U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 PM

304 posts, read 474,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins View Post
Anyone know of a place to get braids or weaves? Since I will be in school, I am thinking of hiding my hair for a bit. I will be so busy and it takes too much time to style it. I will check out those suggestions though. I still have 2 months until Seattle is my new home!
Why do you plan to "hide" your hair? Each time I've been to the Northwest, I did not see any black women wearing weaves or wigs. The vast majority of them wore their hair naturally curly (maybe 9 out of 10). Very few wore perms. I did not see any women with braids, but children wear them. I imagine a weave would look totally out of place. With such a moist environment, I don't know if wearing a weave would even feel comfortable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:25 AM

161 posts, read 379,057 times
Psss. Ive been looking for the secret black girls club for the last 20 years living here LOL thats ok, I started my own club with people who just want to go out and dance; everyone is invited

As for most of my black sistah friends, only 1 wears her hair natural and the rest of us rock braids,dreads,weaves,or have perms.

Michaela's does the best weaves in town according to my friend who is from WI. I know she must do a lot of them b/c she charges an arm and a leg and its difficult to get an appointment with her b/c she's booked solid...so women around here do wear them...

Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 AM

124 posts, read 272,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
Why do you plan to "hide" your hair? Each time I've been to the Northwest, I did not see any black women wearing weaves or wigs. The vast majority of them wore their hair naturally curly (maybe 9 out of 10). Very few wore perms. I did not see any women with braids, but children wear them. I imagine a weave would look totally out of place. With such a moist environment, I don't know if wearing a weave would even feel comfortable.
Well, I haven't had the same experience. Everyone I have seen there has had their hair permed. Maybe my experience is different since I have spent most of my seattle time around uw and when I am there I will be leaving by uw and going to school.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 AM

49 posts, read 181,834 times
I see plenty of naturals, perms, braids and weaves around here. I've worn all of those styles living here and never felt or looked out of place anywhere. It's just hair after all.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
I am a white male, single, with a 11 year mixed son. Grew-up in Chicago.

I've been in Seattle for 14 years and it has its challenges for dating - just like any city.

What I've learned:
* People are not direct, they are nice, but it seems fake many times. I'm used to people telling me they like me or they don't and why and work it out.
* I've dated mainly black, Asian or European. Its very hard to meet black women - mainly its hard to find you'all. But it can be done. (BTW: thanks for the advice for places to meet)
* I found that the bite of Seattle is one of the few events where there is alot of diversity - the other events there are so-so, even the AA event there was mostly white.
* Art walk is hit or miss
* Online dating (at least for men) is tough here
* Its easy to make a TON of 'friends' here, but then that contributes to the anti-freeze. Parties (house/dinner) are where I have met most people.
* Seattle is small - and I've seen friends learn the hard way its better to stay single until you meet the right person and not sleep around.

I know from the bite that there are more black (especially women) here than I see around town. Where is a casual non-pressure places (neighborhoods) that you hang out at?

Or better yet - where do you want to go to meet guys?

Aide note: Michael's on 12th is a good salon - my son got his corn-rows there and now gets it cut there.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 PM

4,448 posts, read 4,322,990 times
Quote:
Hi, everyone. I will be moving up to Seattle soon. I was wondering what the dating scene is like for black women in Seattle. Where I live, black women are passed over by everyone. I'm hoping it would be better there. Am I getting my hopes up too high? BTW, I am not hung up on dating just black men. I am simply looking for a nice professional (like I am). I'm in my 30s with no kids. So what do you think? Can a black woman get any play in Seattle?

Thanks!
Black women in Seattle, are much more open minded in dating outside their race, then black women in just about all other US cities.....

Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 PM

626 posts, read 578,186 times
I'm a single Black gal who moved here from the midwest several years ago. I was quite surprised by the number of BF/WM couples that I saw. At first, I was encouraged. I thought, "wow, this is such a progressive city", but my perceptions of how inclusive this city is quickly faded into disappointment.

As far as hair salons, I used to go to Saks on 2nd Ave in Renton. The stylist that I used to go to left the salon and I never got her new contact info; I then started to go to the Gene Juarez Academy. Good price but the school is lacking proper instruction on black hair and appropriate styles. I guess that is the trade-off.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,979 times
i diss like the west coast im from jacksonville fl were a ppl friendly b clubs hot c ppl dont call me ghetto or i hear well u talk black like witch is just wrong granted i have sothren accent just way this coast treat ppl cuz thay dont like emo stuff

Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 AM

5,012 posts, read 6,430,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becvictoria View Post
i diss like the west coast im from jacksonville fl were a ppl friendly b clubs hot c ppl dont call me ghetto or i hear well u talk black like witch is just wrong granted i have sothren accent just way this coast treat ppl cuz thay dont like emo stuff
Grammar and punctuation are your friend. Also, people generally hate it when you type the way you would text. It just doesn't make any sense and after trying to decipher what you were trying to say for about 5 minutes I gave up. Come again?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 PM

5,208 posts, read 3,041,742 times
Quote:
Hi, everyone. I will be moving up to Seattle soon. I was wondering what the dating scene is like for black women in Seattle. Where I live, black women are passed over by everyone. I'm hoping it would be better there. Am I getting my hopes up too high? BTW, I am not hung up on dating just black men. I am simply looking for a nice professional (like I am). I'm in my 30s with no kids. So what do you think? Can a black woman get any play in Seattle?

Thanks!
As a black man. I am curious why the so called profession black woman has so many issues finding a guy she likes? or one that likes her? this same topic is in the Houston, Philly, DC, Atlanta, Chicago forums and they all say the same thing...sometimes word for word. Why is a relationship so important for black women? It doesnt seem that important to the other races, the other 3 global races rarely complain about finding men. But the black women are always complaining about it. Does anyone else notice this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area