Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM

124 posts, read 368,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
??? I found MO drivers, at least in the St. Louis area to be morons. Nowhere did I see more turnovers, wrecks, and general annoyances like STOPPING ON THE ONRAMP TO A HIGHWAY WHEN THE ONLY SIGN IS TO YIELD! It's like they don't know how to merge! Yet one more reason I'm never moving back there, not even if my job depended on it.
I've been in St Louis a month this year and I'll be out there all October. From what I've seen, they'll drive 10-15 mph over the limit on the highways. The only place I haven't seen them use a signal to merge is in the lower rent area near the airport. I guess there was the one person that went the wrong way down a one way street. Other than that, nothing worse than anywhere else I've been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 11:36 AM

124 posts, read 368,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
One person's opinion:

Most obnoxious stretch of road with rude drivers: I-95.
Clueless snow/ice drivers: Texas. They drive 65 on icy freeways.
Funny enough, I used to work at a job in Stamford, CT and had to take 95 to get home. On a good day it took 1.5 hours to go 6 miles. On a heavy traffic day, it took 3 hours. That's why I laugh when people talk about traffic being terrible around WA. Yeah it gets heavy, but you are actually moving more than 4.5mph on a good day.

Ice in TX makes me laugh to be honest. They quite clearly never drive in it. Last winter I was in Dallas and it began to dust outside. It barely started to stick and everyone had to leave dinner early because it was 'getting bad outside'. The next morning there was a bit of ice and people would actually slow down or stop going up hills.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:06 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,627,568 times
I drove around the Northwest this weekend, and I must say the widely varying speed limits within the states effect the traffic. Idaho is 75 on the Interstate, Washington is 70, and Oregon is STILL at 65 for some unknown reason. It is quite amusing to see WA and OR trying to react to the high Idaho speed. Some try, some just keep driving at their own state's speed. Probably just the difference of those paying attention and those who are stuck in their habits. Here's some advice: pay attention. Every state is different, not only in speed, but enforcement. WA is a heavy enforcement state, OR seems to have given up, and ID seems to enforce only in specific areas. Knowledge is key in this situation. The great thing about living in a location for more than a few years, is you learn where you need to be careful, and where it doesn't matter.

Here is an example: Between Mountain Home, ID and Sun Valley, ID there is extremely heavy penetration of speed patrols. However, get into areas further east, and it is virtually non-existent. I'm sure population/tourist traffic has something to do with it, but it really is night and day.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:36 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,355,220 times
My bro was just up here in Vancouver from Seattle (we both drove L.A. for years) and commented on the three aggressive tailgaters he had to deal with once he crossed the border! I guess everything is comparative.
Neither Seattle nor Vancouver has any real estate to work with when it comes to roadwork.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:34 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,591,722 times
The number of people who are weaving/texting while driving makes me want to stay off the roads permanently. Every third car, it seems, has a driver with a cell phone on the top of the steering wheel, texting.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 AM

93 posts, read 307,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
The number of people who are weaving/texting while driving makes me want to stay off the roads permanently. Every third car, it seems, has a driver with a cell phone on the top of the steering wheel, texting.
+1

One thing that will scare me is that no one seems to know how to drive in the rain here (ironic right?), what is going to happen when it starts snowing because of La Nina?

Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 AM

542 posts, read 1,475,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oso_te_great View Post
+1

One thing that will scare me is that no one seems to know how to drive in the rain here (ironic right?), what is going to happen when it starts snowing because of La Nina?

They all either decide to stay in where it is safe or decide it's a good idea to drive down the narrow steep hills in Queen Anne (with cars parked on either side).

Old 09-30-2010, 05:40 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,542,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
You're getting worked up because I called it the fast lane instead of the passing lane and going on a rant about speeding. It's merely a colloquialism and you seem to take offense to the fact that people from a different part of the country call it the fast lane. Even my drivers ed teacher way back in the day called it the fast lane.
This has to be the single most annoying thing about driving in the US. It never bothered me until I lived somewhere (Germany) where you drive in the right lane unless passing, or when traffic is so heavy that both lanes are packed. It's always the first thing I notice when returning from a trip overseas. I figure it's because some folks just want to be traffic cops and figure nobody should drive faster than they do. Or perhaps the thought of having to change lanes occasionally to avoid merging traffic or a big rig is too daunting. Or perhaps because they've never driven where this is expected (law in Germany) and simply have no idea... Probably the latter.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:50 PM

11 posts, read 42,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
This has to be the single most annoying thing about driving in the US. It never bothered me until I lived somewhere (Germany) where you drive in the right lane unless passing, or when traffic is so heavy that both lanes are packed. It's always the first thing I notice when returning from a trip overseas. I figure it's because some folks just want to be traffic cops and figure nobody should drive faster than they do. Or perhaps the thought of having to change lanes occasionally to avoid merging traffic or a big rig is too daunting. Or perhaps because they've never driven where this is expected (law in Germany) and simply have no idea... Probably the latter.
Just once, I would love to see the Washington State Patrol pull over and ticket one of the clueless campers in the fast lane.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:49 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,915,534 times
I guess the hardest thing for me to deal with, coming from CA, is the ability to drive in and out of car pool lanes at will: I'm used to being "stuck" in that lane until there's a legal entrance/exit point. It's very convenient, but when you're driving in the next lane over (notice, I didn't use the term "fast" or "passing"!) you have to be ready for car-pool-lane cars to weave in and out. Guess I'll get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area