Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:55 PM

622 posts, read 2,708,670 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about relocating from Michigan to the Pacific Northwest. I originally thought Portland, but I am hearing good things about Seattle, too- never been to either place.

I'm a graphic designer, my fiancee is a roofing subcontractor. We are both artists and musicians. Environmental issues are important to us. So is living in a place with friendly, unpretentious, open-minded people. Nature is huge to us, especially clean water. Rain is not an issue. Neither are schools. Quality of living is more important than high incomes. Public transportation would be great (to sell my car and reduce my ecological footprint). Small town feel would be best (we are from rural areas).

So, let's hear it: what city do you love better- Portland or Seattle? And which one do you think might be better for me?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2006, 08:57 PM

291 posts, read 709,701 times
Your overall philosophy and priorities are more widely shared in Portland than in Seattle. Much of what you've said has become accepted consensus and guides the growth philosophy and land management in Portland and Multnomah County, and indeed the policies of Oregon state government, for over 20 years now. That's less true of Seattle and King County, and is not true of Washington state government overall. WA has a more pro-business, pro-development, pro-sprawl, pro-wealth philosophy than OR (and on the other hand, this has consistantly produced more jobs and growth in WA than in OR for 30 years now).

For cities of their size, both do retain a friendly "small-town feel". For cities of their size. But they are big cities. If that is a priority, it is more easily found in smaller cities. I do hope you might also visit and consider Eugene, Corvallis, Hood River, Ashland and Sisters. These are all in Oregon. I definitely feel that you'll find many more people who share your priorities in OR than in WA. In WA, Port Townsend, Friday Harbor, Bainbridge and perhaps Bellingham or Chelan might be good fits. Practical issues (jobs and affordability) would shorten these lists, though...

Old 08-12-2006, 09:47 PM

622 posts, read 2,708,670 times
Thanks! Thats just what I thought. It seems that the argument is over economy (Seattle) and quality of life (Portland).

Yes, I have been looking into Eugene, Corvallis, Ashland, and Sisters as well. I have heard nothing yet of Hood River, so I will look into that, too. I was thinking of Portland as a safe starting point- I guess I'm just going to have to take a trip out there for myself and visit each place!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 AM

603 posts, read 1,994,846 times
As a current Michigander that grew up in Washington, I would definitely have to agree with what mariatherese has said. I'm personally looking to return to the Northwest in a couple years and am looking into the Vancouver area (essentially a Portland suburb). While Seattle is a very green city, with a booming economy, I would have to agree and put my vote in for Portland or even a couple of the other cities in Oregon that she mentioned to fit what you're looking for. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 AM

753 posts, read 758,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
Your overall philosophy and priorities are more widely shared in Portland than in Seattle. Much of what you've said has become accepted consensus and guides the growth philosophy and land management in Portland and Multnomah County, and indeed the policies of Oregon state government, for over 20 years now. That's less true of Seattle and King County, and is not true of Washington state government overall. WA has a more pro-business, pro-development, pro-sprawl, pro-wealth philosophy than OR (and on the other hand, this has consistantly produced more jobs and growth in WA than in OR for 30 years now).
Hi,

Seattle may be more pro-development than Portland, perhaps. In comparison to each other Portland may be more "Eco-Metro" than Seattle, but relative to places outside the PNW both cities are more identical than different. Either one would likely suit your desires well.

While Seattle would probably have more to offer in the way of work, you probably could carve yourself out a nice little life in the other areas Rod suggested. Do take a look at Eugene, Olympia, or out on the Peninsula. You might find those places to be to your taste at a bit lower cost.

Hope you find the place!

Old 03-02-2007, 01:54 AM

7 posts, read 41,790 times
For young, hungry artists Portland appears to be the destination. The scene on Alberta Street, for instance, has become quite well-trafficked by ordinary people--and plenty of strange ones, too--who are more interested in being part of a neighborhood activity than in showboating among the wine and cheese elite. (For that crowd you'd have to stay confined within the Pearl District and downtown galleries). But the real Portland "scene" is taking place in the small, humble neighborhoods that surround the urban core.

High-end work from established artists is better found in Seattle. Remember, Portland is a lot smaller than Seattle, so it will seem more finite and limited in scale. The overall feel is of a creative culture that is transcending its nubile state. In general, the monied folk tend to stay up in the high hills in the evenings, mostly descending to the streets to defecate their dogs in the parks. Otherwise, Portland nights are a place for the young.

As with any place experiencing rapid growth, Portland's traffic is horrible. The arterial infrastructure throughout the city is easily forty years behind current load demands. The suburban sprawl to the SW (Tualatin, Tigard, Beaverton, Hillsboro) and East (Gresham) is impressively hideous, and is threatening Portland's identity.

And gentrification is on, I'm here to tell you. Not to Seattle's extent, but node by node the old neighborhoods throughout North, NE and SE Portland are beginning to erode. The overall funkiness and oddness (of which Portland has become fiercely proud) still does prevail--for now.

And I would warn you about the lengthy gloomy season, but any artist already knows how to employ his or her creativity throughout the winter haul. I bolted for San Antonio because I'd had it with the NW winters, and oh what a mistake that was. What good is sunshine if the city is a cultureless sprawlopolis and the weather is still unbearable for eight months out of the year?

By the way, cost of living in Portland is only slightly higher than the national average, whereas Seattle is much more expensive--even approaching California levels.

Seattle is certainly more glamorous, but I still am quite fond of Portland. They're doing a lot of things right, and there's a strong representation of creative, liberal, eco-minded visionaries bent on reshaping the world of the baby boomers.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:03 PM

177 posts, read 847,319 times
Portland, hands down in all regards.

eileen

Old 03-15-2008, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 22,441 times
If you're looking for a liberal, eco-friendly vibe, Portland beats Seattle, by a little... If you're looking for a place that has a whole lot more to offer, Seattle is the place. I feel Seattle tops Portland in...
Natural beauty - salt water, beautiful islands, two mountain ranges
Diversity of activities
Downtown
Employment
Sports - Pro football and Pro baseball vs. the JailBlazers
Arts
Museums
Restaurants
Music heritage - Hendrix, Heart, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, The Ventures...
How about Seattle Center? The waterfront?
Mt. Rainier vs. Hood?? Please....
And to top it off, the people seem more laid back, friendly, a whole lot less agitated about everything.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,945,869 times
I agree with most of that! Except:
I dont like the bands you listed lol, though they are indeed from Seattle. You left out Nevermore! A great band from Seattle.
Also, from what i've experienced and heard, Seattle actually is safer than Portland overall. Though it is a bigger city, and feels as such. Portland is Beautiful, but i definatly agree that Seattle is the winner in natural and urban Beauty, with Mt rainier, the Olympic Mountins, the Cascades, Puget Sound, beautiful downtown Seattle....of course you pay for that with a higher cost of living lol. I'm a transplant to Seattle and love it, my only complaints are how far away it is from all my family and friends(not Seattle's fault) and the relentless drizzle and darkness(which you will also find in Portland)...kinda depressing for those of us from sunny places!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:14 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Bellingham WA is awfully nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area