Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 PM

32 posts, read 100,233 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving to Seattle from New York in approximately two months and was hoping you guys could give me a little help. I've had my bank accounts with Citibank for as long as I've been old enough to have bank accounts. Looks like Citibank doesn't have much of a presence in Seattle. Their website seems to indicate they have some sponsored ATMs but no branches.

So what banks would you recommend? What national banks do you see around most? Looks like Chase is prevalent. Am I right? Do there seem to be a lot of Chase branches? It would be great to switch here before I move but if there are great regional or local banks, let me know about them.

By the way, we'll be living in central Seattle--most likely North Capitol Hill or Queen Anne.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
There are a lot of Chase branches in Seattle, as they inherited the Washington Mutual branches when WAMU went under.There are also a lot of Bank of America branches and somewhat fewer Wells Fargo branches. Wells Fargo took over Wachovia bank, which are numerous in the northeast.
Citibank ATMs are in all the 7-11s....
Lots of people feel that they get a much better deal by banking with a credit union. BECU is a very large credit union with a ton of branches.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:14 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
There is a Wells Fargo near our house that we like, plus there are branches in all the states we like to visit.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,840,944 times
I can recommend BECU for low fees, ATM and branch presence, etc. Technically you need to be a resident before joining, it seems, though.

Join BECU Today: Trusted, Local, Member-Owned | BECU

Our family also banks with Wells Fargo, and their ATMs come in handy when we visit other states out west, like California, Oregon, and Arizona.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've actually gone into a BECU or Wells Fargo branch in the last several years. Funny how the relationship has changed - at least for me - in the age of electronic banking...

Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 PM

404 posts, read 1,030,566 times
Bank of America would probably be the best choice. They have ATMs everywhere in the area, and they seem to have the most ATMs nationwide as well.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
I don't know why you'd want to switch there before you move. It makes more sense to switch after you move. You'll want to have a local routing number assigned to your account, a local branch indicated on your checks, and also have your new local address printed on your checks.

You may have a bit more difficult time with people accepting an out of state check even if it is with a bank that has a national presence because the routing number will be in New York. I stayed with the same bank when I moved out of state but chose to change my account number to the local branch so I'd have the local routing number on the checks (although I seldom write many checks anymore).

As many have suggested in this thread and in previous threads, check out the local credit unions for the best packages. As Michael stated, BECU is very well regarded in the Puget Sound area and is now open to any Washington state resident, not just Boeing employees.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,583,918 times
Well, it used to be we had Seafirst. They were awesome. Then Bank of America bought them out.
Then we had WaMu. They were awesome. Then a government perpetuated fraud allowed Chase to buy them out.

Your best bet is to find a credit union these days, because we don't have a single bank worth a damn.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:20 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,824 times
I'm also with BECU. It's easy and convenient for me. And you don't need to prove residency before joining, I'm not officially a resident of Washington, but I joined just a couple days after moving here.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM

32 posts, read 100,233 times
Thanks everyone! This information is really helpful. Will look into BECU and will consider not changing before I move.

But for scirocco, why would having a local routing number make a difference? My main concern is being able to deposit checks at a local bank when I get there. As long as I have a Chase account, who cares that the routing number is NY? I can then still deposit checks into a Chase ATM in Seattle. Does that delay it a few days? Better than not being able to deposit a check at all into a bank in Seattle and snail-mailing checks and deposit slips to NY, right?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlebound1 View Post
Thanks everyone! This information is really helpful. Will look into BECU and will consider not changing before I move.

But for scirocco, why would having a local routing number make a difference? My main concern is being able to deposit checks at a local bank when I get there. As long as I have a Chase account, who cares that the routing number is NY? I can then still deposit checks into a Chase ATM in Seattle. Does that delay it a few days? Better than not being able to deposit a check at all into a bank in Seattle and snail-mailing checks and deposit slips to NY, right?
Deposits into ATMs do delay the $ getting into the account by a couple of days. If they have a night drop that's not an ATM, that would make it a little faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: