Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:50 PM

185 posts, read 404,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
give me a break.!! they are biased and will do anything it takes to capture oil and not seal the well.. i mean come on they have done nothing but lie from day one why should i believe anything they say.?? like i said i check the live feed every single day and nothing has changed since they placed the lmrp on top of the bop...
Take off your tin foil hat, dude. Present some evidence of all the lying "from day one", and you might not come across as a clueless conspiracy theorist.

Quote:
well let's get something straight..!!! the well head is at 5000 feet right.!!
and at 5000 feet it's pitch black in other words you can't see a darn thing .!!except with video..!!! so it would make sence to make the calculations based on video evidence right.. bb withheld video evidence from day one. the first vid did not get released till the 23 days after the rig sank.. we all know they where trying to cover up the real truth.. actually i laugh now everytime a bp spokes person opens their trap..cause everything they say is hyped up lies just to calm the stock holders.. they just did 50 million in addvertising when all the fishermen are going broke..!! they use corexit to sink the oil in the gulf, and it is banned in the uk.. these people care nothing but for the bottom line.

i think someone should smack the bp spokes person in the trap with a oily rubber chicken everytime they open their mouth..
That video feed that they decided to share is proprietary; they didn't have to release it at all. And no, the video is only one part of the equation. There are other considerations determining flow. The point that I was trying to make is that your assumption that, even with LMRP, the flow has increased and blowing 70kbbs is fallacious.

One again, what are your qualifications for making such assumptions? Do you study flow parameters? What have you published?

Try to get any information on the gulf, other than flow, and see what happens... you can't. All of the oil companies with hold information. Hell, you can't even get a decent strat column for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The 12-19k est. was the lower RANGE estimate according to two members of the NOAA panel. IOW, the low end was between 12-19k. The upper end was 50-70k as i recall. So the actual RANGE was guestimated 12-70k bbls/day by NOAA.

BP estimated that the flow would increase by at least 20 percent after they cut the riser pipe and installed the cap.
Those upper numbers are from a study used flawed methodology, poor reasoning, and sloppy analysis. The report is a joke. The lead author chose to prostitute himself on network news, and to congress. Now, that it has been shown to be fundamentally flawed, no one uses those numbers except the alarmists wanting a reaction.

The best analysis to date is the USGS numbers of 12-19k.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post
Take off your tin foil hat, dude. Present some evidence of all the lying "from day one", and you might not come across as a clueless conspiracy theorist.

That video feed that they decided to share is proprietary; they didn't have to release it at all. And no, the video is only one part of the equation. There are other considerations determining flow. The point that I was trying to make is that your assumption that, even with LMRP, the flow has increased and blowing 70kbbs is fallacious.

One again, what are your qualifications for making such assumptions? Do you study flow parameters? What have you published?

Try to get any information on the gulf, other than flow, and see what happens... you can't. All of the oil companies with hold information. Hell, you can't even get a decent strat column for the area.
you can defend bp all you want,,^^^^ and i can tell you that the truth will come out sooner or later.. they can't hide from this one.!!!!

well lets see^^^^^^ it takes a 8 horse power engin 20 minutes to pump 32 hundred gallons of water thru a 3 inch hose..thats 96 hundred gallons a hour, x ..24 hours= 230 thousand gallons a day, the riser pipe is a 21 inch diameter pipe, and ocean pressure at 5000 feet is about 23 hundred psi,, the well pressure is 13 thousand psi subtract 23 hundred psi, and you are left with ten thousand 700 psi,, so if a 8 horse power engin can pump 230,000 gallons a day just imagine how much oil will flow thru a 21 inch pipe at 10 thousand 700 psi.. i have a 3200 psi presure washer and i can tell you it will cut your skin off. and that's ony one third of the pressure thats blasting out of the well head.. like i said before you brobably work for bp ,,and if you do you have an axe to grind.. you are the only person i've heard or read thats backing bp.. well they can't fool me..!!!

have a good oily day...

post note you didn't answere my question.. how does a 21 inch pipe with a 90 degree bend not flow more oil when it's cut at a spot in the pipe that has a full 21 inch diameter all the way around.???. stop beating around the bush..
like i said the truth will come out in good time..

Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Someone's got an unhealthy obsession.. I'm not sayin' who, but their brain's gonna explode if they keep it up...
lool.... if you are referring to me,, i can tell you my head will not explod, unlike the bp blowout preventer.. i have a resease valve. and it's called heineken, nothing like a few greenies to release pressure..

this is a epic oil gusher,, people need to voice there opinions.. bp needs to get a good whipping..!! not a slap on the hand,, i hate to see all the wild life suffering cause of someones greedytard ways,, it's just down right criminal..

Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
like i said before you brobably work for bp ,,and if you do you have an axe to grind.. you are the only person i've heard or read thats backing bp.. well they can't fool me..!!!

have a good oily day...

post note you didn't answere my question.. how does a 21 inch pipe with a 90 degree bend not flow more oil when it's cut at a spot in the pipe that has a full 21 inch diameter all the way around.???. stop beating around the bush..
like i said the truth will come out in good time..
First: I don't work for BP.

Second: I am not defending BP, just trying to shed some light and clear up some misconceptions. And you are right, it all will come out, eventually. This well was FUBAR long before the blow out. I could go into detail, but I won't. If you want to learn more, find the mud logs. That is where the tragedy started.

Third: The riser is 19.5", not 21". And, I never said cutting the riser wouldn't increase flow. As to the amount-I don't study fluid mechanics, but I trust the opinions of those that do.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
First: I don't work for BP.

Second: I am not defending BP, just trying to shed some light and clear up some misconceptions. And you are right, it all will come out, eventually. This well was FUBAR long before the blow out. I could go into detail, but I won't. If you want to learn more, find the mud logs. That is where the tragedy started.

Third: The riser is 19.5", not 21". And, I never said cutting the riser wouldn't increase flow. As to the amount-I don't study fluid mechanics, but I trust the opinions of those that do.

this is the last post i'm going to make on this subject i've seen failure after failure with stopping the flow of this gusher.. i wanted to clairify some things about the second idea i posted, the one about crimping the end of the riser at the 90 degree bend on top of the bop on the pipe.. when bp engineers pumped the mod shot, junk shot muliple times they knew full well that you have to pump more pressure into the bore column than what was coming out,,!! so if the well pressure is 13.k psi that means you would have to pump the mud into the bore column at more than 13.k psi.. bp engineers were trying to pump the mud like 2000 to 3000 feet down the bore hole. so i would figure that if they were trying to get the mud down that far to cement the bore hole. they would have had to pump the mud at at least 13.5 psi.. so in a sence they had proven with the mud shot that the bop could withstand the pressure they exerted. where as the crimp would not have increased the pressure in the bop or casing column to more than 13.k psi.. i mean come on it was the most simple idea that read yet and it would have surly have cut the flow to at least 95 percent.

it seems to me bp is more concerned about oil capture methods than sealing the well.. they are good at drilling,, bad at fixing.. but this is just another wake up call at how bad we humans are at disaster scenaio respoce..!!! i can't even imagine the chaos that will insue after some global disaster event. everything thats been created by humans has been done by trial and error..well we are playing with the very systems that keep the earth a livable place,, evertything has a limit..!! and we are pushing the envelope to the extremes.. if we break the wrong systems we only hurt ourselves.. the earth will heal but without humans

Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
I'm with the Russians. Just nuke it. They were able to stop several of their gushers in just a few weeks while we're up to 1.5 months and they're telling us it won't stop until the fall.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Those numbers are ridiculous. They came from a report that has been shown to have used flawed methodology and poor analysis... thoroughly debunked.

USGS estimates 12-19kbbs/day. Most of those knowledgeable in petroleum extraction put the numbers around 15kbbs.
That's 12-19kbbs per day in just the one well, right? Where as there are supposedly three leaking wells.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:35 PM

There is obstructions in the production casement that inhibited flow, so even though formation pressure is around 13kpsi, at the well head the pressure is about 3-4kpsi. You are right about failure, and that is the fault of the media. The only real hope of killing the well is the relief wells that will be finished this summer.

Everyone in the business knew that "top kill" was doomed to failure, and it might have made a bad situation worse(sub-surface blowout); it was Obama's administration that ended this dangerous procedure.

AFAIK, flow on a wild well has never been stopped with a dump kill... they were hoping for a miracle.

For the most part, deep water wells are safe, and the engineering involved is solid. But, when one ignores multiple warnings of instability, the consequences can be catastrophic.

This is where the criminal investigation comes into play-there were obvious signs that the well was unstable hours before the explosion. At least 6 hours before the blowout, a dump kill was recommended, but this thing was over budget by 6 weeks... they had poured a ton of money into that hole, and the idiot corporate types didn't want to eat it.

You know what? Sometimes you have to eat it... that is the nature of the beast.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'm with the Russians. Just nuke it. They were able to stop several of their gushers in just a few weeks while we're up to 1.5 months and they're telling us it won't stop until the fall.
No they didn't! Did you read what I posted regarding that idiot proposal?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14512352-post22.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology