Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 01:25 PM

10 posts, read 17,016 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am moving to Seattle within the next year and I need to find a job. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers...

1. I work as a Spanish teacher now. Are there any Spanish teaching positions in the area? What is the market like for teachers? I can teach K-16 and have 7 years of experience if you count all the levels I've taught...I don't have to teach though, it could be something in a center that promotes Spanish languages and culture too!

2. I also worked as an interpreter (medical and court) for 3 years for Spanish and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian - any need for this?

3. I have a BA in art history and would love to work in a museum or a gallery. What experience does one need for those jobs? What positions are there? Something in the museum's education department would be IDEAL. I have an MAT in second language teaching but can create lesson plans in other areas as well - any thoughts? I think I could maybe volunteer at a museum or some similar establishment as well if you think it will help...

4. Another option I would enjoy is something in advising (scholarship programs, study abroad, anything at the university/college level) - any ideas? I have worked at the university for 5+ years, full time for 2 but always teaching not advising, I went to two study abroad trips myself and I've been a volunteer mentor for a scholarship program for 2 years - does any of this help? I could volunteer at the scholarship program if you think that would help my chances.

I am sorry, I realize this is very very broad, but I am just wondering if anyone knows if jobs like these exist, where should I look, and what do I need to do to be a good candidate...I do have options where I could volunteer and get some experience that way, but I also can't volunteer at too many places since I have to work. I am sorry this is so long! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,306,331 times
Hmmm, i dont have any specific advice except to look at various job boards-with your skills i would say you should find something in seattle area--here are a few links
indeed.com
craigslist
idealist.org - Welcome to Idealist.org - Imagine. Connect. Act.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,837 times
As a museum professional who used to teach K-12, I can tell you that right now it is next to impossible to find a job in the museum field. Most of us work at more than one museum to pay the bills. Budgets have been cut to the bone and individual staff are doing the work of three people! Also, the University of Washington has one of the best museology/museum studies programs in the states. So, every summer a fresh eager cohort of jobless museum grads is looking right beside you, and employers prefer that you have a master's degree!
Teaching positions are out there, but also tough to find. The fact that you are proficient in Spanish will help you. And if you can teach math- that is a plus. (Go to OSPI online and look for teaching jobs.)
Seattle is a great place to live. I've been here almost 20 years, but the job market is a very tough nut to crack. Sorry for the not-so-great news. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 PM

10 posts, read 17,016 times
Thank you both for your advice. Shineyandhapy, I suspected as much, thanks for the update. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area