Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:07 AM

57 posts, read 112,263 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a feeling for the cost of things in Seattle.

If you went to your local grocery store today, about how much would you pay for:

A pound of 90% lean ground beef?
A whole chicken?
A gallon of fresh milk?
A 1000ML can of coffee (not the fancy stuff, but already ground canned coffee)?
A dozen large eggs?

Does anyone know if the city of Seattle has ordinances against having a few live chickens? Right now I have two chickens in cages on my back patio and we eat their fresh eggs. Its enough to keep up in eggs for just the cost of their feed. We spend about $1 a month for their feed and we get about 40 eggs a month.

When its just two birds, they dont smell if you change the lining in their cage a couple times a week.

I saw a video on youtube from pike market and I saw a sign for king crab legs at $23 a pound. Is that typical? Sea bass was $20 a pound. Is that typical for the cost of seafood in Seattle?

Another thing, how much is a quarter pound value meal at McDonald's? I know many wont eat their, but because they are a world wide chain, it does help to compare prices. Where I am right now, a QP value meal with small fry and drink is 130 pesos. At the current exchange rate that is about $2.80.

I am just trying to understand the costs and incomes. Read no more if you are not interested in making COL comparisons of different areas.

I see Seattle software developer contract jobs are paying between 40 and 65 an hour (can be more if you wait it out). Here in Cebu Philippines, a typical software developer makes about $800 to $1000 a month. In Manila, it will go up to about $1500 to $1800, but it costs about 50 to 100 % more to live in Manila than in Cebu. Given I am a US expat, I've made much more, but the income flow has been inconsistant.

Right now I live in a quiet area of Cebu City (maybe equivalent of living in Queen Anne relative to downtown Seattle distance wise). I rent a 2 story 3 bed 3 bath apartment for about $400 a month.

If you smoke cigarettes (I dont), you can get a pack of local brand for the equal of 75 cents. I bought a 750ml bottle of vodka for about $2. A 1L bottle of local beer cost about $1.10. A one hour massage (standard oil massage with no funny business) cost about $5. I can become a PADI certified diver for about $400.

From what I can see, if you want to live a decent lifestyle in Seattle, and pay standard taxes, you really need to earn about 8k a month gross to cover the bills.

I've seen lots of debates on forums in relationship to "how much does it cost to live in X" (like Bangkok, Hong Kong, Cebu City, etc., etc.) and it always comes down to choice of life style.

What is your opinion on the monthly expense for a husband and wife with child wanting to live in their own dwelling (not sharing a space), not have a car and be living in Seattle proper. Im thinking the monthly expenses would be pushing up to $4k a month with good budgeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 02:25 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,803 times
I think you are right on the about 4000. Depending on how old your child is, perhaps a little less. That is about what my husband and I pay, but we go out a lot and have higher grocery bills than "average." Also we have a car which we pay gas, insurance and parking (you can get a monthly unlimited metro bus car for I think around $80-90, and depending on how old your kid is, they would ride free or get a reduced rate.

Regarding the chickens, I think they just recently became legal in the city of Seattle? Or some new regulation about it recently came into effect? You would have to google that. But I do know some neighbors down the street have had chickens for quite some time (have a coop on the side of their house).

Go to Safeway.com and put in the zip code 98109 (Queen Anne) to get an idea of the prices. Actually it TOTALLY depends on where you shop. In my neighborhood there are several grocery stores nearby: Safway, Trader Joes, Metropolitian Market, Whole Foods, Ballard Market, PCC, and QFC. I store hop, buying different things at different stores.

Regarding prices you saw at Pike Place Market, that is a tourist trap, never buy your seafood there if you are a local on a budget. Crab is still expensive, but you don't have to pay those prices. Fresh local produce can be good at PPM, although it is better priced the farther into the market you go.

I also like Top Banana on 15th and 65th in Ballard. I can get 2 filled-to-the-brim bags of fresh produce for $30 or less. Neighborhood farmer's markets are good, too. They have them in Queen Anne (Thursdays), Ballard and Fremont (Sundays), and then (the days of the weeks for these, I don't know) in Capital Hill, Phinney Ridge---really I think EVERY neighborhood has one during the warm season of the year for one day a week.

Also keep in mind while there is no income tax here, sales tax is 10%.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:47 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromGA View Post

If you went to your local grocery store today, about how much would you pay for:

A whole chicken?
A gallon of fresh milk?
A dozen large eggs?
You can get all these on sale at different stores. Personally I pay $2.18 for 18 Brown Large eggs @ Winco. For best deals on milk, meat and all that, Costco is your best bet. If you don't want to do Costco, then Trader Joe's got good deals. A gallon of milk is 2.49 at TJ's.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the city of Seattle has ordinances against having a few live chickens? Right now I have two chickens in cages on my back patio and we eat their fresh eggs. Its enough to keep up in eggs for just the cost of their feed. We spend about $1 a month for their feed and we get about 40 eggs a month.

When its just two birds, they dont smell if you change the lining in their cage a couple times a week.
Live just outside of Seattle city limits... as far as I know, there's a 3 animal limit. My neighbor actually has something like 25 chickens (which is illegal, but none of us reported it yet). My friends (living in Kenmore/Bothell) had several... I think it depends on exactly where you live. They were just talking about it in the news about the Chickens within Seattle proper-- I guess they're allowing some?

