Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM

124 posts, read 368,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post

My point is that people complain about the drivers in almost all the city and state forums here on C-D.

If it's not people who can't merge properly, it's people who don't signal, if it's not people who don't signal, it's people who signal too soon, if it's not people who drive too fast, it's people who drive too slow, if it's not people who drive too slow it's people who tailgate, if it's not people who tailgate, it's people who leave too much room between them and the car in front of them, ad nauseam.

Complaining about drivers in any city other than the city where you live, or learned to drive in seems to have become a national pastime.

Oh, and thy the way, there is no fast lane...there is a passing lane...but it is not a fast lane.
It's an east coast colloquialism for the left most lane of a highway. The fast lane and the passing lane are the same thing.

So what you're telling me is that there are no bad drivers anywhere in the US? People certainly do like to complain around here and I generally refrain from it. If you look at any of my previous posts, you can see that I absolutely love it here. However, the drivers around here drive me up the wall.

It most certainly isn't that everywhere is always 'full of bad drivers' or that I think I'm the best driver on earth. I've had my own stupid moments, but nothing like around here. On the way back from dinner tonight for instance, I had one person almost take off the nose of my car when switching lanes and one person that was trying to take a right on red that apparently didn't see my headlights going through the green light.

So just for illustration on how it's not always one thing or another that makes the drivers in every state look bad, lets look at my list of states/countries so far this year:

Canada - Timid, but they drive the speed limit and get out of the fast lane.
MO - They don't signal 100% of the time, but otherwise can't complain.
IL - Way too many tolls in this state, but no complaints about the drivers
TX - Hilarious that they go about 5mph when it gets below 50 out, but they can drive just fine
CA - Zero complaints.
NY - Incredibly aggressive down state, don't honk or they'll start screaming at you, tend to drive 15-20mph over the limit.
CT- Less aggressive, just as fast.
UT - The roads are empty, there pretty much is no traffic here on the highways.
OK - Same as anywhere else really.
OH - Same as OK.

I've spent at least 2-3 months living in all of these states in the past 3 years. These are just the ones I've been in this year. I can't really complain about any of them other than NYC. WA drivers however drive me up the freaking wall. Certainly this is an extremely personal opinion and obviously not shared by all, but it's the one pet peeve I have around here.

Last edited by packet; 09-16-2010 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 11:55 PM

53 posts, read 125,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
CA - Zero complaints.
Wow.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikiAdam View Post
Wow.
Maybe you know something I don't, I just lived there for a couple years and I've never had any big problems. There's a lot of traffic, but I've never been sideswiped by one and they don't do jersey sweeps. They're a bit slow to start going at a green light, but whatever.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:07 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,021 times
Aw, the never-ending subject of Seattle drivers. Yes, I agree, not the best. However, keep in mind that many grew up here when Seattle was much smaller and are extremely anti-change when it comes to what Seattle is today. Add on the fact that there is a certain segment of the population that resents growth so much, they deliberately drive slowly to make some kind of "point". Just another form of Seattle "snobbery". Frankly, I'm amazed there isn't more road rage due to these issues. My advice to these Seattleites: keep up with the flow, your "point" isn't working.

Last edited by pw72; 09-18-2010 at 09:19 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 02:21 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
It's an east coast colloquialism for the left most lane of a highway. The fast lane and the passing lane are the same thing.

So what you're telling me is that there are no bad drivers anywhere in the US? People certainly do like to complain around here and I generally refrain from it. If you look at any of my previous posts, you can see that I absolutely love it here. However, the drivers around here drive me up the wall.

It most certainly isn't that everywhere is always 'full of bad drivers' or that I think I'm the best driver on earth. I've had my own stupid moments, but nothing like around here. On the way back from dinner tonight for instance, I had one person almost take off the nose of my car when switching lanes and one person that was trying to take a right on red that apparently didn't see my headlights going through the green light.

So just for illustration on how it's not always one thing or another that makes the drivers in every state look bad, lets look at my list of states/countries so far this year:

Canada - Timid, but they drive the speed limit and get out of the fast lane.
MO - They don't signal 100% of the time, but otherwise can't complain.
IL - Way too many tolls in this state, but no complaints about the drivers
TX - Hilarious that they go about 5mph when it gets below 50 out, but they can drive just fine
CA - Zero complaints.
NY - Incredibly aggressive down state, don't honk or they'll start screaming at you, tend to drive 15-20mph over the limit.
CT- Less aggressive, just as fast.
UT - The roads are empty, there pretty much is no traffic here on the highways.
OK - Same as anywhere else really.
OH - Same as OK.

