U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Status: "Only 1 puppies of 11 left to sell." (set 10 days ago)

8,867 posts, read 4,599,307 times
I was at a truck stop in Canada and this big old Caddy with a Texas plate rolled up and the guy said,"Where are we?" I looked at him and said,"Saskatoon Saskchewan". His wife looks over at him and says,"He doesn't speak English dear". LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 14,293,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I was at a truck stop in Canada and this big old Caddy with a Texas plate rolled up and the guy said,"Where are we?" I looked at him and said,"Saskatoon Saskchewan". His wife looks over at him and says,"He doesn't speak English dear". LOL
I wasn't sure English was what they spoke in Texas.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:38 PM

8,127 posts, read 6,224,345 times
When working in a hotel in Seattle:

1:
Tourist: "Where's the nearest Wal-Mart?"
Me: "Man, I don't know... probably Kent or something... there's definitely not one right around here..."
Tourist: "I shoulda known. God-damn Seattle liberal elitists. Let me guess, you guys don't have Fox News either?"
Me: "No, we have that..."

2:
Tourist: "How long does it take to get to the airport on the monorail?"
Me: "Unfortunately, the monorail doesn't go to the airport, it just-"
Tourist: "Oh, that's right, it goes up to Vancouver..."

3 (numerous times):
Tourist: "Excuse me, I have a query..."
Oh, our lovable but backwards cousins to the North!

Old 08-21-2010, 12:52 PM

808 posts, read 1,350,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

3 (numerous times):
Tourist: "Excuse me, I have a query..."
Oh, our lovable but backwards cousins to the North!
haha it actually has a nice ring to it.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:56 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,126,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I somewhat simplified the exchange....they weren't looking for a recommendation, they were looking at a map trying to find a fast food chain like McDonalds. I told them to go into the Westlake food court, which was literally 50 feet in front of us.
Should have sent them to Gordon Biersch at the top of Pacific Place. Not fast food, but an excellent restaurant/brewery with only a small handful of locations nationwide. They could get McDonald's anywhere.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,126,563 times
Or tell them to get on the bus up aurora, get off by Green Lake, and go to Beth's Cafe. Bottomless hash browns!!!

Old 08-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Status: "Only 1 puppies of 11 left to sell." (set 10 days ago)

8,867 posts, read 4,599,307 times
I got to tell you that I have had way more funny responses to my questions while travelling around the USA than funny things said to me here in Canada by tourists.
My son and I were driving around in Florida about 30 miles south of winterhaven looking for this bird reserve. Well we could not find it and we rolled into this village that looked like a bomb had gone off in it 25 years before. There was a store and a bunch a guys hanging in front. I went up with my map and the one guy says while looking at the map,"if I could read I could probably show you wheres yer at. Well none of them had ever heard of this place so off we go and Guess what? We found it, a big freaking state bird sactuary less than 5 miles away. LOL. I thought that was pretty funny.

We were driving around in Naples Florida and I wanted to find out the best way to get to the I75. Went in to a 7-11 and asked. No one in the place knew. Went back out and down the road less than half a mile was the I75 right on the same street as the 7-11.

My wife and I were in Tennesse a few months ago at a Pilot travel center. My wife asks the clerk. "If I buy a lottery ticket here is it good in Canada? The clerk says, "It depends on what state that's in."

I was talking to a couple of girls from Marquette Michigin. You know, way up there on lake Superior. We were in Florida at the time. Anyway the one asks me, "Where are you from?" I said Toronto. Well she says, "it must have been a real cold winter up there cause it sure was cold in Marquette". I said, "Well Marquette is about 500 miles north of Toronto". "Don't be silly" she says,"everyone knows that Canada is north of the USA.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:18 AM

402 posts, read 632,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
LOLOL the images that story evokes. Ahh, and Saskatoon, home to one of the best hockey teams in the Western Hockey league. What an amazing sports town. Probably second only to Chicago

Old 08-22-2010, 01:01 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,251,856 times
I was asked by a couple who were downtown Bellevue where the fish market was.

"Do you mean the Pike Street fish market?"

"Yes."

"Well you're in the wrong city for that, you have to go across the ---"

"Don't give us that BS! C'mon honey, SOMEONE has to know where it is!"

... I guess they had no idea that Seattle was WEST of the lake and they only had to drive ~15 minutes west to get to it.
---
An obviously nervous Japanese tourist asked me once, "Excuse me, but are there a lot of murders near here?"

I sort of stared at him blankly for a second, thinking that I may have some fun with this one, but I didn't, and said "No, Seattle is pretty safe."

That didn't convince him, and probably rightfully so, since Japan is light years safer than anywhere in the USA. He then asked, "Where can you buy a gun?"

I just replied I didn't know and not many people have them, and should stop freaking out and just enjoy himself. I then got on a bus and hopefully the poor soul got over the scary, dangerous, crime-riddled USA rumors that spread like wildfire in other parts of the world and just enjoyed himself.

I think I heard about a group of Japanese tourists who got held up at gunpoint around that time, so maybe that's where his nervousness came from.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:53 PM

5,518 posts, read 6,208,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I think I heard about a group of Japanese tourists who got held up at gunpoint around that time, so maybe that's where his nervousness came from.
Was it Ichiro's parents? That made major news in Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area