U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
478 posts, read 1,026,515 times
Reputation: 110

Advertisements

Read its in the Seattle police rules that they can punch a 17 year old girl legally.

Its being a wimp but, all write their rules different all over our nation.

msnbc.com Video Player

 
Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 PM
 
1,170 posts, read 3,317,389 times
Reputation: 643
Seattle cops love to cite folks for jaywalking, not sure why, maybe their bonus pay is tied to that.

It's not like that everywhere in King County. In my town we can cross the street anywhere and so far society hasn't crumbled.
 
Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM
 
1,280 posts, read 1,366,363 times
Reputation: 533
That girl got what she deserved. She broke a law. She resisted arrest. How hard is that to understand? As much as you may think jaywalking is such a minor crime, it is there for a reason. To protect lives. She knew very well what she was doing, and her friend shouldn't have tried to shove the officer. I think both "ladies" and I use that term loosely, need to be put in jail for jaywalking and assualt of an officer.
 
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,032,318 times
Reputation: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
That girl got what she deserved. She broke a law. She resisted arrest. How hard is that to understand? As much as you may think jaywalking is such a minor crime, it is there for a reason. To protect lives. She knew very well what she was doing, and her friend shouldn't have tried to shove the officer. I think both "ladies" and I use that term loosely, need to be put in jail for jaywalking and assualt of an officer.
Put in jail for jaywalking? You generally don't jail juveniles for grabbing a cop, and I've yet to see anyone do hard time for crossing 4th avenue outside the lines.

Jaywaling IS a minor crime. Actually it's not a crime, it's a civil infraction. There's nothing criminal about jaywalking.
 
Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,298 posts, read 2,171,354 times
Reputation: 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
Read its in the Seattle police rules that they can punch a 17 year old girl legally.

Its being a wimp but, all write their rules different all over our nation.

msnbc.com Video Player
No, it's not being a wimp- when a cop is being assaulted they have to be able to take control of the situation and defend themselves. Punching is definitely better than using their gun, club, or taser, that's for sure. Nothing wrong with what was done here, the girl was grabbing the officer and even hitting him, if you were to see the whole video.
 
Old 06-16-2010, 01:31 PM
 
1,280 posts, read 1,366,363 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Put in jail for jaywalking? You generally don't jail juveniles for grabbing a cop, and I've yet to see anyone do hard time for crossing 4th avenue outside the lines.

Jaywaling IS a minor crime. Actually it's not a crime, it's a civil infraction. There's nothing criminal about jaywalking.
Well, I assume he asked her NOT to jaywalk, and when she did I assume he asked her to come to the car. I don't think he would've just punched her in the face after she crossed the street. Either way, crime or civil infraction, this girl knew what she did was wrong, no matter how minor it may seem. She would have probably just gotten a stern warning or at the most a ticket. By behaving the way she did, she and her friend got what they deserved.
 
Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
12,761 posts, read 10,811,497 times
Reputation: 6093
It's good to know that when I finally get to move to Seattle, the cops will make absolutely certain to crack down on those vicious jaywalkers. I hate to live anywhere this criminal act is allowed. I really need to get out of California. Here the police are too concerned with robberies, muggings, rapes and drunk drivers
 
Old 06-16-2010, 01:34 PM
 
1,280 posts, read 1,366,363 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's good to know that when I finally get to move to Seattle, the cops will make absolutely certain to crack down on those vicious jaywalkers. I hate to live anywhere this criminal act is allowed. I really need to get out of California. Here the police are too concerned with robberies, muggings, rapes and drunk drivers
From the looks of things, that girl is well on her way to mugging you, robbing you, raping you, and killing you or someone you know in a few years time. She has no respect for the law obviously...
 
Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
12,761 posts, read 10,811,497 times
Reputation: 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
From the looks of things, that girl is well on her way to mugging you, robbing you, raping you, and killing you or someone you know in a few years time. She has no respect for the law obviously...
You know as much about that girl as I do and you cannot watch a 30 second clip and decide that this girl is a bad person just because she jawalked We also don't know what that cop may have said to her. I'm not saying that makes how she reacted ok. I'm saying that if the cops said something to provoke her then she did not get what she deserved as you say. Also, police have many other ways of restraining a girl (especially a police man) than punching her in the face. Even I've never punched a girl int he face who's decided to get physical with me.

Yes the cop needed to restrain the girl but there's room for decent law enforcement behavior in there as well.
 
Old 06-16-2010, 01:41 PM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,032,318 times
Reputation: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Well, I assume he asked her NOT to jaywalk, and when she did I assume he asked her to come to the car. I don't think he would've just punched her in the face after she crossed the street. Either way, crime or civil infraction, this girl knew what she did was wrong, no matter how minor it may seem. She would have probably just gotten a stern warning or at the most a ticket. By behaving the way she did, she and her friend got what they deserved.
When you disobey a cop, you are asking for trouble. Nobody disputes this.

Some Seattle cops are racists. Nobody disputes this.

A toxic result of a community that mistrusts its police force. I've lived here nearly 20 years and Seattle police have ALWAYS had issues with overreaction.

I'm not sure she deserved a punch, but she did deserve to be arrested and taken in for her actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top