Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 PM

807 posts, read 2,254,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But even though the Pike Place market is a wonderful thing, and the oldest continuously operated farmer's market in the US, it does get overrun by tourists at times, and that makes the market harder to appreciate. The way around that is to go to the market when it's less crowded.
Also, I think one's tolerance for tourists may have a little bit to do with how much exposure one has to them. If they're not part of your everyday reality, then they are not a bother. I spent 23 years working on the Waterfront Streetcar, a place overrun with tourists( we hauled 400,000+ passengers a year, mostly tourists looking for places like " Pike's Market"," "Pike's Village", "Pike's Peak", "Pike's Landing", " The Round Thing" and " Wagon Train Village."
I'm not making any of this up. I was grateful to have the job, and enjoyed doing it. I'm not cool, definitely not cultured, and not a smug white hipster. But I still don't like tourists. Overexposure, I guess.

My god, that would drive me nuts! haha

Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,890,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Fisherman's Wharf=the waterfront strip in SF. Seaport Village=very small waterfront area in San Diego.

I had my sushi at a place on 5th. It was 5th and Aloha I believe. Perhaps this wasn't even the best place for sushi but if that's the case, I can't wait to try a better one in Seattle. If you haven't had it a good sushi place definitely check it out. I'm sure there are some great sushi places in Seattle.
Oh, maybe I visited Fisherman's wharf when I visited San Francisco for two days but didnt know that was the name of it, or I was at least nearby it when I visited Chinatown.

I love San Francisco/Bay area for many reasons, but do you think the Golden Gate Bridge might be overrated? Its a nice bridge but I dont know why some seem to talk about that so much when they think about San Francisco/Bay area, and sometimes when I see photos of people promoting San Francisco, they show that bridge.

I never heard of that sushi place I would like to try it sometime. Some other nice sushi places that Seattle seems to have is Blue C sushi and Chiso in Fremont, from what I have heard. Im sure there are other places.

Anyways, good luck on trying to enjoy your time/continuing enjoying your time in San Diego! This is one of my last days on city-data for a few months.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Oh, maybe I visited Fisherman's wharf when I visited San Francisco for two days but didnt know that was the name of it, or I was at least nearby it when I visited Chinatown.

I love San Francisco/Bay area for many reasons, but do you think the Golden Gate Bridge might be overrated? Its a nice bridge but I dont know why some seem to talk about that so much when they think about San Francisco/Bay area, and sometimes when I see photos of people promoting San Francisco, they show that bridge.

I never heard of that sushi place I would like to try it sometime. Some other nice sushi places that Seattle seems to have is Blue C sushi and Chiso in Fremont, from what I have heard. Im sure there are other places.

Anyways, good luck on trying to enjoy your time/continuing enjoying your time in San Diego! This is one of my last days on city-data for a few months.
If you were anywhere near Pier 39 then you were near Fisherman's wharf. Basically if you were at SF's waterfront passed the embarcadero.

As far as the GG bridge is concerned, it's the history behind it. The fact that they began building it (and the Bay Bridge) in the middle of the great depression. The economy of the bay area came out of the depression because of those endeavors. Also, many people lost their lives building that bridge. There are other things but the last I will mention here is the color is even unique. The distinctively colored paint is imported from Germany. Having said all that, I've only been on that bridge fewer than a dozen times.

I don't remember the name of that sushi place. Just find the QFC on 5th and Mercer and go north one to three blocks. It will be on your left.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 AM

14,771 posts, read 17,075,240 times
riiight, anyway

Seattle is definitely a city on my list when I next visit US.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:27 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,141,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
riiight, anyway

Seattle is definitely a city on my list when I next visit US.
What other cities are on the list?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:30 AM

14,771 posts, read 17,075,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
What other cities are on the list?
NY (again)
Chicago
Boston
San Fran
New Orleans
Austin

Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
NY (again)
Chicago
Boston
San Fran
New Orleans
Austin
Wow, a nice list. All over the place! How long are you staying?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Cheerleading Squad, Assemble!

Your posts have become very trollish, you have to admit. If I recall, you were moving from NYC and had checked out both Vancouver and Seattle, and decided to reside in Canada. I don't really get why you continue to hang out here and make trollish posts, but c'est la vie.
Cause I kinda like Seattle.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,639,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The way around that is to go to the market when it's less crowded.
It's an amazingly simple concept really.

Do the top level of the market first. Get there early. As the crowds grow you simply move to the lower levels which rarely get all that crowded. Makes for a great day.

I especially love starting my day at the Crumpet Shop. I'll take the Vermont thanks. Fresh Crumpet, toasted with riccota cheese, maple butter and walnuts. Truly a slice of heaven...

The Crumpet Shop - Downtown - Seattle, WA

mod interpose: To all participants of this thread-- quite a few posts have been removed from this thread, the worst of the personal attacks. The discussion from this point on should be focused on Seattle and comparing it with other cities. Any comparison of cities other than Seattle will be removed as will any further personal attacks (and remember, our Administrator considers calling others "trolls" as being a personal attack). There is a forum that is exclusively devoted to comparing cities here at C-DF. Please participate in those discussions for comparisons of other U.S. cities. Thanks. --'r

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-20-2010 at 12:01 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 01:18 AM

304 posts, read 849,649 times
Here is my list, in no particular order:
Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Nashville, Miami, New Orleans, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Denver.

I know it isn't a list of 10 but I felt I should include Albuquerque, Salt Lake City and Nashville because they are so different than your average city and so full of character. LA, Miami and Vegas are fun and memorable. NY, now that's a city. San Francisco is so romantic. Seattle is so cool. Denver is so beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area