U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyjsp1 View Post
Don't move here.. Seattle has a lot racists. You'll be regret soon.
lol

Horrible attempt at trolling.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyjsp1 View Post
Don't move here.. Seattle has a lot racists. You'll be regret soon.
Don't post here. C-D has a lot trolls. You'll be regret soon.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 AM

5 posts, read 5,794 times
I'm late to the party because I'm just now planning my relocation to Seattle, but I just wanted to say that this question of "color comfort" is actually class masquerading behind race as it often does.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,109,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
I never suggested that the occupations you listed are the same as a fry cook, etc. I don't look my nose down on anybody. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm just stating the obvious. Most parents prefer that their daughters marry upwardly mobile people. And let's be real. Aircraft mechanics do a great deal of studying so they have that in common with college educated people, but when the husband and wife come home from work what are they going to talk about? It's not about judgment. It's about having enough in common with someone else.

Could a professional woman hold a blue collar man's interest with stories about theories or case law and would he be able to offer any advice? Could she withstand a Sunday night filled with obnoxious cartoons just to spend time with him? Are they going to fight when she wants to rid the house of milk, red meat and sugar and says she wants the kids to be vegetarians because it's healthier? Is he going to be able to mingle at the company gathering or will he be too shy and uncomfortable to jump into a conversation? Will he complain that she is acting uppity for eating with chopsticks at a Thai restaurant? Will they argue when she suggests he ditch his assortment of baggy jeans and bright baseball caps that match his shirts for something more elegant? What happens when she wants to see an art house film and he wants to see the latest Dumb and Dumber movie? If he compromises would he be interested in the movie enough to hold a conversation about it afterward? What happens when he only wants to vacation in the Caribbean and he won't even consider going to the U.K. with her because 'they don't have good beaches'?

This does not mean all blue collar men are like this. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm the kind of woman who enjoys Independent Lens and Frontline. I'm into art and music from all over the word and learning new languages. I can't wait to go to the observatory in the middle of the night to witness a cosmic event. Guys who smoke, wear baggy clothes, use the n word or approach me with, "Ay girl," turn me off. And you couldn't pay me to watch "Family Guy."

You sound very stuck up and uptight.

Blue collar doesn't= close minded and dumb. Some of the most brightest and successful people came from working class backgrounds.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM

224 posts, read 230,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
Hi, everyone. I will be moving up to Seattle soon. I was wondering what the dating scene is like for black women in Seattle. Where I live, black women are passed over by everyone. I'm hoping it would be better there. Am I getting my hopes up too high? BTW, I am not hung up on dating just black men. I am simply looking for a nice professional (like I am). I'm in my 30s with no kids. So what do you think? Can a black woman get any play in Seattle?

Thanks!
A black woman can get some play in Seattle. C'mon girl!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,659 times
Default Black Intellectuals

I have been reading quite a few threads from Black folks living in Seattle who self proclaim to be intelligent, wise, educated, professional, enlightened.....if this is the best you can offer, I will not come out your way. My goodness, the Black men and the Black women, with the exception of some fit the "type" to a T. In my mind, I always pictured Seattle being settled by Black people with a seriously weakened Ethnic/Cultural identity who are extremely acculturated into White mainstream American culture. None of you have destroyed that stereotype. You people act like you live and breathe trying to be accepted by every other race and culture but your own. You people act like you need other races of people to have a sense of personal well-being. All these comments and threads of how other cities are so segregated and how you love Seattle so you can just mix right on in with everybody else but your own comes across as plain pathetic. I love being African American, I can give two dead flies if I lived in a segregated or mixed area. It is 2013 people and you still crying about how certain places are still racist. Wake Up and Grow Up--we live in the United States of America-where White Supremacy as an Ideology and Institution is at the heart and foundation of the U.S. And no place in America is free of that. And why would any self respecting people want to integrate with a people who prove time and time again they don't want to integrate with you. Where is the self respect? I do not seek the approval or acceptance of non-Black Others to feel a sense a personal affirmation. I don't care if White folks live with White folks and don't like me--it is not the end of the world, I don't care if Asians, and Hispanics live among their own and not with me. Why? They are all non-factors to me. I can care less if they want to marry and live among their own-why? Because it is actually NORMAL. People who have a healthy sense of their own cultural/ethnic identity, unlike the many who posted on these forums who are from Seattle, actually prefer to date, marry, live with, and congregate among their own people. It is not racism, it is called ethnocentrism, tribalism, etc...Perfectly normal among the human species. The problem is that we are actually not normal and borderline crazy because we seem to do the opposite--tear each other down, do not want to be accepted by each other--we treat each other as non factors and love Non-Blacks to a point of God worship, and want to "diversify", and promote cultural/ethnic disunity as if it is something that is actually healthy to think and live that way. I mean I actually had the unfortunate experience of reading a post by a lost Black man in Seattle actually dreading living in Washington, D.C., because he perceived the Blacks to be too Afrocentric--as if having a sense of pride, love, respect, and a desire to carry on one's culture is a bad thing. GTFOH. The man is a certifiable nutcase. Putting socioeconomic class and education over ethnic/cultural identity is something that is a plague among African Americans. Also, putting religious views over ethnic/cultural identity is another problem we have living here in America. That is why we remain socially, politically, economically at the bottom because we have failed to unite for a common goal. We are to busy flossing degrees, proper English, arguing over belief systems, representing states, hoods that none of us own, flossing our miseducation that we received from college and university system, and the list goes on of other complexes we are displaying due to having a Black inferiority Complex. So many of us going as far to not even want to claim your own ethnic/cultural origins or identity. One clown from Seattle posting that he is just American. Sad. Also, some Black Men defending teeth and nail to date outside of their race b/c a BW made a very valid and legitimate statement--stating a fact how BM are thirsty over NON-Black women in Seattle and she wanted to marry a Black man and looked elsewhere to another state to improve her options. BM really looking pathetic here in Seattle.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:22 AM

