U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 PM

541 posts, read 955,092 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with very low vitamin D last year and the doc had me on 50,000 IU pills once a week for two or three months. I lived in Cleveland, Ohio back then.

Seattle will be warmer this winter, but darker, so I won't get my UV. I would like to get 50,000 IU pills here without a prescription if that is possible, even if via the internet through a foreign company. Anyone else take vitamin D in the cloudy months or try alternatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 PM

5,731 posts, read 9,281,723 times
To usernametaken:

Let me first say that Vitamin D deficiencies can actually happen anywhere in the world if people arent informed about nutrition/vitamins/nutrient information.

I had a vitamin D deficiency in southern New York state(southern NY state is actually a relatively sunny place) during spring-summer there 2 years ago because I wasnt having enough Vitamin D in food, and wasnt getting enough direct sun exposure then.

I know MANY people that dont actually get enough direct sun exposure, and some may not even know that they have low levels in vitamin d, even if they live in a very sunny place.

I moved to Seattle in February 2010, and I never had a vitamin d deficiency since then because I make sure to get some vitamin d in a supplement and get some vitamin D in food such as soy milk and things like that. I also try to get direct sun exposure twice a week when its sunnier outside here.

When its cloudy for at least 3 days in a row or more I then make sure I get 1,000-2,000 IU of Vitamin D in a supplement(the multivitamin i take has some vitamin d in it) and have some food with vitamin D. And I will especially do that November-January because the sun rays arent strong enough during that time of the year to get vitamin d from sun exposure.

Im surprised you take THAT MUCH vitamin D. I heard from some doctors 2,000-5,000 IU is the daily recommended intake, not 50,000. 50,000 a day sounds like toxic levels of vitamin D. Why dont you lower it to 2,000-5,000 IU a day and have it from both supplement, food, and direct sun exposure?

Overall, though every weather/climate has things about it where people have to adjust/prepare for
Examples: When it is below 50 degrees outside someone has to wear a coat or they can die from the cold, get a fever, etc.
When it is above 90 degrees someone has to make sure to have extra water and try to have air conditioning or they die/get heat exhaustion.
When there is severe thunderstorm, someone has to try to seek shelter or they might get struck by lightning, or they might be a tornado.
And other examples too.

So having to take a little more Vitamin d in food/supplements isnt a big deal to me compared to other adjustments someone might have to make related to weather/climate.

And like I said before, someone can even live in a place like Arizona or Florida, and still might end up getting a Vitamin D deficiency.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 PM

6,991 posts, read 11,438,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
I was diagnosed with very low vitamin D last year and the doc had me on 50,000 IU pills once a week for two or three months. I lived in Cleveland, Ohio back then.

Seattle will be warmer this winter, but darker, so I won't get my UV. I would like to get 50,000 IU pills here without a prescription if that is possible, even if via the internet through a foreign company. Anyone else take vitamin D in the cloudy months or try alternatives?
There is always light treatments.

And when I was growing up, I was told eat a lot of fish (or at least take fish oil pills). I read later that Icelandic don't really get affected by SAD because their intake of Vitamin D (from their diet, which includes a lot of fish) is very high.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:20 PM

To Inkpoe: Good points! Did you see my post above and agree?

Milk such as cows milk and soy milk is also good for vitamin d and goes well with fish/fish oil pills, and there are cheap multivitamins that has vitamin d in it(365 day supply for $20).

And good points about Iceland/Icelandics. That country actually gets less sunshine than Seattle per year.

Seattle gets the same amount of sunshine per year on average as places like London, Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow etc(1,500-2,000 sunshine hours per year).

Old 09-10-2010, 11:15 PM

543 posts, read 1,198,010 times
This is a great question and point to bring out to everyone. Everyone should be checked for this on a regular basis. I was diagnosed with a sever deficiency (and had no idea) where my level was at 7 (yes SEVEN), and I was diagnosed with the same amount as you. I then was taking a multivitamin, extra calcium pill and extra 1000 iud of vitamin D daily and still my D was at 25 ( true optimal is 30-100, where around 50 is truly best). So now I take 2000 iud daily minimum. It is very difficult to OD on this, btw. Also, when I was initially diagnosed, my pharmacist here in Seattle said that it is extremely common here.

One more thing--be sure to take any vitamin D supplement with some form of calcium (either food or drink or another calcium supplement) as calcium is required for proper vitamin D absorption.

I have lived here 12 years to give you an idea of Seattle's possible environmental effect--although I agree with the PP that said this can happen almost anywhere. I do believe the PNW is prone to it, however, and I believe it is directly related to the unusually high diagnosis of MS in our area.

I can't say enough about getting enough vitamin D! Deficiency of it is the cause of many, many serious illnesses and diseases and is something that the population at large really needs to become more aware of!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:04 AM

7,216 posts, read 5,688,091 times
We take D3 supplements, daily. My DH takes 10,000 IU; I take 2,000. He's deficient, I am only low. Both are doctor recommended.

BTW: One doesn't have to be in non-sunny regions to be deficient. My friend in Tucson is, and we just finished two years of travel through some very sunny regions where we got much more than the daily exposure recommended.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 AM

251 posts, read 451,997 times
I currently live in Wisconsin, which is actually a VERY sunny state in the spring and summer months.
I was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency earlier this year and have been on liquid D3 ever since.
I will be moving to Seattle by the end of the year and anticipate I'll need a slight increase in my dosage. I'm so grateful I found out of this deficiency and have been able to treat it before moving

Old 09-11-2010, 10:07 AM

3,178 posts, read 12,624,421 times
what was your Vit D score when they took your blood work?

I was deficient, my score was said to be "lower then people from Alaska" when I lived there.

I took a liquid supplement that could be added to my food or taken directly under the tongue. It's called Super D. And can be found at The Vitamin Store

Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 PM

To trinitylove:

That was one of my points before. Someone can actually get a vitamin d deficiency anywhere if they dont get enough direct sun exposure, vitamin d and calcium in food and a supplement. I had a vitamin d deficiency in southern new york state last spring and summer, and southern new york state gets much more sunshine than the PCNW, but I treated that deficiency since November 2009.

I moved to Seattle in February 2010 and I never had a Vitamin D deficiency here since I moved here. All I did was slightly increase the vitamin D I had and thats it.

To sekhmet: The MS rate might be "unusually high" here but its still probably .05% of people that get it vs.03% of people that get it in a place with the lowest rate so it really isnt much of a difference. It can also be easily prevented/treated by nutrition and things like that too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver actually are rated in the top 5/10 for healthiest lifestyles and fittest people in their respective countries while in the USA the most unhealthiest cities/states statistically are in the sunnier warmer states such as in the southeast/Appalachia.

So that is a great example that shows the PCNW doesnt have to be bad for someone's else but can actually be good for them!(So much availability of healthy food products, and healthy lifestyle possibilities here, Good air and water quality most of the time. Seattle/Portland/Vancouver are some of the most cleanest and least polluted cities in North America for their sizes,etc.

This is why it bothers me when some people think living in a place like the PCNw can be bad for someone's health or something because it doesnt have to be like that.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:28 AM

1,738 posts, read 4,228,675 times
nub?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area