U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2010, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,417 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My wife is finishing an accounting degree and we are interested in relocating to Seattle from Lexington, Kentucky when she's done.

I have an electrical engineering degree from the University of Kentucky and am interested in pursing a Masters -> PhD at the University of Washington in computer science. I've been working as a development engineer on embedded firmware in laser printers for 3 1/2 years now and have decided that I'd like to really dig into the CS side more.

My question to you folks are what is the typical path for someone moving into the area, establishing residency and than entering the University of Washington CS program?

I've spent some months haunting this site trying to learn about the pros and cons of the Seattle area and we intend to visit the area next year for a couple of weeks so that we can get personal experiences of the city. My wife visited Seattle years ago but I have not.

I love nature, but hate the heat. I thoroughly enjoy rain and overcast days. Coffee is my soul food, although I have had to go to decaf for health reasons.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 PM

461 posts, read 846,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeijandi View Post
I love nature, but hate the heat. I thoroughly enjoy rain and overcast days. Coffee is my soul food, although I have had to go to decaf for health reasons.
Sounds like you're a natural already

Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 AM

9 posts, read 8,679 times
UW has an excellent CS program and it doesn't hurt that Paul Allen has donated a lot of money to that place. As for residency, you'll have to wait a year until you can get that for tuition purposes. I advise you to immediately get a driver's license, registration, new bank account, etc. if and when you move to WA.

Seattle's a great place to live, especially if you enjoy the overcast and cooler weather, and it's the coffee capital of the States. There are many excellent restaurants and bars, in addition to the coffee shops on every corner (and no they're not all Starbucks). There are also many major sports teams here and it's a haven for outdoor activities. Even though it's a slow pace city, there's a lot going on in the forms of entertainment. If you're into suburban living there's the eastside, which is more quiet and safe. Also if you have kids or plan for some, Bellevue has arguably one of the best systems in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area