Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
While it was a decade ago I lived up there, I was just up there this week. It's still horrible. Not as bad as it was. But it's horrible.

Getting across the 520 floating turd still takes forever and a day. Bellevue is just a mess with all the construction (and where did all those skyscrapers come from?! Little ole Bellevue has become a mini-Seattle). There's still the mass exodus of people coming out of Redmond every day. They've got those ridiculous "variable speed limit" signs that bring traffic to a crawl on I-5 north from Boeing Field into the tunnel. The viaduct is still a nightmare. 405's still got some huge issues from Southcenter through Renton and into Bellevue. And then factor in that apparently the floater is going toll road next spring, and that's just going to increase overall congestion even more unless you're into paying 7 bucks a day to get into town since everybody is going to route through 90.

Issaquah is WAAAAAAY east, almost out to Snoqualmie. I just did a quick mapquest and it shows 25 minutes to get from Bellevue to Issaquah. Now factor in the time to get from Bellevue to downtown on top of that. There's no way you're getting from A to B in 20 minutes.
Maybe to the OP it won't be horrible because it's worse in Houston. Eh... it's all relative.

Though, getting to Bellevue (DT) from Issaquah (DT) would only be about 15 minutes in regular traffic. Issaquah to DT Seattle is going roughly be less than 35 minutes; even when you take public transit, is going to be around 45 mins. Of course, when they set up the toll on 520, I think at first i90 will be congested... until people realize if they just pay, it'll be much faster to use 520.

Or just use public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,533,678 times
From one former Texan (lived in Austin 10 years, Dallas for 2 years) to another...

We very much enjoy living on the Eastside on the south side of Sammamish just up the street from Issaquah. It takes my husband 45-55 minutes to get downtown in rush hour and we live about 17 miles from downtown. In no traffic, I can zip down there in 20-25 minutes. My kids are in the Issaquah school district and we are very, very pleased with it. Daycare is likely a bit more expensive here as the minimum wage is about $1.30 or so higher than in Texas. The house across the street from me is for sale for $425K. It's about 1800 sq ft, older but redone inside. It's pretty typical for Sammamish/Issaquah. Property taxes here are much lower % wise than Texas. Utilities and insurance are less as well. Sales tax is 9.5% and we have no state income tax at this time. Groceries, gas and buying a house are more expensive...though we have Trader Joes, which is a fantastic, less expensive grocery store option and better public transport.

We hike rain or shine at our house. As someone mentioned before, get the right gear and you can go anytime. It's not like in Texas where you postpone plans because it will be sunny tomorrow. Here, you just go. I have not found the weather as bad overall as anyone told me it would be. But I have lived in many different climates (Iowa, Colorado, Texas) and being here has it pluses for sure. It's not typical that it snows a lot in the city but we are forecasted for a La Nina year this year and will get walloped likely. But typically, Seattle is 45 and raining in the winter.

Allergies in Austin, TX were horrendous. I think the year we moved here (2007), Austin ranked #1 in the Allergy Council's rankings. Seattle's ranking that same year was #100 (out of 100 cities). Again, it depends what bothers you but again I believe for the recent Spring ratings, Seattle was around #86 ish. The rain seems to wash it away more regularly. In Texas my husband and kids suffered terribly and here not at all, and we have been here 3 years. I wasn't bothered by much in TX (mold) and here trees hit for 6 weeks in the Spring. Totally manageable.

For me the traffic does not seem that bad but I have worked in LA, Atlanta and DC, all which seem far worse. Again, point of comparison and there is a very good bus system here and HOV lane.

Another upside to Issaquah is the fantastic hiking and beautiful Lake Sammamish right there. It's a shame many Seattleites never make it out this way. It feels like summer camp with the gorgeous tall pines. Sammamish especially has some fantastic parks for families - Pine Lake Park, Ebright Creek, among them.

I will add we loved our time in Texas...both our kids are natives so I am not knocking it. And the people are just so friendly - the most friendly in the US I think. I even made it to Houston a few times. But I have to say, hands down, Seattle wins as a better place to live IMO relative to Houston, though you will miss your BBQ, Tex Mex and Chick Fil A out here. It's virtually non-existent.

Best of luck in your decision!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:49 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,533,678 times
Oh, and I need to mention the fantastic clean air and water. It will astound you compared to what you are used to!!

