Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 PM

343 posts, read 1,084,971 times

Advertisements

Is it good or bad? I've been thinking about it lately, and I can't really get the pulse of the business climate around here.

On one hand, WaMu was seized by the FDIC and sold to JPMorgan Chase, Safeco Insurance was bought by Liberty Mutual, Services Group of America moved to Scottsdale, and, if you go back a few more years, Airborne Express merged with DHL and moved, and Boeing moved their corporate headquarters to Chicago.

On the other hand, Amazon.com is America's largest online retailer, Starbucks is the largest coffeehouse company in the world, Alaska Air Group is a major North American airline, and then, of course, there's Microsoft.

So, I'm curious, what do all of you think? Is Seattle good, or bad for business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
I think Seattle's business climate is very good.

Based on this website link, Seattle lately has the best economy in the nation!
http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seatt...0/daily23.html
This website link seems very credible, especially since the research firm that says Seattle has one of the best economies in the nation is from Florida!
The website link even says the Seattle metro area's economy has been getting better over the years!

"
According to Policom Corp., an independent economic research firm that specializes in analyzing local and state economies, out of the nation’s 366 metropolitan statistical areas, Seattle-Tacoma Bellevue rates No. 1, moving up from last year’s No. 12 ranking. In 2006, Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue ranked No. 51 in the country. The company uses 23 different economic factors to create its rankings.
According to Policom, the highest-ranked areas have had rapid, consistent growth in both size and quality for an extended period of time."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And also Boeing(Major airplane company), Microsoft(Major computer company), Starbucks(major coffee company), Amazon.com(Americas largest online retailer), and some other companies has roots in the Seattle metropolitan area.

Also based on Seattle wikipedia
"In terms of per capita income, a study by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis ranked the Seattle metropolitan area 17th out of 363 metropolitan areas in 2006.[21] Seattle has particularly strong information technology, aviation, architecture and recreational industries. It is particularly known as a hotbed of "green" technologies and biotechnology."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I think it was a bit of a blow to Seattle for Boeing's corporate headquarters to move to Chicago. I think that was a STUPID decision and the corporate headquarters should of stayed here. Theres NO WAY the original founder of Boeing(who is from Seattle it seems like) would EVER want that aspect of the company to move out of Seattle. It really should come back here.

From what I remember, the Commercial airplane manufacturing aspect of it is still headquartered in Seattle. Almost 80,000 people are employed with Boeing in the Seattle area/Washington state, which I think is half of all the Boeing work force that makes the airplanes. Seattle STILL deserves to be given as much praise and respect related to Boeing as before because Boeing was still founded here and became successful in the Seattle area and still has roots in the area.

Also, it was a blow to Seattle for the other companies you mentioned that left from here. Despite that, it still seems like the Seattle economy is doing well with important companies still being here and stuff like that.

And Seattle is rated one of the most "Educated", "Literate", "Environmentally friendly" and "Politically liberal" places in the USA, as well as other things like that. It has one of the best skylines in America(Somewhere in the top 5-10), as well as one of the top nature accessibility major cities places in the USA. There are also other great notable things about the Seattle area.

Seattle definitely seems like one awesome place out of many awesome places in the USA and in the world. And this is coming from someone who isnt even a native Seatellite! Im a native New Yorker and can definitely respect and appreciate other places and see the positives of many places and Seattle is one example. Im in Seattle for college and have been enjoying my time here and am sure I will continue to enjoy my time here. After college I might not be in Seattle, but Im always remember great things about this place.

Last edited by ; 07-20-2010 at 01:48 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
As a lifelong east-coaster, I think Seattle's best asset is that its economy is so diverse. There are many different types of businesses that operate in different ways, so if one industry collapses, the whole town will not plummet into a half-century of decline. Granted, if Boeing went under, it would be a crippling blow, but it would not kill the city as GM did Detroit.

I like that local government seems focused on keeping industry. It's important.

I also think that slowly and slowly, as the east coast (except for NYC) continues to be nostalgic and refuses to update its infrastucture, the west will become more and more populated by people who value a certain quality of life which is getting more and more difficult to find here.

Consider that Seattle and the northwest didn't really start becoming populated and organized until 100 years ago or so. The westward migration has really just begun. I think Seattle has pretty smart growth plans in place and the west coast can learn from the east's mistakes, and its business climate is going to attract lots more companies.

Big, big California's national signifigance will fade some because it's in a constant state of epic crisis (like dating someone 15 feet tall who is constatly having a panic attack). Portland and Seattle will attract more and more businesses that would have otherwise located in California.

All signs point northwest, I think.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 AM

807 posts, read 2,258,048 times
^Agreed.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 PM

To handsupthumbsdown: I agree with what you said in this thread. How do you feel about what I said about the Seattle business climate?

Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 AM

22 posts, read 40,043 times
I'm curious, how's the "art related" (such as Graphic Arts, concept arts, illustrations, etc..) economy in Seattle?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To handsupthumbsdown: I agree with what you said in this thread. How do you feel about what I said about the Seattle business climate?
I thought it was on point. Plus you included stats, which I never do. I just spout off opinions .

Old 07-21-2010, 05:51 AM

Handsupthumbsdown: Thanks. I liked your post too.

It was great to see another native Northeasterner say positive things about Seattle and the Western USA region and explaining how the Western USA had much less time to develop itself than the Northeast because it was settled centuries later than the Northeast but believing in positive things for the future of the Western USA. However, I think the Northeast will continue to have positive things in its future.

I am absolutely torn whether I should be in the Western USA(Seattle, San Francisco, or Denver) or the Northeastern USA(New York City, Boston, or Washington DC) after college.

It will be a difficult decision for me to make.

What is your advice to someone conflicted about whether to be in the Western USA or Northeastern USA after college?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your post Im responding to:

Consider that Seattle and the northwest didn't really start becoming populated and organized until 100 years ago or so. The westward migration has really just begun. I think Seattle has pretty smart growth plans in place and the west coast can learn from the east's mistakes, and its business climate is going to attract lots more companies.
The west will become more and more populated by people who value a certain quality of life which is getting more and more difficult to find in the Northeast.

Last edited by ; 07-21-2010 at 06:08 AM..

Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Handsupthumbsdown: Thanks. I liked your post too.

It was great to see another native Northeasterner say positive things about Seattle and the Western USA region and explaining how the Western USA had much less time to develop itself than the Northeast because it was settled by non native Americans centuries later but believing in positive things for the future of the Western USA. However, I think the Northeast will continue to have positive things in its future.

I am absolutely torn whether I should be in the Western USA(Seattle, San Francisco, or Denver) or the Northeastern USA(New York City, Boston, or Washington DC) after college.

It will be a difficult decision for me to make.

What is your advice to someone conflicted about whether to be in the Western USA or Northeastern USA after college?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your post Im responding to:

The west will become more and more populated by people who value a certain quality of life which is getting more and more difficult to find in the Northeast.
To keep the topic going, I'll send you a PM with my response.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
Seattle is one of those lucky cities that attracts people because of it's setting. People will come here because the life that they can live outside of work is great. People are willing to sacrifice to live in places like Seattle.

How does that affect business? Amazon and Microsoft have no problem attracting workers because of the lifestyle this region offers. Many career fields are highly competitive here, like teaching or nursing, because people want to live here. Employers can pick from the cream of the crop in a city like Seattle. Some people who have made sacrifices to move here will start new businesses that may be the next Starbucks or the next Amazon.

The risk right now stems from the inefficiencies in the city's economy. The attractiveness of the area also attracts the chronically underemployed and unemployed that require significant tax spending. Seattle is seeing the sad contradiction that so many cities have seen, where the cost of doing business drives out the very companies and jobs that the city needs to have for the people who live here. The level of taxation that is required to support the un-and underemployed means that the companies that would typically hire them can't afford to do business here.

The business climate is outstanding in those communities near Seattle that have found a balance between efficiencies and inefficiencies in the economy, like Bellevue or Redmond. It is a little shakier in the city limits, at least until the city can focus it's poverty reduction efforts on breaking the cycle of poverty instead of just mitigating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area