U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 PM

3,617 posts, read 6,996,146 times

Advertisements

Once you turn 21 you can join Zipcar. You'd be able to rent a car for about $10 an hour for dates (and they have things like BMWs, Volvos and SUVs available along with their more economical cars).
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:04 PM

8,253 posts, read 6,625,137 times
I didn't drive my car for about 6 of the 15 months I lived there and just walked and used busses; I moved there at 24 and left just after my 26th birthday.

There will be women who will kind of poo-poo you for not having a car in cities with comprehensive public transit; the irony of it is that, in my experience, they often don't own a car themselves... they also require you to have a master's (when they have an AA); they require you to make at least $80k (when they make $30k)... more or less, they're gold diggers/shallow/not worth associating with.

Most of the young, hipster, Capitol Hill set eschews cars in favor of bikes without brakes or gears ("riding fixed," they call it) or the bus. It frees up money for drugs and more clothes from American Apparel. If you tell them you're doing it out of protest, they'll think that you are wicked awesome.

Practically speaking, it's really not necessary to have a car in Seattle, to be honest. You can get away with not having one very easily, but it isn't a bad idea to have one (or have access to one via Zipcar, as someone mentioned) because at some point, you'll most likely want or need to get somewhere outside the city or the city's public transit network in a certain amount of time.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 PM

56 posts, read 156,408 times
You can get by just fine without a car, so long as you have transit available to you to get to and from work. No need to worry of image.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 AM

808 posts, read 1,392,981 times
I usually just reply with: "If the destination was worth going to, there would already be a train, plane or bus that goes there." heheh

Old 07-31-2010, 01:17 PM

15 posts, read 24,026 times
Inkpoe- You said
"My friend is renting 1bd/1ba in Capitol Hill for $725. Very cool apartment (old fashioned, not modern"
What is the name of that apt complex? we are relocating to seattle from memphis and need something affordable like this!!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM

5,611 posts, read 6,593,843 times
"Catalina" on Bellevue Ave. But right now, they don't have any vacancy.

One thing about Capitol Hill is that it's not being filled up as quickly, so its best to hit the pavement and look for the "For Rent" signs. Its easier now to negotiate it down. Where my friend lives, all she has to do is walk to the corner and look West. (There is a building behind hers unfortunately.) She has such a picturesque view of Queen Anne, Space Needle, DT... it's very beautiful at nighttime.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 PM

1,583 posts, read 1,922,046 times
Think a little outside the box. I rode a motorcycle *exclusively* from 18-25, in the Pacific Northwest, including undergraduate college. It can be done, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a car. More dangerous, though-have *health* insurance, always wear full gear, and take as many rider courses from the motorcycle safety institute as you can.

Some girls actually like it, too-even an older model that isn't a Harley still has a little edge to it if that's all you ride. It's different being the guy who pulls up while it's cold and raining on a bike, generally in a good way. When you get the chill out of your bones, that is.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:58 PM

808 posts, read 1,392,981 times
How's this for 20's?

Here was my evening:

Took the bus home from my braindead repetetitive horrible work out in godforsaken Tukwila. Met girlfriend for a martini at a new steakhouse that was PACKED with people much higher up in the business heirarchy than me. I felt like a douche but I looked good. It was supposed to be a celebration for my 25 year old friend that got a promotion. He didn't show up. But my buddy and his (hot) lesbian friend showed up. His girlfriend did not. But we got pretty loaded on martinis and beer and ate blue cheese meatballs and left. 20% of our tab got compt'd for some reason which is fine with me. Another thing that was fine with me was that the lesbian thought my girlfriend was hot. Bonus. We all split up, I walked 3 blocks to my apartment and realized I had no food for dinner, breakfast or lunch for work tomorrow. Had to go grocery shopping buzzed. Paid $20 for a good amount of food (one item was $7 for stupid salmon wrap...what the HELL?) and walked home. Theres a brass swing band playing outside my window, I have a sink fulla dirty dishes I don't want to clean and it's hot in here and there's nothing I can do about it. Just realized I have $160 to get me until September after rent and I have three birthday dinners to go to next weekend.

SO there's 27 for ya.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,014,755 times
Sounds adventurous lol.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 AM

114 posts, read 167,732 times
When I was 20, I was living in London UK commuting by bus or tube as most 20's in UK do not own a car. Met a lot of girls there who focus on you, and not what you own.

Then I was back in Seattle, age 21, owned a VW GTi 8-valve with lots of duct tape and a NIN sticker. I dated a 19yo Swedish classmate for a while. She definitely used me for transportation, but she showed her appreciation. So yes, buy a $1000 Ford Taurus, Honda scooter, or something without duct tape, just have wheels ready, doesn't have to be fancy. Take a motorcycle class. In America, wheels puts you on the girls' fun factor list.

Cheap rent alone? Tacoma or suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area