Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:02 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess I'm an INTJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:02 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
It seems there's some confusion as to the thing I injected into this thread. The only letter out of the entire equation I'm drawing from/is important for purposes of this discussion is the first one - which is either an I (introvert) or an E (extrovert). The others are interesting and most people should know what they are regardless, but in terms of this city's "friendliness" or not, that's the important one.

Noted essayist David Sedaris did a wonderful piece on the differences between an extrovert and an introvert. Neither one is the "right" way to be, though most extroverted types find introverts "standoffish" or somehow "off", in need of being fixed.

All I was implying by pointing out that Seattle is an overwhelmingly introverted city is that introverts don't *need* to talk to you or be your friend to be just fine. We tend to recharge our batteries by being alone or left to our devices. Extroverts, on the other hand, get their charges by being in groups and constantly being in conversation or the like. They can't handle not being part of a group or receiving some sort of tactile or verbal stimulation. We introverts don't need you like you need us.

It's not that we're mean or have an implicit desire to NOT be around you or to NOT talk to you (well, not all of us), it's just that we're just fine if we don't and it's simpler to not.

If you're going to live here as an extrovert, you're going to need to realize and accept that this is one of the cities where you are NOT the majority and plan accordingly. Meanwhile, if you're an introvert, odds are you'll be juuuuust fine here, at least socially.

Last edited by Xanathos; 11-19-2010 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Holy Craptastic spelling, Batman!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:11 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,166 times
normal !!!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:39 AM

15 posts, read 19,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
According to some of your other posts, you're 19, worked as a barista, barely make enough to survive, and need your family to help you out. Nothing wrong with any of that. Although I was already in the Army for 2 years at that age, it's pretty typical for young adults to struggle a bit. What's my point?

I would argue that you haven't lived enough of your life to have formed the strong anti-religious opinions found in some of your posts. When you say that you don't like overly friendly people, because they are usually church goers and red staters, my mind wants to think this is someone who "has been around the block a few times" and is basing such an opinion off of a lot of personal experience. It's hard to imagine such strong opinions coming from someone who has only been out of the nest for a year. There has to be a "Paul Harvey Rest of the Story" going on here. Maybe you are just falling right in line with what your parents taught you. Maybe you are rebelling against a religious upbringing. Don't know and don't care. Just find it a bit odd how a year of adulthood is enough for you to write some of the stuff you write

It's impossible to write this without coming across as condescending. I'll apologize beforehand. That's not my intent. It's very possible that I am the only poster in all of the CD forums that finds this odd.
This much is true. I have only been out for a year and I have formed strong opinions. My father is very conservative and religious, yet my mother is very liberal and anti-religious (consequently a messy divorce happened). I took on to my mothers views.
And whats the point stated when you say that you had been in the Army for two years? How does that have any weight in the matter. Ive been around enough, and seen enough to form what I now believe (perhaps not as much as you, as you are obviously "old"). In my short 19 years Ive lived on the other side of the Earth, and visited many countries. Ive lived in rural areas and cosmopolitan environments.
Views and opinions change over time, and as you mature, so perhaps one day I wont believe so radically. But I can mostly contribute my views to rejection. I spent most of highschool in a rural community where it was God, family, and country. The whole prevailing ideas made me a little sick to my stomach, and I ached to go back to the city where I was originally from. I would say that is what influenced me the most. I know you dont care, and I really dont care much about how you feel, but I have nothing else to do so I figured I would give you a little bit of my story.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:15 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacier1 View Post
This much is true. I have only been out for a year and I have formed strong opinions. My father is very conservative and religious, yet my mother is very liberal and anti-religious (consequently a messy divorce happened). I took on to my mothers views.
And whats the point stated when you say that you had been in the Army for two years? How does that have any weight in the matter. Ive been around enough, and seen enough to form what I now believe (perhaps not as much as you, as you are obviously "old"). In my short 19 years Ive lived on the other side of the Earth, and visited many countries. Ive lived in rural areas and cosmopolitan environments.
Views and opinions change over time, and as you mature, so perhaps one day I wont believe so radically. But I can mostly contribute my views to rejection. I spent most of highschool in a rural community where it was God, family, and country. The whole prevailing ideas made me a little sick to my stomach, and I ached to go back to the city where I was originally from. I would say that is what influenced me the most. I know you dont care, and I really dont care much about how you feel, but I have nothing else to do so I figured I would give you a little bit of my story.
Fair enough. It's difficult to ask what I asked without coming across as condescending, but I truly didn't understand what could have caused such strong opinions that early in life. You explained yourself well, and enlightened this "geezer"

Why did I bring up my Army time at your age? I'll admit, I was being that other word for a donkey. It seemed as if you were on a campaign to inject anti-religious remarks anywhere you could. And that's what got me wondering why. As I alluded to on another thread, when atheists proactively inject anti-religous comments and views, they are doing the same thing to people of faith that the atheists dislike when done to them by people of faith - they're "preaching", just "preaching" opposing views.

Last edited by CarawayDJ; 11-19-2010 at 02:37 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 08:28 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,583 times
Glacier and Caraway, kudos to you both for your last posts: you state your views clearly, yet are respectful of each other. I wish more posters could do the same!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 PM

56 posts, read 203,950 times
ISTP here and I totally agree. Luckily my fiance is an extrovert, but I'm more like an introvert in sheeps clothing, once I get to know you I won't ****.

I do believe in the Seattle freeze though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area