Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM

10 posts, read 36,731 times

Advertisements

My husband, infant son, and I are moving to Seattle from Chicago area. We are looking for a SAFE neighborhood to rent in. We want a 2 bdrm apartment and are thinking our budget is no more than $1,000/month. The neighborhood needs to be near a good form of public transportation as my husbands will work downtown Seattle.

PLEASE send your suggestions our way as we are completely overwhelmed with all of the options and we are moving to Seattle sight unseen.
Thank you in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,668,187 times
$1000 is a stretch - you might need to live outside of Seattle and a much further commute

Old 11-19-2010, 06:06 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,252,597 times
Here's a craigslist posting for an older 2br 1ba apartment on Mercer Island for $895 a month. This place is a five minute walk to the park and ride and from there it's ten minutes to downtown Seattle.

Search this forum and you'll see that Mercer Island is very safe. There are lots of parks near this apartment and it's only a couple blocks to the business district where you'll find grocery stores and other things you'll need every day.

Plug the apartment address into google maps to see the layout. Click the satellite view tab and you'll see the parks and business district.

This apartment complex is one of the older ones. If you want something more modern there are plenty of those too. I would shy away from the Shorewood postings since that complex isn't near the major bus lines to downtown so you would have to take a shuttle or drive to the park and ride.

Charming Building w/ Elevator & Great Views! Spacious Apartments! (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/2069636221.html - broken link)

Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 PM

478 posts, read 781,680 times
Lynnwood and Edmonds are very nice towns on the north side of Seattle. I'm new to this area, and happy to be in Lynnwood. I haven't used public transportation but it seems to be pretty decent.

When I moved here I paid for a motel for a week (on a daily basis because I didn't know when I would find a place I liked) so I could look around and actually see places before I signed the papers. I'm glad I did--it was worth it. I hated having to pay extra for the U-Haul truck and the tow dolly as well as the motel, but I like the place I got. That's worth a lot.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:57 PM

263 posts, read 528,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djstorm1228 View Post
My husband, infant son, and I are moving to Seattle from Chicago area. We are looking for a SAFE neighborhood to rent in. We want a 2 bdrm apartment and are thinking our budget is no more than $1,000/month. The neighborhood needs to be near a good form of public transportation as my husbands will work downtown Seattle.

PLEASE send your suggestions our way as we are completely overwhelmed with all of the options and we are moving to Seattle sight unseen.
Thank you in advance!!!
A 2br under $1000 in a safe Seattle neighborhood with good public transit options is a big time stretch. Seattle housing is more expensive than Chicago's. You either need to up your budget or consider places outside of Seattle proper. Downside would be a longer commute for your husband.

Perhaps you could let us know where you live in Chicago? I'm quite familiar with both cities and would be happy to help further.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,684 times
Default AGree

Yes, agree that $1000 is a stretch. I rented a 2 brdm with a roommate on First Hill for $1250 and that was a steal...and it was sketchy in not probably a young child friendly neighborhood. You'll definitely have to either up your price range or look for something outside the city.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:19 AM

4 posts, read 12,033 times
Default A Couple of Options

I cannot guarantee these are still available, however they are rentals - close in and available as I posted this. Both of these are two bedroom, two bath units:

Here are a couple of smaller 1 bed, 1 bath units:

1105 Spring St #703, Seattle 98104 - $1250 Location: First Hill
Windermere Property Management (great property management co.)
Agent: Keri Dutton, 206-463-4700

1300 University St #3E, Seattle 98101 $800 - Location First Hill
Windermere Property Management
Agent: Jennie Willmott 206-621-2037

1800 43rd Ave E #301, Seattle 98112 - $1195 - Location Madison Park - next to the water - stunning location
Windermere Property Management
Agent: Jennie Willmott 206-621-2037

I am a real estate agent - so am very familiar with Windermere - my parent company. Good luck to you in your move and travels.

Penny Pickett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area