Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 04:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,454,664 times

Advertisements

Thinking of checking out a private school for my son in Renton (So. Carr Road near Valley Medical) but concerned about the traffic. My husband and I have never been on I405 during commute times during the weekday. From Bellevue when I go on the overpass it looks like the traffic is worse heading southbound at around 3:00 PM but that's all I know. I would be traveling between the hours of 7:30 AM - 8:00 AM from Bellevue and than back again at 2:00-2:30 PM. Would this be a total nightmare for me traveling back and forth from Bellevue? My husband thinks I'm insane to even consider it but this is a unique school for special needs so yeah, I am considering it because I want what is best for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,802,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Thinking of checking out a private school for my son in Renton (So. Carr Road near Valley Medical) but concerned about the traffic. My husband and I have never been on I405 during commute times during the weekday. From Bellevue when I go on the overpass it looks like the traffic is worse heading southbound at around 3:00 PM but that's all I know. I would be traveling between the hours of 7:30 AM - 8:00 AM from Bellevue and than back again at 2:00-2:30 PM. Would this be a total nightmare for me traveling back and forth from Bellevue? My husband thinks I'm insane to even consider it but this is a unique school for special needs so yeah, I am considering it because I want what is best for him.
Ick... Traffic sucks roughly around those times, even in the morning. Its not totally insane, but what normally is a 15 minute commute can easily extend to 35+ mins commute, could you bear that? I know the back roads, so I use those as well rather just sit on 405 (though it may not be necessarily faster, but at least moving).

Pretty soon, i405 is going to have exit 3 where the ramp will go onto rt. 515 which will make your travels a lot easier-- but I don't know when it will open up.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,586,466 times
Expect 1-2 days a week of moderately heavy traffic and 3-4 days a week of heavy, slow traffic for most of that stretch.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Ick... Traffic sucks roughly around those times, even in the morning. Its not totally insane, but what normally is a 15 minute commute can easily extend to 35+ mins commute, could you bear that? I know the back roads, so I use those as well rather just sit on 405 (though it may not be necessarily faster, but at least moving).

Pretty soon, i405 is going to have exit 3 where the ramp will go onto rt. 515 which will make your travels a lot easier-- but I don't know when it will open up.
Yeah, that would make it easier but I am sure that will take forever for them to get that up. I did do a mapquest search for the directions avoiding freeways and it came out to be 45 minutes which is pretty long considering I have to do this twice in one day. Wow, no surprise on the traffic. I405 is always a nightmare no matter what time or day. Thank you for the responses! Much appreciated.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 AM

240 posts, read 532,599 times
I know traffic is discussed on these boards frequently, but I have a question for everyone: how much does the traffic congestion in Seattle diminish your quality of life in the area? Obviously people love Seattle, because that's the reason there's so much traffic.

I'll be moving there in February and I'm really excited. But the fact that getting from Bellevue to Renton is such a nightmare is a bit concerning. I live in Columbus, Ohio now, and although I try not to hit the highways during rush hour, getting across town at any other point is normally not an issue. I would hate to think that traffic keeps me from going out and doing fun things when I'm living in Seattle.

Then again, I may be relying a lot on public transportation, which I don't do in Columbus.

To the OP: sounds to me like if this school is really worth it, you should go for it. It may be trying at times, but it sounds like the best bet for your son.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,230,268 times
Quote:
You know, it might not be a total nightmare. Traffic is far worse in the AM going north from Renton and in the PM going south from Bellevue.
Of course, it won't be easy shmeesy peaches and cream, but some of it will depend on where in Bellevue you're starting from. There may be some choke points on 405 near 520 and again at I-90, and in Renton around the S curves, but I think in general, it's not going to exceed a half hour.
What I would suggest is not doing the final stretch on 167 to Carr Road, and get on East Valley or Lind which parallel 167. 167 will be a nightmare at that hour.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:49 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,586,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mea-oh View Post
I know traffic is discussed on these boards frequently, but I have a question for everyone: how much does the traffic congestion in Seattle diminish your quality of life in the area? Obviously people love Seattle, because that's the reason there's so much traffic.

I'll be moving there in February and I'm really excited. But the fact that getting from Bellevue to Renton is such a nightmare is a bit concerning. I live in Columbus, Ohio now, and although I try not to hit the highways during rush hour, getting across town at any other point is normally not an issue. I would hate to think that traffic keeps me from going out and doing fun things when I'm living in Seattle.
Not much impact. You learn to find workaround routes, listen for the bridge closures (they will close bridges for inspections a few times a year) and just plan more time. People in Seattle tend to complain a lot, and they probably overstate the congestion a bit, because there are a couple of nightmare commutes a year (usually weather-related) that cause real agitation. Any city fo size has congestion issues, and Seattle is no different. There are major ingress/egress points (I-90 across the mountains, for example) that fill up on long weekends and can be a hassle, but you just come home a bit earlier. Or bring enough good music to last a longer trip!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,819,660 times
I agree with Ira's response. Bellevue (especially if you're south of 520) to Renton is a relatively easy reverse commute in the morning, at least up to exit 4. Going back in the morning would be difficult and tiring, especially if you can't use the I-405 carpool lanes northbound. And getting to the Valley Medical area is usually painful on SR 167.

Quote:

Old 10-16-2010, 10:35 PM

Haven't been on here for awhile. Thanks again for all the great responses. I am going to drive it one morning round trip and see what it will be like but in the mean time I was able to find another school in Lynnwood. Not a whole lot closer but the school start time is 9:00 in Lynnwood versus 8:00 in Renton. One hour later is a huge difference when trying to get my son up in the morning. I am going to try drive to both locations just to see the difference but if my son really likes the school in Renton better, I will just suck it up. Ahhh yes, the things we do for our kids!

Thanks for the advise. I will definitely bring along plenty of good "driving" music!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area