Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 AM

12 posts, read 51,970 times

Advertisements

We might be faced with a relo to Seattle. Yes, another one of those cases. Sorry but we don't know a lot of people there, and absolutely clueless about the area so we need your help. Based on my prioritized criteria, would you all mind replying with your thoughts/suggestions? Many, many thanks in advance!

Here it goes- here's what we're looking for (listed in order of importance):
1. REASONABLE COMMUTE: Looking at a maximum commute of 30-45 minutes for each person (by car or public transport): one person's working in Redmond and the other may be working around western Seattle- near Pike's Place Market, Pioneer Square, Seattle Art Museum, the Aquarium, etc. What would serve as a mid-point for these commutes?
2. GREAT PUBLIC SCHOOLS (SO I DON'T HAVE TO RELY ON LOOKING AT PRIVATE SCHOOL): My definition is based on test scores, solid curriculm, high parent/community involvement, and acceptable student to teacher ratio.
3. THREE OR FOUR BR SINGLE-FAM HOUSE @ $550K-ish: NOT a ramshackled fixer-upper but a solid bungalow with great bones that's ready for move-in but might have one or two reasonable projects to tackle down the road (bathroom re-do, finish the basement, etc.)
4. TRANSPLANT FAMILY-FRIENDLY: Families with kids down the street, friendly neighbors, middle-class values, parks near-by, etc.
5. WALKABLE OPTIONS: Don't need walkability-score of 99.9 but just wanting an area that has some very basic options near-by: a coffee house, a restaurant or two, dry cleaners, etc.
6. BALANCED POLITICAL VIEWS: Yes, I know it's SEATTLE, but just looking for a reasonably (for Seattle) balanced area of lefters and righters. We're conservative-lights and probably won't be happy with lots of granola and crunch.

I love these discussion boards, and probably rely on them way more than I should. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM

Oops- sorry for a few additional thoughts to add:
- We're city folk so probably focused on looking in the city of Seattle, but will say a bit intrigued by Mercer Island (don't think we could afford it tho'). Any thoughts on Mercer Island? Would it fit our criteria?
- Again, we are city people so a good house is critical, but lot size, lawn-mowing, lots of green is NOT important to us.

Thank you all!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
If you really want to be with the city of Seattle, I'd focus on northeast Seattle, such as Wedgewood, Ravenna, and Bryant, but....given your criteria:
Schools tend to be better outside of the city, and the political orientation is also less full on lefty, so...you might want to consider Bellevue or Issaquah. Bellevue is a city of over 100,000 and has a variety of neighborhoods, some more urban than others. You will be able to find a decent enough home there for under 500k.
Issaquah is really pretty and has plenty of stores and restaurants, and is probably equidistant between Redmond and downtown Seattle.
Mercer Island? It's lovely, a nice place. 550k will get you a major fixer there.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 AM

Thank you for your advice, Ira500!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:34 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Seattle schools are generally weak. You're probably better off in Redmond/Bellevue/Kirkland.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:15 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,588 times
I agree with the previous posts of Redmond, Belleuve, Kirkland and Issaquah but you should consider Samammish as well, particularly the south end so you can use I-90 to get downtown. It fits all your criteria, except for the commute downtown which can be up to 50-55 minutes in rush hour sometimes but is a good commute to Redmond. Half of Sammamish is in the Issaquah School District and the other half (the north) in Lake Washington School District, both of which are highly regarded. Here is a website that ranks schools in Washington state at all levels. I think it's primarily based on state test scores which is obviously only one indicator but certainly a starting point.

Washington school rankings by the Fraser Institute

Old 06-17-2010, 05:46 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
An Issaquah-Redmond commute is a little crummy, as is a Sammamish-downtown commute. I might suggest Redmond itself. Then at least one person would have an easy commute. The other can take a Sound transit bus downtown. There are some less expensive communities in Redmond that might be in your price range: e.g. Education Hill

Bellevue would also work well because its between both jobs. But you'll get less house for your money. Its worth looking at though.

Also, basements aren't very common here.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:31 PM

138 posts, read 463,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Also, basements aren't very common here.
I've noticed that about the houses for sale. Why is this? Just a regional thing? I grew up in an area w/o basements at all but where we live now, it's extremely unusual NOT to have a basement. I've come to love my basement as a place to send the kids when they want to play loud and rowdy and I need some quiet time. I also love having some extra storage space to cycle out my seasonal decorations, clothing, and extra supplies. I seriously have hundreds of dollars worth of diapers stacked up in my basement bedroom as well as enough toilet paper to last me through 2010. I'm a serial Target clearance hound and I'd be so sad passing up bargains because I don't have the space for it.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
I think most of the older homes (pre 1970's) in Seattle proper have basements. The cookie cutter homes in suburbia don't have them - built on concrete slabs.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyentyre View Post
We might be faced with a relo to Seattle. Yes, another one of those cases. Sorry but we don't know a lot of people there, and absolutely clueless about the area so we need your help. Based on my prioritized criteria, would you all mind replying with your thoughts/suggestions? Many, many thanks in advance!

Here it goes- here's what we're looking for (listed in order of importance):
1. REASONABLE COMMUTE: Looking at a maximum commute of 30-45 minutes for each person (by car or public transport): one person's working in Redmond and the other may be working around western Seattle- near Pike's Place Market, Pioneer Square, Seattle Art Museum, the Aquarium, etc. What would serve as a mid-point for these commutes?
2. GREAT PUBLIC SCHOOLS (SO I DON'T HAVE TO RELY ON LOOKING AT PRIVATE SCHOOL): My definition is based on test scores, solid curriculm, high parent/community involvement, and acceptable student to teacher ratio.
3. THREE OR FOUR BR SINGLE-FAM HOUSE @ $550K-ish: NOT a ramshackled fixer-upper but a solid bungalow with great bones that's ready for move-in but might have one or two reasonable projects to tackle down the road (bathroom re-do, finish the basement, etc.)
4. TRANSPLANT FAMILY-FRIENDLY: Families with kids down the street, friendly neighbors, middle-class values, parks near-by, etc.
5. WALKABLE OPTIONS: Don't need walkability-score of 99.9 but just wanting an area that has some very basic options near-by: a coffee house, a restaurant or two, dry cleaners, etc.
6. BALANCED POLITICAL VIEWS: Yes, I know it's SEATTLE, but just looking for a reasonably (for Seattle) balanced area of lefters and righters. We're conservative-lights and probably won't be happy with lots of granola and crunch.

I love these discussion boards, and probably rely on them way more than I should. Thank you all!
Consider Ravenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area