Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 10:59 AM

6 posts, read 30,604 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I may be relocating to Bothell and am wondering what to expect as far as housing goes. I'm going to probably need a 2BR condo or home in a decent neighborhood. I wouldn't mind being within driving distance to Seattle, but since it's pretty expensive in the burbs of Seattle, I'm looking more to the east of the metro area. Any suggestions? I don't mind driving into work (Bothell). I currently reside in Raleigh, NC. What are some affordable communities around Seattle?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 12:35 AM

255 posts, read 1,195,594 times
dyoung79, hi there:

It's great to hear that you might be coming our way. Our family used to live in Waxhaw, NC which is just 30 miles south of Charlotte. I've been to Raleigh when my daughter was on a school excursion many moons ago. We had such a good time.

So, to answer your questions: One of the most affordable areas around Bothell would be Everett and Lynnwood. There are tons of condos in those areas, including some really affordable new condos. You can get to Bothell on the Bothell/Everett Highway which is just a slightly wider road than others which winds from Everett directly to Bothell. Everett now extends east of the freeway too so that it encompasses more affordable housing in the general area of Lake Stevens, although it has an Everett address.

Lake Stevens is quite pricey but parts of Snohomish might work, although neither of those towns are known for their condos.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:37 AM

6 posts, read 30,604 times
Default Thank you so much!

Hey ausiegal!

Thanks for the great post! Yes, NC is a great place to live and I've loved it here. But I've always wanted to live in WA, and there are so many gaming companies and tech companies there... + the area is just gorgeous.

So maybe if I tell you what I currently make and what I plan on making that will help narrow it down.

I currently make around 35,000 and plan on making around 50,000 hopefully. my g/f currently makes 20,000 but I'm trying to make plans in case she doesn't find work right away.

What communities are within my price range and safe? I don't mind a drive in to Bothell... I'd rather not... I mean Bothell sounds like a great place to live. I just wonder about the safety of it.

Thanks again!

Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 PM

23 posts, read 100,359 times
I agree that Lynnwood, Everett and perhaps Monroe would be possibilites for affordable housing. There are several new condo communities currently being built off of Bothell-Everett Highway, but I don't know the going rates for these. I do know that The Seattle Times ran a special section in the Sunday paper a few weeks ago on condo pricing and trends . . . perhaps you could look it up. Good luck on your move, this is a really great area to live.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 AM

255 posts, read 1,195,594 times
dyoung79, hi again:

I can answer your questions more specifically if you want to send me an email. It all has to do with debt to income ratios and FICO scores. I don't want to address that here.

Suffice to say that you definitely have sufficient income to afford a lot of house, perhaps in Bothell, but definitely in neighboring communities. It depends what your preferences are: city vs country. The country areas to the east of Bothell offer more house for less money. Bothell and Mill Creek are pricey. But, they are more upscale towns and as far as I know are safe. As I said in another post, I used to work with a church in Bothell and I have some close friends in Bothell. It's truly a very nice place to live.

Having said all that, I truly would suggest that when you come to Washington, you rent for a while and find out for yourself. You may actually prefer another area altogether.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. And all the best with your move. You will truly love the Pacific Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area