Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:45 AM

304 posts, read 850,606 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I will be moving up to Seattle soon. I was wondering what the dating scene is like for black women in Seattle. Where I live, black women are passed over by everyone. I'm hoping it would be better there. Am I getting my hopes up too high? BTW, I am not hung up on dating just black men. I am simply looking for a nice professional (like I am). I'm in my 30s with no kids. So what do you think? Can a black woman get any play in Seattle?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 27,295 times
I am also looking to move to Seattle from the Midwest this December 2010 and am also a Black female in my early twenties. Hopefully we can find some answers Vandygirl

Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 AM

149 posts, read 496,502 times
I am one too. I just wanted to put that out there. Lol. I am not worried about dating though. I will have my work to keep me busy.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:36 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
I think dating anywhere will depend on how you approach it as well. Don't know where vandygirl is from but I can tell silverwaters that for blacks, the west coast in general is most likely easier for all black people than the midwest when it comes to dating. Just approach your new home and new surroundings with an open mind. Seattle is a very tolerant and racially friendly place compared to most other areas of the country. Vandygirl, I don't think you will have any problems if you're open to dating anyone as long as they're decent and that's really the attitude. I'm a black male so let me give you a bit of a run down comparison:

Let's take Seattle and San Diego. Both have almost the same black population, just under 7% or so. Seattle is the county seat of King County; a county that voted to rename it after Martin Luther King. San Diego is the county seat of it's county; a city that wanted to name it's convention center after MLK but people protested it so we have a short stretch of a state hwy name after him instead.

Basically my point is; Seattle is a very open place and I think all of you should feel at home there as far as race relations are concerned.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,254 times
It may just be me, but I've seen all stripes here. I would say, if I were still single, I'd date a black girl if the person was right.

Unfortunately I haven't seen much mixed black female dating, in reality. Most of the mixed couples are black male / white female or white male / asian female. That said, I do have a white male / indian woman and a asian male / black female couple friends. So I wouldn't say it is impossible.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
I spoke to a former boss of mine this morning, a wise black woman who also happens to be one of the funniest people on the planet. I asked her about the dating scene for black women in Seattle. She said something to the effect of " When I got divorced ten years ago, black men wanted to date me, white men wanted to date me, Asian men wanted to date me, Latino men wanted to date me, and Jewish guys wanted to date me."

She went on to say that if you're somewhat attractive and have a good personality, men of all stripes will be drawn to you, so long as they know you're out there.
In other words, as she put it " Don't hang out at the First A.M.E Church if you're trying to meet a Jewish guy."

Old 06-19-2010, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 27,294 times
Wow, this thread is uber timely for me, as I'm moving to Seattle in 2 weeks and am also a black female in my 20s! When I visited, I definitely felt people were friendly and tolerant. However, between the "freeze" threads, rumors of cliquiness, and the generally introverted nature of folks, I'm curious if people do more online dating, or is there still hope for going out, meeting someone, and eventually dating?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 PM

197 posts, read 612,550 times
Here is the thing with Seattle dating that I have seen.
Most committed couples in Seattle meet on the job or meet at school. This may not be what management wants, but most of the couples I know met this way up here. Ladies who go to the bars and clubs to meet guys typically run into the "I don't want a relationship" kind of guys. I know of a few people who met on internet dating sites. Not many people meet at churches, so I would not go this route unless you just happen to really enjoy church and want to go.
Seattle guys don't seem to care about race so much as they care about appearance.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:10 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinksnCoils View Post
Wow, this thread is uber timely for me, as I'm moving to Seattle in 2 weeks and am also a black female in my 20s! When I visited, I definitely felt people were friendly and tolerant. However, between the "freeze" threads, rumors of cliquiness, and the generally introverted nature of folks, I'm curious if people do more online dating, or is there still hope for going out, meeting someone, and eventually dating?
If anything, dating scene in Seattle is "proper." Meaning, joining clubs, social organizations, political parties, professional organizations, or meetup.com groups is the norm. The randomness of meeting people is preserved while maintaining a "clique" or group of people with similar interests. Random meets in public driving to a relationship are rare. Even neighborly actions, like going over to a neighbor's house for dinner or to a movie is rare.

People are reserved, yes. But if you go to smaller groups or to groups that have a unique interest then you'll be right as rain. It took me a little bit to get used to it, being from the Midwest. But get the hang of it and this place really does grow on you, rain or no rain.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:06 AM

99 posts, read 301,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Don't know where vandygirl is from but I can tell silverwaters that for blacks, the west coast in general is most likely easier for all black people than the midwest when it comes to dating.
Just a guess but "vandy" is usually short for Vanderbilt as in Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area