U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-31-2010, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,886 times
Default Neighborhood Advice for Gay Professional Transplant

Hi everyone,

I'm a soon-to-be Seattle transplant from Washington, DC, with roots in the south. I spent the last few days exploring some of the great areas/neighborhoods around Seattle and found that I really, really like West Seattle. It's charming, the homes are beautiful, it's close to downtown, and it really has the "small town" feel that I've been looking for in a place to settle down.

While I've read some reports online the West Seattle is "gay friendly", I'm still not sure if there are many gays and lesbians who call it home. It's not incredibly important to me, but I'm not entirely sure I want to live in a gay "no mans land" especially if I'm new to the area. While I like Capitol Hill, Fremont/Phinney and some of the other neighborhoods around the city with more of a district gay presence, I didn't really connect to them the way I did West Seattle.

Anyway, I'd appreciate insights from locals and others more familiar with the area.

Thanks,

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 07:29 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,907,671 times
This is Seattle. We don't give a rat's ass what you're into - you're judged on your merits. You won't find a place in this area that's not <insert random thing here> friendly.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM

7,972 posts, read 13,450,363 times
West Seattle is definitely not a gay man's no man's land. There are plenty of gays and lesbians in West Seattle.
I happen to love West Seattle. It just has a nice feel. It seems to get more light than other parts of Seattle, and the Alaska junction neighborhood certainly has that friendly small town feel. It also has the Bakery Nouveau...stuff to die for.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 PM

4,964 posts, read 5,815,117 times
Most people who've lived here in Seattle after a while don't really care what you're into from a personal perspective. There might be random codgety people or the random transplant who never lost the need to hate a particular group of people ... but 99% of people in Seattle really don't care, and I don't think that's an exaggeration.

So if you're gay, welcome! In fact, it's surprising you felt the need to state you're gay. Most people just don't feel the need to know and will recommend places that you want to feel at home.

If being around other gay people is part of that need, then there is pretty much anywhere in Seattle that fits the bill. Some more than others, and you already found Capitol Hill. West Seattle has a number of gay folks ... just get to know some people and enjoy, and they'll clue you in on where to go, etc.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Status: "Your opinion is yours, but the facts belong to no one" (set 12 days ago)

305 posts, read 456,772 times
My partner and I have lived in West Seattle for almost six years. Lot's of us out this way. We're not the only gay couple on our street, but we are friends with all our neighbors (not just the gay's). It's just not a big deal.

Gay culture is not predominant in W Seattle, but it's not a gay "no-mans" land. I would best describe it as residential area where gays are as welcomed as any other group. We shop, dine, and support the local neighborhood like any other citizen. If we want the "scene", Capitol Hill is a hop over the bridge. We lived on "the Hill" for ten years and don't regret moving out here one bit

If you want to be in walking distance of obviously gay establishments, West Seattle is not for you. However if you like a neighborhood where being gay is irrelevant, any neighborhood in Seattle would be fine, including West Seattle.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:22 PM

14 posts, read 18,855 times
Believe me, there are plenty of gays in West Seattle. In fact, there are plenty of gays in every Seattle neighborhood. Maybe what you've experienced is more of a 'nested' community rather than the apartment dwelling/going out scene of Capitol Hill. In my opinion, go after the neighborhood you connected with. Afterall, you will be LIVING there. And not to worry, you won't feel ostracized in any Seattle neighborhood.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 PM

76 posts, read 120,024 times
JUst curious here... Sorry for somewhat digressing here.

How about Kirkland, Bellevue, Redmond, and Renton? Are they as friendly as Seattle? Which of the four is better than others, in general/on average?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,528,929 times
Again, with the rare exception, nobody will care if you are gay or straight.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:17 PM

7,972 posts, read 13,450,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citislicker View Post
JUst curious here... Sorry for somewhat digressing here.

How about Kirkland, Bellevue, Redmond, and Renton? Are they as friendly as Seattle? Which of the four is better than others, in general/on average?
Depends on how you define " better". Kirkland, Redmond, and Bellevue have better schools than Renton, and more wealthy people. Renton has some areas that are scuzzier. I live in Renton. It's extremely "live and let live", has an emerging arts scene and a kind of cool old downtown area, has the Cedar River where you can watch the salmon swimming upstream, the 17 mile long Cedar River trail, the Black River Riparian forest( largest heron rookery in the Seattle area), the south end of Lake Washington, with canoes and kayaks for rent.
I think Renton was just noted as being the most ethnically diverse small city in the state. It's overall more blue collar and less professional that Kirkland, Redmond, or Bellevue, with less expensive housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area