Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times

Advertisements

You do not need to incur more debt to make it in Seattle...I have friends who have majored in all the worthless fields only to find a way into tech. I've met people who have worked in factories who now manage and run I.T. depts...the most important thing is the experience. Volunteer or start your own business to open doors and then network to kick them off....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 7,414 times
well, for what it's worth, and probably no one will believe me, but i moved here 10 years ago with no job, literally one suitcase and $150 in my pocket, and no skills to speak of. Now, i have a great big apartment and i make six figures (no kids!!) with a good job that allows me to travel whenever i want. i have my own schedule and i telecommute. i don't have a college degree, and no, i'm not in sales, nowhere even close.

So i think it's all about mindset. If you want something bad enough, you can make it happen.

The bus here is amazing. It doesn't run 24 hours but it has a VERY large percentage of ridership to population, compared to many other large cities. So i would say if you live in the city and not out in the 'burbs, there's a really good chance a car is going to be more hassle than it's worth. i haven't owned a car since i moved here (sold it before i came out here), and i don't miss it one bit. Everything i could possibly want is within walking distance of my apartment.

Edit: And yes, my parents said the same thing when i moved out here with almost nothing. But ya know, nobody is going to tell me i can't do something i put my mind to, hehe.

My apt is in lower Queen Anne and is $675 a month, a one bedroom, not in a ghetto, not a piece of crap, and it's about three blocks from the Key Arena. It's pretty practical, yes, no pool or nothing fancy like that but i make up for it by being able to see Elliott Bay fireworks out my window on July 4th and stuff like that.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,653 times
A lot of these posts are making me feel better.

I'm thinking about moving to Seattle this Fall and have about $10k saved. Reading that people have made it on lots less is making me feel better about the move without a job, but it's still pretty scary.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 PM

22 posts, read 81,575 times
Yes ... They're making me feel better too.

I actually plan on doing the same thing, estimated $6000 at time of leaving, no job, moving from NJ to Washington, Capitol Hill area. I actually lived there for 2 years a few years ago ....
I agree with what people are saying---if you put your mind to it, you can do it! Nevertheless, I still have a concern on how quickly I'll find an apartment with bad credit (pretty bad).

I'm moving in a month in a half, my plan is to stay in a hotel a few days and hopefully land an apartment quickly. For those who moved, where did you stay while you waited to find an apartment? I have one friend out there, who might let me stay with her while I look for an apartment.

The no job I'm not worried about, I have a very good resume&confidence in my ability to find jobs (hey, I'll work a crappy retail job as long as it pays my rent until I find a better job), my only concern is a roof over my head ... Advice please?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:02 PM

149 posts, read 496,702 times
couchsurfing.org or a hostel for a place to stay

Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins View Post
couchsurfing.org or a hostel for a place to stay
A hostel, duh. I was so focused on a hotel. That's a good idea, I'm just worried about people stealing stuff.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroprince View Post
Yes ... They're making me feel better too.

I actually plan on doing the same thing, estimated $6000 at time of leaving, no job, moving from NJ to Washington, Capitol Hill area. I actually lived there for 2 years a few years ago ....
I agree with what people are saying---if you put your mind to it, you can do it! Nevertheless, I still have a concern on how quickly I'll find an apartment with bad credit (pretty bad).

I'm moving in a month in a half, my plan is to stay in a hotel a few days and hopefully land an apartment quickly. For those who moved, where did you stay while you waited to find an apartment? I have one friend out there, who might let me stay with her while I look for an apartment.

The no job I'm not worried about, I have a very good resume&confidence in my ability to find jobs (hey, I'll work a crappy retail job as long as it pays my rent until I find a better job), my only concern is a roof over my head ... Advice please?

focus on craigslist to find apt's or rent from people who own apt buildings...stay away from the corporate owned apt rental firms...they are the worse and they do not play around with credit...you shouldn't have a problem..you may have to pay 2 months advance or a larger deposit....good luck

Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroprince View Post
A hostel, duh. I was so focused on a hotel. That's a good idea, I'm just worried about people stealing stuff.
Try to get a one-month sublet. Look at sublets/shared on craigslist - I saw one on there yesterday where a couple were taking a one-month biking trip and were looking for someone trustworthy to stay at their place and feed their cat or something.

That'll give you time to find a job, and with a pay stub that shows you make 2.5x the rent per month I think nobody will worry about your credit unless you are trying to rent some sort of palace.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,414 times
I went the hostel route when i came here; i was able to do some work for them in exchange for room and board. Yes, i had to share a room with 2-3 other people but i didn't have many belongings; definitely nothing worth stealing and they have giant storage boxes made of plywood that you can put your stuff in and put a lock on it, if you wish to. i wouldn't actually trade that experience for the world either, i have never had so much fun as when i was there!! hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area