U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM

578 posts, read 861,959 times
Yeah we have been looking a lot in the Highlands in specific so far...All great info! Sounds promising

i'm surprised the commute is shorter than I expected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:35 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,624,213 times
I live in Sammamish (south end) and just down the street from Issaquah and Lake Sammamish. Highlands would be good and you could also try an area called The Trossachs for renting. Very nice subdivision with fantastic views. I live in an older part of Sammamish called Pine Lake. We love it! Sounds like all of your needs would be met in Issaquah or south end of Sammamish. My husband uses the Express Bus service out of Issaquah Transit center and it's fairly fast! Good luck!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:09 AM

127 posts, read 182,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Yes, the bus service from Issaquah is extremely efficient. From the Issaquah Park and Ride to downtown Seattle, there is the 214 route that is non-stop using the HOV corridors once leaving the P&R (even from the P&R to the freeway) all the way to the south-end of the downtown CBD.
Great thanks, that's good news. We have made all our plans on living somewhere on the Sammamish Plateau near to 228th Avenue or a P&R so I can get the bus to DT Seattle each day.

Now the hard bit is actually finding a 5 bed home to rent on the Plateau, with just 4 days to emigration!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:31 PM

327 posts, read 1,025,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Alright, hopefully in the next 1-2 at the most myself and my family are attempting to move to either Seattle or Portland...I've searched and read and browsed for months on end about which we should decide and would work better for us.

From what I gathered Issaquah is on the eastside in the foothills/base of mountains? Seems to be newer/more cookie cutter, great schools, and somewhat of a easier commute than other areas surrounding the metro. I'm thinking that we should fairly easily be able to rent something around 1700-1900 per month, maybe more? will have to budget at that time... We do have 2 small children and 2 dogs...So hopefully something with a small patio/piece of grass and a 2 car garage. I don't mind a townhome community. The grass isn't a REQUIREMENT but it would be nice for those days i am unable to give my pups the proper exercise. We are looking for a family friendly newer suburb. We are in our mid 20s I work in the medical field (will definetly find work prior to moving) The wages for my career look about 55-65k average in Seattle, and from what I can tell there are actually quite a few openings. My wife works in banking, just for supplemental income of about 20k a year. We have no car payments and a few small bills. We love winter sports, city exploring, sand volleyball, hiking, biking, and attending MLS and college football games.

We currently live in Boise, my wife and I both grew up in Phoenix. We like the safety and family orient of Boise, but the big city accomadations of Phoenix.

So we figured Portland would be a good fit, because its slightly smaller than Seattle yet big enough to offer what we are looking for...But after some research, it seems as if the attitude and "keep it weird" theory might be a little to extreme for us. (nothing against portlanders, hopefully I am wrong). And haven't found an area that has really drawn us to it in Portland like the Issaquah area has in Seattle...plus living near the sound seems awesome after living in the bay area for a year.
We plan on visiting each city in both the winter and the summer to experience the weather differences. we've researched in depth about the clouds/rain/SAD etc....

Wow, so long winded! sorry just trying to provide as much background info as possible.
I think it sounds like you are on the right track. I agree with what all of the previos posters comments so far. If you are wanting a newer area within Issaquah, I would look at Issaquah Highlands area of Issaquah. If you like Issaquah Highlands, you might also consider Snoqualmie Ridge which is just a few minute further east on I-90.
Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area