U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-18-2010, 11:00 AM

678 posts, read 1,662,010 times
We do have Mosquitos and they can be a issue depending on where you live.
Primarily in the July to early October time frame.
We had them chase us back in the house in the Burien area on late summer evenings. Never bothered us during the daytime. I never could find their source.

A few termites. If they are in your area you will see them start flying around near Dusk the the first of September.

My main concern was Spiders as they can enter your home and under the right conditions..bite you.
We had approx. 3-4 bites in 27 years at 1 residence, and we are Careful. Luckily nothing Lethal.They can get you when you are sleeping.
We had a very good friend that got bit and came within inches of dying. He was rescued by a last ditch experimental drug and the side effects were terrible.
He ended up having to replace both hip joints but he survived.

As a whole though, this is a very safe place overall.

Last edited by silverfox; 06-18-2010 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-18-2010, 11:26 AM

7,695 posts, read 12,695,873 times
There are a lot less mosquitoes here than on the east coast, and they too seem to like areas near water. I walk daily at the Black River trail ( heron rookery) in Renton, and the mosquitos greet me, especially around dusk.

Unread 06-18-2010, 07:05 PM

291 posts, read 433,039 times
Been here twenty years, never seen a roach. Spiders and ants (carpenter and sugar ants). Some wasps, and moths (my cats are chasing one as I type). The spiders become quite numerous towards late summer. Watch the tub in the mornings, you could find yourself showering with one!

Unread 06-18-2010, 08:06 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,577,349 times
We have carpenter ants. Do I have to hire an exterminator, or can I just ignore them. I see a few a day when its above 70 degrees out

Unread 06-18-2010, 10:22 PM

5,882 posts, read 5,259,870 times
There are cockroaches in older housing. Most of the housing seems to be run by professional management corporations, I guess you could call them - they're all about chemicals. If you move into a newer or renovated place run by a corporation, they'll have plastered the whole apartment with insecticides, mold inhibitors, deodorizers so that pretty much nothing other than humans can live in it, and even the people keel over about 20 years later.

That's why they don't want you to have pets, it gets people pissed-off when little Barfy drops dead, or Moby goes belly-up.

Unread 06-18-2010, 10:25 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,695,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
We have carpenter ants. Do I have to hire an exterminator, or can I just ignore them. I see a few a day when its above 70 degrees out
Don't hire an exterminator, and don't ignore them. I've had success with Terro liquid ant traps. Go buy some and try it. You don't just want to leave the house for the carpenter ants to eat.
Ant Problem? Terro = Ant Control Solutions

Unread 06-18-2010, 10:41 PM

291 posts, read 433,039 times
^ Second the Terro. We did exterminators-seemed the ants got worse after each spraying. Since using Terro, (and firing the exterminators) hardly any problems.

Unread 06-18-2010, 11:24 PM

678 posts, read 1,662,010 times
Don't ignore carpenter ants. They can do a lot of damage fairly quick.
You can try to set ant traps/etc. yourself but check to make sure you are getting proper advise before you start.
Take it from someone that has had the experience with these little eating machines that work day and night.
P.S. They love old growth Cedar, Douglas fir and Hemlock, especially if there is moisture present.

Last edited by silverfox; 06-18-2010 at 11:39 PM..

Unread 06-21-2010, 12:59 AM

22 posts, read 30,663 times
Thanks everyone! We live in AZ now and know all about the awful critters. There are roaches out here even if you're clean, when it comes to the older houses. Are rats and mice a problem in Bellevue as well? Is that something that is common?

Unread 06-21-2010, 02:00 PM

191 posts, read 289,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewlster1259 View Post
How are bugs in King County? Do they seem to be a problem in the homes? I'm most concerned with cockroaches, especially given the climate.
Take into account that Microsoft resides in the area, so expect a lot of bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area