Quote:
Another thing, how much is a quarter pound value meal at McDonald's? I know many wont eat their, but because they are a world wide chain, it does help to compare prices. Where I am right now, a QP value meal with small fry and drink is 130 pesos. At the current exchange rate that is about $2.80.

I am just trying to understand the costs and incomes. Read no more if you are not interested in making COL comparisons of different areas.
IIRC, Its a little over 6 dollars (with Med fry/drink)... so I would assume it be just below 6 dollars with a small fry/drink.

Quote:
If you smoke cigarettes (I dont), you can get a pack of local brand for the equal of 75 cents. I bought a 750ml bottle of vodka for about $2. A 1L bottle of local beer cost about $1.10. A one hour massage (standard oil massage with no funny business) cost about $5. I can become a PADI certified diver for about $400.

From what I can see, if you want to live a decent lifestyle in Seattle, and pay standard taxes, you really need to earn about 8k a month gross to cover the bills.

I've seen lots of debates on forums in relationship to "how much does it cost to live in X" (like Bangkok, Hong Kong, Cebu City, etc., etc.) and it always comes down to choice of life style.

What is your opinion on the monthly expense for a husband and wife with child wanting to live in their own dwelling (not sharing a space), not have a car and be living in Seattle proper. Im thinking the monthly expenses would be pushing up to $4k a month with good budgeting.
... Taxes here are high. Not only do we have the 10% sale taxes, but there are a lot of sin taxes as well. $2 for 750mL of vodka... NEVER going to happen here (and it be closer to 20). Cigs are closer to 9 dollars. Massage is about 25 dollars. I notice that for simple entertainment like bowling, going to the movie theatres... the cost is very high as well. But you're saving yourselves a lot by not having a car and its expenses. If you're really good with budgeting, I can see someone (with a child) making it on 3,500/mo.

Bigger Question: Are you planning on sending your child to private/public school?

Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 AM

My child isnt even 3 yet, so no school at all. Though it may happen if my wife can score a job as a nurse. Right now she only has a b1/b2 visa, so she cannot work (she is a Filipina). We've been married for over 4 years so she easily qualifies for citizenship, but the process is drawn out and time consuming. We'll be checking out the options while there. So, until she can work legally, she'll be a stay at home mom with our son, which is actually a good thing overall. I'm no fan of her working while our son is suck in a glorified day care.

Some things are more expensive here. Milk is about $1.50 per liter here and its that UHT stuff that doesnt even need to be in the fridge until opened. Cheese is another thing that is hard to come by and winds up being imported, thus more expensive.

I anticipate having a much larger income than the 3500 a month budget, but our goal is to live well below our means. I'd rather live in an area like Queen Anne though. At least thats what I'm thinking before I arrive. From what I've read and seen on Google street views it looks good.

I wonder how realistic the Google street views are. To me, the international district looks really nice too. I actually think it looks nicer on street view than most of what I've seen for Bellevue. For example:

This random spot I picked in Bellevue:
Google Maps

doesnt seem as nice to me as this spot in the ID:

Google Maps

I've read about all this crime and bad neighborhood stuff, but everything I see about the ID looks nice and quiet. Maybe street view is unrealistic?

Old 09-13-2010, 03:33 AM

Sales tax here in Cebu City is 12%, yet booze and cigs are very cheap. It seems all the "sin stuff" is much cheaper here than in Seattle. Its the imports that are more expensive. $6 for a QP value meal at McDonalds? Are you sure about that?? That seems like the price at the airport or something.

3 years ago, two people could have a decent meal and drinks at a place like Chili's in Atlanta suburbs for about $30. Is that reasonable in Seattle?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
City of Seattle allows you to keep three chickens. They also allow pygmy goats and pot bellied pigs. Probably not a good idea if you're renting a 350 square foot studio in the International District
Seattle Tilth teaches classes on keeping chickens in the city.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Sales tax here in Cebu City is 12%, yet booze and cigs are very cheap. It seems all the "sin stuff" is much cheaper here than in Seattle. Its the imports that are more expensive. $6 for a QP value meal at McDonalds? Are you sure about that?? That seems like the price at the airport or something.

3 years ago, two people could have a decent meal and drinks at a place like Chili's in Atlanta suburbs for about $30. Is that reasonable in Seattle?
Yes... If I buy 2 combo meals with a child meal, its over 18 dollars. Everything's gone up, even the children's meal which is no longer $2.99. Wendy's... for the same, I can expect to pay closer to 22 dollars. Which is enough to just stay home and eat on the cheap and save the eating out money for something more nice.

Chili's went out of business years ago (in Seattle area, at least). My whole family just went to IHOP.... 4 adults and a child... the bill was 78 dollars! It wasn't that expensive before. But, it could be possible to spend 30 dollars if you go somewhere like Red Robin and spend 30 dollars on two people (though, with drinks, it'll be more). Ultimately, you'll be more selective.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM

19 posts, read 63,901 times
i just moved here from NC and i noticed yesterday a 1.75ml bottle of rum was 32.00 where as in NC it was 19.00

Old 09-16-2010, 10:11 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Alcohol taxes are high here, but there is a ballot measure that opens the door for competition with state liquor stores.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM

124 posts, read 368,874 times
Quote:

A whole chicken?
A gallon of fresh milk?
A dozen large eggs?
around $2.50/lb for ground beef. $0.99/lb for chicken. $1.99 for milk. No idea on coffee as I don't drink it. Around $2 for eggs, but I haven't looked lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area