Old 10-02-2010, 04:26 AM

180 posts, read 321,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Oh, and I need to mention the fantastic clean air and water. It will astound you compared to what you are used to!!
Thanks for the good info Texastrigirl! Your comments have re-affirmed what I thought all along. I think we need to move to Seattle. Hopefully I can find a good job like I have here.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,997 times
I would take the clouds and drizzle of Seattle over the heat and humidity of Houston any day!
And as far as the traffic goes, everything is relative!!! Yes, Seattle has its slowdowns, bottlenecks etc... but it's not 24/7 as it is in L.A. There are times when it all moves along nicely, which is more than can be said of the City of Angels...

Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM

124 posts, read 368,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjiepants View Post
Traffic in Seattle is VERY VERY BAD!! I hate to be negative, but it is completely insane, and I have lived in many other big cities all over the country. Seattle has the WORST traffic of anywhere else I have lived, mostly due to the fact that there are only a couple of highways/freeways and EVERYONE seems to be on them at once. That said, if you live and work in the same neighborhood, traffic may not be an issue. Everyone drives in Seattle, even with the options of public transit, Seattleites love their cars!
That really depends on where you've lived. Traffic in Seattle is much lighter than most cities on the coasts. Traffic is lighter here than in SF, LA, Chicago, and almost all of the northeast including NYC and Boston. There is more traffic here than in cities like St Louis, Salt Lake City, Cleveland, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, etc. In some ways it's better and worse than in Dallas, depending where you are.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
That really depends on where you've lived. Traffic in Seattle is much lighter than most cities on the coasts. Traffic is lighter here than in SF, LA, Chicago, and almost all of the northeast including NYC and Boston. There is more traffic here than in cities like St Louis, Salt Lake City, Cleveland, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, etc. In some ways it's better and worse than in Dallas, depending where you are.
Having just spent HOURS in traffic in Los Angeles yesterday, I can vouch for the fact that L.A. traffic is the WORST. Who are these people, and where are they going at all hours of the day and night???

Old 10-10-2010, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 17,779 times
Default Moving to Seattle

Well, where to start - first the really great news..... we don't have alligators, fire-ants or too many of those dry climate creatures so for sure you will fare much better here..

Now traffic - well Seattle traffic is generally not much worse than any other major city interchange that is divided in several sections by large bodies of water.... not too many of those out there really. We are a water bound city and it's beautiful. Two of our three major interstates and state highways have you driving across incredible lakes for another ho-hum commute, so even if it's a bit on the cluttered side of traffic, just check out the scenery...

This is a beautiful city - and there are so many facets to it, for anyone to judge for you would be unfair. It is a little pricey to live in close to the city - but the outskirts (average 35 minute commute) offer endless options from the Northend to the Southend - to the Eastside. If interest rates remain low until next year - you will get a good bang for your buck....

The only allergies we have in abundance here (and I do mean abundance) are sinus issues....it's moist here so that is all natural. Your skin feels great though - all year round!

As a real estate broker let me assure you - you can afford living here - and keeping that commute in mind, if someone in the family works in downtown, 30 minutes on average is not all that much to get to and from home. It's all good - it's diverse and it's a Seattle - an absolutely beautiful city - green and lush and fun!

Old 10-10-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppss29 View Post
Well, where to start - first the really great news..... we don't have alligators, fire-ants or too many of those dry climate creatures so for sure you will fare much better here..

Now traffic - well Seattle traffic is generally not much worse than any other major city interchange that is divided in several sections by large bodies of water.... not too many of those out there really. We are a water bound city and it's beautiful. Two of our three major interstates and state highways have you driving across incredible lakes for another ho-hum commute, so even if it's a bit on the cluttered side of traffic, just check out the scenery...

This is a beautiful city - and there are so many facets to it, for anyone to judge for you would be unfair. It is a little pricey to live in close to the city - but the outskirts (average 35 minute commute) offer endless options from the Northend to the Southend - to the Eastside. If interest rates remain low until next year - you will get a good bang for your buck....

The only allergies we have in abundance here (and I do mean abundance) are sinus issues....it's moist here so that is all natural. Your skin feels great though - all year round!

As a real estate broker let me assure you - you can afford living here - and keeping that commute in mind, if someone in the family works in downtown, 30 minutes on average is not all that much to get to and from home. It's all good - it's diverse and it's a Seattle - an absolutely beautiful city - green and lush and fun!
I like your enthusiasm! As soon as I sell my house here in San Diego I will be moving to the Puget Sound area and I CAN'T WAIT!!! Rain, damp, cold, snow, commute ... who cares! I'm looking forward to trees, lakes, green landscapes and mountains!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:08 PM

7 posts, read 17,779 times
Truely there is just so much to be positive about in the Greater Seattle Area. You will love it here and we will love having you at home here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area