Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

Just spent 4 days in Seattle for a business trip/convention. Coming from Austin, I left with the following thoughts.

Downtown felt like a real Downtown
We stayed at the Sheraton downtown and did quite a bit of walking and exploring, mostly touristy stuff (walked to the space needle and went up, saw the Jimi Hendrix exhibit, and the Science Fiction exhibit, rode the monorail, walking trips to Pike's Mrkt, Picasso exhibit, museum, etc). Takeaway impression is that that downtown Seattle is vibrant and active, clean, easy to get around and has a good vibe.

Rail System
Austin has a fledgling rail system, which is a financial boondoggle and an utter joke. Low ridership, expensive, slow, and it doesn't connect to anything or anywhere logical, such as the airport or performance venues.

Upon arriving at the airport in Seattle and learning that a rail line could take us to within 2 blocks of the hotel for $2.50/ea, we rode it instead of a cab. Rode it back when we left Saturday as well. It was cheap, easy and low hassle. Perhaps it has all manner of problems and controversy of which I am unaware, but strictly from my standpoint of a visitor getting between the airport and hotel and back, it worked perfectly and was a bargain.

Topography and Real Estate
What a beautiful city. The first day was bright and sunny with distant mountain views from atop the needle, and a slow low morning fog rolling through the waterway. We were told we got lucky with the weather the first two days.

Looks like you have a rich mix of older neighborhoods and newer condos in and around Seattle. Didn't look much further than what I can see online, and we had some local friends take us on a driving tour of West Seattle and dinner at Ivar's. My rough take is that prices seemed a bit high, but not unreasonable.

Traffic
Traffic seems like a major problem. Glad we only spent one day in a vehicle.

Homeless
Perhaps the oddest observation I made was that the panhandlers I encountered downtown seemed more articulate than the typical Austin panhandler, one telling me "I can assure you it's not beer money, I'm actually hungry and need food". We don't get such clarity from the utterances of the Austin homeless. Maybe the sample size is too small to draw reliable conclusions, but your downtown homeless do seem to posses better communication skills than one would expect from that demographic.

Conclusion
That's it, not an exhaustive review but my quick take as a visitor with limited time and exposure to all Seattle has to offer. I was impressed mostly with downtown and both my wife and I thought it would be a fun place to live, though we once thought that of Flagstaff too, but came to our senses before it was too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Just spent 4 days in Seattle for a business trip/convention. Coming from Austin, I left with the following thoughts.
Downtown felt like a real Downtown
Rail System
Topography and Real Estate
Traffic
Homeless
Conclusion
Interesting observations! It just so happens that Austin and Seattle are my two favorite cities. Lived in the former for 4 years, about to retire to the latter as soon as my house in San Diego sells.
I would give the edge to Austin in terms of friendliness, and to Seattle in terms of scenery. Weather-wise, both have their downsides - just at opposite times of the year...

Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,304 times
well the light rail is great if you need to get from the airport to downtown or if you live south of downtown along its route. for the rest of us, it's a luxury that's rarely seen.

can't wait until it's expanded though.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times
I love the Link. It literally starts from the airport and ends at my apartment.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,302 times
Quote:
We don't get such clarity from the utterances of the Austin homeless.
LOL, funny observation and true. Our Vegas homeless come dirty, demanding, and will flat out tell you it's for beer. Though they aren't without a sense of humor, the one hitch hiking the other day had a sign that said, "Need ride, I promise I won't kill you."

When I was in Seattle I found them more bohemian/hippies and they often seemed cleaner, spoke well and were kind if you smiled politely and moved on your way. This was all from the blocks we walked from The Max hotel down to Pike's Market, though.

Quote:
Perhaps the oddest observation I made was that the panhandlers I encountered downtown seemed more articulate than the typical Austin panhandler, one telling me "I can assure you it's not beer money, I'm actually hungry and need food".
Well now, Seattle is one of the smartest most educated cities in America, I guess it applies to the homeless too

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
LOL, funny observation and true. Our Vegas homeless come dirty, demanding, and will flat out tell you it's for beer. Though they aren't without a sense of humor, the one hitch hiking the other day had a sign that said, "Need ride, I promise I won't kill you."

When I was in Seattle I found them more bohemian/hippies and they often seemed cleaner, spoke well and were kind if you smiled politely and moved on your way. This was all from the blocks we walked from The Max hotel down to Pike's Market, though.

Well now, Seattle is one of the smartest most educated cities in America, I guess it applies to the homeless too
I didn't even notice the Seattle homeless until the girl I was with pointed them out. In San Diego, the homeless are very spread out and obviously are homeless. Most of the signs they carry say something about them being veterans. A couple of guys do carry signs that say "why lie I need a beer".

It's in the Bay Area where homeless are more noticeable. Berkeley is filled with them and in San Francisco they are not just everywhere but many tend to be aggressive. Seattle's while also quite numerous tend to be less noticeable because they're calmer.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
Seattle is the only city I've been where I've overheard the homeless having an intellectual debate about post civil war reconstruction.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 AM

20 posts, read 35,520 times
I don't know if you could categorize homeless and beggars...but it's on King5 that a group of beggars in Seattle pooled their money together and rent a penthouse condo in downtown Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area