I've spent at least 2-3 months living in all of these states in the past 3 years. These are just the ones I've been in this year. I can't really complain about any of them other than NYC. WA drivers however drive me up the freaking wall. Certainly this is an extremely personal opinion and obviously not shared by all, but it's the one pet peeve I have around here.
I absolutely and 1000% percent agree with you. I have been all over the US and WA drivers by a landslide are the WORST. I cannot believe there are not more road rage incidents here, although I guess it is not that surprising since most drivers are in La La Land here anyway. Never have I seen so many incidences of drivers being in the far left fast lane then suddenly deciding to exit 50 feet away and just slowing down to almost a stop to get over! Brainiacs, if you miss the exit you are just going to have to get off further down and turn around. Or I love the 4-5 ways stops where everyone sits there for an hour to be uber polite to let everyone else go. Or when the traffic light turns green and everyone sits there for a serious 10+ seconds before moving, only allotting 5 people at most to get through the light. I have often joked it's because there is such easy access to good pot here, but I think there actually might be something to that.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikiAdam View Post
Wow.
The only "complaint" I have about CA drivers is they don't signal. But at least they are not timid and know how to drive and especially merge. Timid drivers need to get off the road and utilize public transportation, for everybody's safety and peace of mind.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
My point is that people complain about the drivers in almost all the city and state forums here on C-D.

If it's not people who can't merge properly, it's people who don't signal, if it's not people who don't signal, it's people who signal too soon, if it's not people who drive too fast, it's people who drive too slow, if it's not people who drive too slow it's people who tailgate, if it's not people who tailgate, it's people who leave too much room between them and the car in front of them, ad nauseam.

Complaining about drivers in any city other than the city where you live, or learned to drive in seems to have become a national pastime.

Oh, and thy the way, there is no fast lane...there is a passing lane...but it is not a fast lane.

You are dead WRONG and packet is completely right. I have been all over the US (and I am not "from" here, but have lived here for 12 years) and Seattle drivers are the absolute worst. And sorry, you are wrong about the fast lane. It may not be the "law" but it is the culture of everyone on the road. Your posts (this one and others) on this matter so clearly defines the the often seen passive aggressive behavior of Seattle.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:35 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
The only "complaint" I have about CA drivers is they don't signal. But at least they are not timid and know how to drive and especially merge. Timid drivers need to get off the road and utilize public transportation, for everybody's safety and peace of mind.
See... that's where I beg to differ. I've seen lots of "merging" where the car stays furthest to the right, always slowly and only to join in with the traffic where it would impede with the traffic the most. Seattle drivers can be annoying, but I'd rather deal with the 167 driver/merger than these CA who just "merge" in like that. CA bad driving is also reflected very well in their State Patrol cops. CA and TX were the two states I was most annoyed with, in terms of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
You are dead WRONG and packet is completely right. I have been all over the US (and I am not "from" here, but have lived here for 12 years) and Seattle drivers are the absolute worst. And sorry, you are wrong about the fast lane. It may not be the "law" but it is the culture of everyone on the road. Your posts (this one and others) on this matter so clearly defines the the often seen passive aggressive behavior of Seattle.
"Sorry" that you're wrong about this. It is called "passing lane" legally and technically because that is its intended feature. You are still expected to observe the speed limit laws and being in the "fast" lane doesn't change that at all. Just because "everyone does it" doesn't make it de facto and won't hold up in court. If you get pulled over for speeding, you really think a judge is going to let you off when you say "but its the culture of everyone on the road."? This comment so clearly defines the so often seen entitlement aggressive driving of... well, everywhere.

From my experience (and I traveled just about everywhere except for New England and Alaska)... I would say that the Southwest (discounting a huge portion of Las Vegas and a sliver of Arizona) have the best drivers. After dealing with LV drivers, believe me... I was glad to deal with the la-la land of the Seattle drivers. At least you can figure what exactly is up with the Seattle drivers.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 AM

58 posts, read 87,602 times
my experience is that the fast lane aka the *passing* lane is no passing lane at all. people never get out of your way. and if they do its because they actually know the laws of the road, or are aware of there surroundings, or are tired of being tailgated and notice a string of 10 cars behind them and finally switch lanes. beyond frustrating on parts of I-5 going south when its down to 2 lanes on the way to portland!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
"Sorry" that you're wrong about this. It is called "passing lane" legally and technically because that is its intended feature. You are still expected to observe the speed limit laws and being in the "fast" lane doesn't change that at all. Just because "everyone does it" doesn't make it de facto and won't hold up in court. If you get pulled over for speeding, you really think a judge is going to let you off when you say "but its the culture of everyone on the road."? This comment so clearly defines the so often seen entitlement aggressive driving of... well, everywhere.
You're arguing semantics. It has nothing to do with people speeding and everything to do with people trying to get around slow moving traffic. People refer to it as the fast lane as the right most lane of the highway is also called the slow lane. The slow lane is for slower moving traffic and the fast lane is for faster moving traffic. You're supposed to travel in the slow lane unless someone is going slower in front of you, and then move into the fast or passing lane to pass.

It's also the law here in WA and there are signs on the highways notifying people of this fact, and yet I still end up having to pass on the right because some jackass decides to go 55 mph in the 'passing lane' when the speed limit is 70mph. If you want to go 15 under, so be it. Just don't hold up other traffic behind you. It's not like I'm going 20 mph over the limit either. I just want to go the speed limit, not 10mph under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area