Default Part 2 of my Rant

Part 2 of my rant:

Look, I am so tired of the so-called educated Black woman gripping and moaning that she needs to have an educated Black man for a husband. Look you morons. Intelligence and education is not the same thing. I will repeat, intelligence and education is not the same thing. Furthermore, an education doesn't automatically lead to a higher income. As a matter of fact, a recent study has shown and proved that Black Men not Black women out earn Black women, including Black women with degrees. Also, the highest earning careers of these Black men--NONE OF THEM REQUIRED A COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY DEGREE. Men, in general, have a lot more opportunities than women to enter careers or professions that generates great wealth for them--this includes being a Truck Driver, A Janitor who owns his own cleaning business, a construction worker, and the list goes on. In fact, some sociologists have said that women may need to go to college or university vs. a man because career opportunities are actually limited for women and those that are open to them require a higher level of education. Many women are restricted to working "pink jobs", meaning jobs typically performed by women and the number of "pink jobs" are limited and pay lower salaries compared to jobs usually performed by men. The reality Black women, is that you may be more than twice as likely to receive a degree, but the Black man is more than twice as likely to out earn you. And here you go, dismissing men based on a damn piece of paper, when the man you are dismissing could have double the income than you have all because he doesn't have a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. That is total and complete stupidity. I can give two damn dead flies what piece of paper he has, I am looking at whether or not he has a skill, trade, or profession; can he make a living from it; is he financially responsible; is he willing and able to make the necessary contribution to the family income. If he knows how to manage his money, he has financial goals, and discipline---I don't call that lowering standards, I call that being reasonable. A man can have a degree and can't manage his money worth a crap, probably not even making that much money, and can still live off of you. Also, I met many men with degrees who were not intelligent. They just knew how to regurgitate information and spit it out and learned certain information to work for somebody else--to be a good well trained employee. Just like a lot of you so called professional Black women.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 AM

Look, I am so tired of the so-called educated Black woman gripping and moaning that she needs to have an educated Black man for a husband. Look you morons. Intelligence and education is not the same thing. I will repeat, intelligence and education is not the same thing. Furthermore, an education doesn't automatically lead to a higher income. As a matter of fact, a recent study has shown and proved that Black Men not Black women out earn Black women, including Black women with degrees. Also, the highest earning careers of these Black men--NONE OF THEM REQUIRED A COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY DEGREE. Men, in general, have a lot more opportunities than women to enter careers or professions that generates great wealth for them--this includes being a Truck Driver, A Janitor who owns his own cleaning business, a construction worker, and the list goes on. In fact, some sociologists have said that women may need to go to college or university vs. a man because career opportunities are actually limited for women and those that are open to them require a higher level of education. Many women are restricted to working "pink jobs", meaning jobs typically performed by women and the number of "pink jobs" are limited and pay lower salaries compared to jobs usually performed by men. The reality Black women, is that you may be more than twice as likely to receive a degree, but the Black man is more than twice as likely to out earn you. And here you go, dismissing men based on a damn piece of paper, when the man you are dismissing could have double the income than you have all because he doesn't have a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. That is total and complete stupidity. I can give two damn dead flies what piece of paper he has, I am looking at whether or not he has a skill, trade, or profession; can he make a living from it; is he financially responsible; is he willing and able to make the necessary contribution to the family income. If he knows how to manage his money, he has financial goals, and discipline---I don't call that lowering standards, I call that being reasonable. A man can have a degree and can't manage his money worth a crap, probably not even making that much money, and can still live off of you. Also, I met many men with degrees who were not intelligent. They just knew how to regurgitate information and spit it out and learned certain information to work for somebody else--to be a good well trained employee. Just like a lot of you so called professional Black women. Here is the article ladies showing and proving BM is out earning you without college degrees.

New Research Shatters Myths and Provides New Hope for Black Love and Marriage

Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 AM

328 posts, read 239,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think dating anywhere will depend on how you approach it as well. Don't know where vandygirl is from but I can tell silverwaters that for blacks, the west coast in general is most likely easier for all black people than the midwest when it comes to dating. Just approach your new home and new surroundings with an open mind. Seattle is a very tolerant and racially friendly place compared to most other areas of the country. Vandygirl, I don't think you will have any problems if you're open to dating anyone as long as they're decent and that's really the attitude. I'm a black male so let me give you a bit of a run down comparison:

Let's take Seattle and San Diego. Both have almost the same black population, just under 7% or so. Seattle is the county seat of King County; a county that voted to rename it after Martin Luther King. San Diego is the county seat of it's county; a city that wanted to name it's convention center after MLK but people protested it so we have a short stretch of a state hwy name after him instead.

Basically my point is; Seattle is a very open place and I think all of you should feel at home there as far as race relations are concerned.
That was a very long time ago, probably a complete turnover of people since then. Now sure that comparison is accurate today. A good women will appeal to a good person either place, just need to make yourself known and be involved in the community to be noticed.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 758 times
Default moving to seattle

jaybb you didnt answer her question, although you provied an outstanding politicallly and ethical respnose the issue is with meeting a man of color. I am moved a hear a year and 5 months ago and i'm from Fairfield county connecticut and I can tell you the city hurts for knowing where a cool urban vibe can be found. Not like we want our independednt spots but sometimes you want to listen to certain music and feel a certain vibe. Growing up 30 mins from downtown Manhattan Seaatle is struggling for an identitiy, there is no urban radio station here, every major city in the country has an urban station.

Back to her question, sister it will be difficult, and when someone can provide a place to meet beautiful people of color. Please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area