Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times

Advertisements

Drain the ocean by shooting the water into space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
bp claims they are capturing 16 thousand barrels a day.. well i guess this proves the higher flow estimates are correct.. the live feed still looks the same..!! and they keep saying they are capturing more oil,, dang they are burying themselve deeper and deeper with all the lies every day..if pb was pinokio,, bp's nose would stretch to the moon and back..

Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 AM

185 posts, read 404,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Drain the ocean by shooting the water into space.
Best ideal, yet.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times

Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 PM

new estimates put runaway oil gusher at 20 to 40 thousand barrels a day.. i think the real number is 40 to 60 thousand barrels a day.. i've come up with about 22 to 30 gallons a second based on all the video evidence relased. i think all the wild life shown on the news is just a fraction of the tip, of a very large ice berg. the bulk of the critters are sinking to the bottom of the gulf..

bp probably wishes they crimped pinched the end of that riser pipe now

Old 06-10-2010, 06:07 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,400 times
The way I see it you can try to stop the flow altogether, or try to funnel the flow into a place where it can be controlled and captured. It would be in BP's best interest to stop the flow so that pressure is maintained in this 'artesian oil well' for efficient pumping at a later date. The main problem is this is a well pretty deep under the ocean, that is sending out a big flow.

To funnel the flow to an area where it can be taken would be difficult, it would be hard to line up all of the different levels of ocean and its speed and direction to set up some sort of containment circle on the surface, and I'd assume it spreads out a great deal on its journey up to the surface, and with hurricane season on, that little pond and the ships skimming off of it could lead to repeated disaster. Capturing as much oil as possible is a good idea now, but doesn't seem like a long term thing.

To stop it, I don't know if that would necessarily be possible. If it were sealed off, there would still be pressure in the well, it would probably be injected into the sediments all around the plug and would percolate up at a slower speed until another well could be drilled nearby to steal the majority of the flow. As I understand it would take months to get going on another well.

To plug it at those depths, I would say the best bet is just to work at reducing the flow repeatedly, adding more and more mass down there and more and more pieces that can limit the flow. I'm not thinking that one simple and quick solution can take care of it.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,596 times
Why not drop an old aircraft carrier, filled with boulders and supplemented with more boulders, on top of the leak. Is that enough to stop it?

Lastly, what's with the cut throat comments blaming conservatives for wanting to drill? Y'all still driving cars to work right? Oh, I see... everyone has now decided to ride bikes to work. For that green job desinging cars that runs on something other than fossil fuels? Forgot, we all plan to grow our hair long and eat granola. Oh sorry, didn't mean to profile. Anyway, last I checked, Obama y Pelosi and other supreme libs rely on fossil fuels to travel so let's be clear we are all in this together (the oil dependence thingy). You don't like it? Well you can pay more to have the middle east friendlies do it or you can invent the next big thing otherwise don't blame conservatives because they have a non PC catch phrase - drill baby drill.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 AM

new flow estimates 35 to 60 thousand barrels a day,>> i revise my estimate to one barrel a second or 96 thousand barrels a day

Old 06-17-2010, 09:41 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
well here's one that should have been done in the first week. the vid at the bottom shows the 21 inch riser pipe gushing oil and gas. why the hell haven't they taken a 5 ton blunt demolition drop chisel and drop it up and down on top of the end of the riser pipe to crimp it.. thats low tech and could be done with a crane and a barge. it could not make it any worse. it's just to obvious and would definitely work. that big riser pipe is the main reason the top kill junk shot method won't work the gap at the bend on the bop is to wide and all the mud and junk they send in to the bop just gets ejected thru the large opening.. if they did this then the junk shot could work cause the holes at the top of the bop are not that big, and would be plugged by the mud and rubber tire parts and other junk sent into the bop.. sounds like rocket science to me

YouTube - BP Gulf Oil Spill Leak Plume Gusher Disaster Video

the end of this riser pipe needs to be crimped, then the top kill junk shot has a real chance of success.. i can guarantee it will never work with such a large opening.!!!
WKRG.com Live Oil Spill Cam - live streaming video powered by Livestream
here is the link^^^ to live feed footage of top of bop.. another idea is to take the rov's and screw big threaded screws into the holes at the top of the bop to slow the flow of oil and gas escaping thru the holes. if they did both of these ideas i suggested i would say the junk mud shot would work..
this is a link to what a ten ton drop chisel looks likehttp://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/5699613/used_rock_chisel_weight.html#none

any people have a good idea post it.!! it cant hurt..
I've got it! Drill a relief well to pump kill fluid into the existing wellbore!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
bp claims they are capturing 16 thousand barrels a day.. well i guess this proves the higher flow estimates are correct.. the live feed still looks the same..!! and they keep saying they are capturing more oil,, dang they are burying themselve deeper and deeper with all the lies every day..if pb was pinokio,, bp's nose would stretch to the moon and back..
Well, after all, the design was Okayed by our government....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology