Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 17,790 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a New Yorker, considering a move to Seattle. I am looking long-term, as in planning a move in about a year...

While I know that there are no real predictions, things change, etc., what is the job market like for middle/high school teachers currently? I know in NY it has been tough, though things have opened up slightly just recently.

Also, I have done some research and getting WA certification seems somewhat simple (tests, application), but does anyone else have experience being certified after being originally certified in another state?

Lastly, I have a son that will be starting kindergarten. Any input on best area for renting a place, considering cost and school districts?

I know I am doing this in advance, but I think that solid plans are required for a family.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,176 times
The competition for teaching jobs is pretty fierce out here. My niece applied for a high school social studies position in a smaller town and there were 166 other applicants for the same position. There have been hundreds of teachers laid off in the past two years and they are all competing for the few jobs that are opening up due to retirement or promotion or attrition. The state and local budgets are supported by property taxes and sales taxes, both of which decline during economic slumps. Sales taxes in particular are taking a major hit right now which is causing huge funding problems. Combine that with the popular initiative process and the inherent anti-tax stance of most voters and it is exceedingly difficult for school districts to find money.

If you move to the Seattle area, don't live in the Seattle city limits. The school district is abysmal (though it does have some very good individual schools) and has failed several state audits of their finances and their adherence to state transparency laws. The district has a hard time finding funding to maintain the buildings it already has but plenty of money to implement the Superintendent's cause du jour. Bellevue School District, Lake Washington School District, Shoreline Schools and Northshore School District are all very good. Bellevue has a few high schools in the top 100 in the country and I think at least 1 in the top ten.

A lot of people want to live here, so the competition for the limited number of teaching positions is fierce.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,911,320 times
To aj847:

Seattle has one of the nation's best economies right now and is rated one of the most educated/literate cities in the USA so I assume the Seattle area must be good for people pursuing teacher careers.

However, in some ways New York City offers better teaching career possibilities than Seattle for middle/high school teachers. My sister has been a middle/high school teacher in NYC and she likes the the diversity of the type of schools that exist there. There are so many types of middle and high schools there that are so different from each other. It seems like the Seattle area's middle/high schools are more traditional and not as distinctive from each other.
Also NYC has at least 100 more public middle and high schools than Seattle because of the population difference.

I love both Seattle and NYC(I assume you from NYC when you say you are a New Yorker), and my sister likes both places too, but both of us feel that NYC *in some ways* has better teaching career opportunities for someone in general for NYC than in Seattle, especially for middle/high school. Im sure great teaching career opportunities still exist in Seattle.

To sean98: There are good schools that exist in Seattle city limits. If I had to pick between going to a good school in a city vs. a suburb,I would easily pick the city option.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To aj847:

Seattle has one of the nation's best economies right now and is rated one of the most educated/literate cities in the USA so I assume the Seattle area must be good for people pursuing teacher careers.
Not necessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
There have been hundreds of teachers laid off in the past two years and they are all competing for the few jobs that are opening up due to retirement or promotion or attrition. The state and local budgets are supported by property taxes and sales taxes, both of which decline during economic slumps. Sales taxes in particular are taking a major hit right now which is causing huge funding problems. Combine that with the popular initiative process and the inherent anti-tax stance of most voters and it is exceedingly difficult for school districts to find money.
Gov. Gregoire cut almost 1 billion dollars from education. Areas that are not affluent are suffering as a result. The affluent areas basically has a minor "setback", but overall doing enough for now. Its actually harder to get a job as a teacher unless you have a more specialized skill or do special ED.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the advice! I am in NYC, and have a position here (they just lifted a more than year-long hiring freeze). Of course, I am not choosing to move to Seattle for the career possibilities, though it will be required.

I know it is tough everywhere for teachers (and most everyone else.) I hope things will look up. We shall see!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 PM

292 posts, read 1,447,715 times
Job outlook really depends on your certification. If you are special ed, math or science, it will be easier. If you are english, social studies or PE, be prepared to wow the socks off your interviewers and bring some extra skills, e.g., spanish or korean, special training, that can make you stand out. You have to be stellar because the competition is fierce.

Also, school funding is not the greatest and salaries lag behind other states. Be sure to check the salary schedules, which are usually posted on district HR web pages. Cost of living is dropping with housing prices, but it is still not the best market.

It's a tough for teachers.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,911,320 times
To aj8: So what are your reasons for moving from NYC to Seattle?

I had many reasons for my move from NYC to Seattle.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM

Naural,

Well, my four year old is a huge reason... NYC is tough unless you have a lot of money, and we do not. I am faced with stretching ourselves beyond reason to get my son into a decent school district, never hoping to get ahead enough to actually OWN a home in said school district. I am tired of the city, which is great but doesn't hold the same draw that it did when I was 20.

My husband is from Senegal and interested in remaining in an urban environment with some acceptance of multi-culturalism, I am more of a nature person. All of this leads to Seattle (though I had seriously considered Portland), for a mix of urban, nature, and a little less of a battle to establish a nice middle class life.

My cert. is in English, which I realize is not the easiest for the job hunt. NYC is no better in that arena. I am a new teacher with a strong academic background. While I do not see anything as easy, and I have just completed a grueling job hunt, I have to make a move by next year to get my son in a good school. This either means postpone moving away and relocating in NYC, or take the leap.

We will see! What were your reasons, natural, for relocating to Seattle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area