U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2010, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,875 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Seattle in the coming year and need to get a sense of what the job market is like for Special Education teachers. What are the chances of getting into a school district in January vs Summer/Fall? Full-time or Part-time? Are substitute teaching positions tough to get, as well? Any good insightful information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 PM

235 posts, read 236,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaBeans View Post
I may be moving to Seattle in the coming year and need to get a sense of what the job market is like for Special Education teachers. What are the chances of getting into a school district in January vs Summer/Fall? Full-time or Part-time? Are substitute teaching positions tough to get, as well? Any good insightful information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Anyone have insight on job outlook for Special Ed teachers in the Seattle area? I would also like to know.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,790 times
I decided to try and move to Seattle last June but I wasn't going to move without first having a job. Fingerprinting and other paperwork got me a residency permit by July and I started looking after that. I had two offers in August and took the one with the district that appeared to have their act together the most.

I was surprised at how fast it all went. I was interested in working in secondary or adult transition so I may have had the benefit of looking for a position that is harder to fill in the first place. The biggest pain was that each Washington district has its own ideas about the online application process. I spent an eternity filling out applications so I'd recommend starting early.

There's also the need to take more tests to prove that I'm highly qualified. It's annoying as I just finished getting my CA credential. I sure have a gift for timing.

Three months into the job and I'm not convinced that I'll be renewing next year. We may be competing for the same jobs next spring. Teaching appears to be seasonal so most jobs will be for the 11/12 school year.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 PM

235 posts, read 236,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiens64 View Post
I decided to try and move to Seattle last June but I wasn't going to move without first having a job. Fingerprinting and other paperwork got me a residency permit by July and I started looking after that. I had two offers in August and took the one with the district that appeared to have their act together the most.

I was surprised at how fast it all went. I was interested in working in secondary or adult transition so I may have had the benefit of looking for a position that is harder to fill in the first place. The biggest pain was that each Washington district has its own ideas about the online application process. I spent an eternity filling out applications so I'd recommend starting early.

There's also the need to take more tests to prove that I'm highly qualified. It's annoying as I just finished getting my CA credential. I sure have a gift for timing.

Three months into the job and I'm not convinced that I'll be renewing next year. We may be competing for the same jobs next spring. Teaching appears to be seasonal so most jobs will be for the 11/12 school year.

Good luck.
My certification is reciprocal with Washington, and I actually started my education program in Washington (through a satellite school) and finished last spring, so I am good to go on that. Glad to hear it wasn't a struggle for you. I am currently in a state with a fiercely competitive job market for teachers, so I am subbing.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,482 times
This information is very helpful for me too. I have my M.Ed. in special education (generalist) and I'm licensed in Nevada. However, my family may be moving to Washington this coming year. Any updates on the job market for this coming fall? Are special education teachers in demand? How can I find out if Nevada has reciprocity with Washington? Thanks for any direction you can give me.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 PM

14,764 posts, read 18,084,357 times
My wife is in Special Ed here, and there is a huge turnover rate. Their school has gone through 6 teachers in 3 years, they burn out and go back to classroom teaching. Still, with state budget cuts in education there's a
good chance of layoffs and while much of Special Ed is federally funded, some of the qualified teachers that left it are more likely to stay with it, or go back to to it to keep a job.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:15 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,469,131 times
As a retired school teacher I would say that there is always a need for Special Education teachers. It is easy to get on the substitute teacher list. You will need a Washington State Teacher's Certificate however.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,339 times
I'm an older person beginning the ARC program and working towards Special Ed certification. I'm trying to decide whether to accept the federal loans that require me to work in a Title-1 school. Do you think that there will be jobs for us career-changers in the Seattle special ed arena in coming year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area