuperPower status; a Nuclear Powered fleet of at least 10 to 12 NEW aircraft Carriers is an absolute priority.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I concur...One modern CVN could have destroyed the invading Japanese fleet...
It could destroy Japan, several times over, I know what we carried in the late 60's, and I'm sure the Nimitz class surpasses that.

Former bird farm sailor
USS Saratoga CVA-60 "W" Div

Old 06-01-2010, 02:45 PM

I assume you mean with nuclear armed missiles and/or bombs; which I am aware they often carry but if I remember correctly....the Navy officially denies this practice. ;-)

Old 06-02-2010, 11:11 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
I assume you mean with nuclear armed missiles and/or bombs; which I am aware they often carry but if I remember correctly....the Navy officially denies this practice. ;-)
Yes, I did work in "W" division, The keepers of the Genie.
One variation of the division patch.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Thanx....you answered my "question"; Yes I agree with you on those criteria that the scenario you describe could transpire. .

Here's a link to the additional ships that are included in a Carrier Task Force.....usually 2 Ticonderoga Class Guided Missile Cruisers; 2 Los Angeles Class Attack Submarines; 3 Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers and other support vessels.

I realize you are aware of this information, but some posters may not be aware of the ships involved.

Carrier Strike Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - USS Abraham Lincon and Strike Group transit the Philippine S

YouTube - USS Stennis Strike Group

YouTube - US Navy ships Carrier Strike Group Seven

YouTube - CVN-68 NIMITZ and Battle Group( THUNDERSTRUCK)

YouTube - US Aircraft Carrier Fleet Evolution - The Greatest Navy "City of Steel" Fleet

Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Asheville Native ... were you a Missile Tech or Gunners Mate ??

My first two years i was in deck division pulling Helm, Lee Helm and Lookout watches and then i became a QM as i loved working up on the Bridge . Infact i stood so many Helm watches that i'll never forget how to steer a ship

Officer of the Watch
''Helmsman, left standard rudder (17 degrees turn) come to new course 270''
Helmsman (me)
''Come to new course 270 aye sir''
''Sir my rudder is at left standard and passing course 030 ... 020 ... 010 ...''
Officer of the Watch
''Belay your headings'' (stop announcing every 10 degrees)
Helmsman
''Belay my headings aye sir''

And then depending how how fast the ship is going you have to time it just right as about 25 degrees out you then spin the helm in the opposite direction fast as you can as the ship takes a while to react to turn (think titanic and iceberg collision) and then if your good you'll have the ship going in the new direction and not overshoot your Gyro Compass new heading.

Don't get me started on the Officer of the Watch and Lee Helmsman orders

Old 06-03-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Thanx....you answered my "question"; Yes I agree with you on those criteria that the scenario you describe could transpire. .

Here's a link to the additional ships that are included in a Carrier Task Force.....usually 2 Ticonderoga Class Guided Missile Cruisers; 2 Los Angeles Class Attack Submarines; 3 Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers and other support vessels.

I realize you are aware of this information, but some posters may not be aware of the ships involved.

Carrier Strike Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - USS Abraham Lincon and Strike Group transit the Philippine S
PITTS

Cool seeing them on forward lookout with their ''sound powered phones'' on as that brings back memories and yeap you get to see alot of stuff that the average sailor doesn't have a chance to see from way up above the Bridge

Go Navy !!! As we rule !!!

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 06-03-2010 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology