Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:24 AM

191 posts, read 510,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree. As a black male with "unconventional" interest, taste in music and speech (you know about that one I'm sure), I get put into a box I don't fit in all the time lol
The real social crime here is that a chocolate American (I detest the black/white verbiage. If we are going to define ourselves by skin color, lets be more accurate with those definitions.) feels obligated to call himself unconventional if he speaks decent English, enjoys diverse music, and can walk around without devoting one hand to holding up his pants. As a Vanilla American I salute your choice to stand outside the stereotype.

And may I add that pink and peach-colored shirts look wonderful with a chocolate skin tone, but someone needs to tell the white guys that the same doesn't hold true for vanilla skin tones.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
The real social crime here is that a chocolate American (I detest the black/white verbiage. If we are going to define ourselves by skin color, lets be more accurate with those definitions.) feels obligated to call himself unconventional if he speaks decent English, enjoys diverse music, and can walk around without devoting one hand to holding up his pants. As a Vanilla American I salute your choice to stand outside the stereotype.

And may I add that pink and peach-colored shirts look wonderful with a chocolate skin tone, but someone needs to tell the white guys that the same doesn't hold true for vanilla skin tones.
Haha I will not use the term Chocolate because my skin isn't that color. I'm very red naturally, not quite the color of chocolate Even my eyes are a deep burgundy color.

Anyway, I always do my own thing, what comes naturally to me. I listen to and make my own music that's not hip-hop or R&B. Nothing wrong with them, just not my thing.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
I agree. As a black male with "unconventional" interest, taste in music and speech (you know about that one I'm sure), I get put into a box I don't fit in all the time lol
I think I might have told you this before. I forget if I did. I have a friend from the Olympia area. He is a Black male. He has lived in the PNW most of this life. He came to Georgia and had issues adjusting. We both relate on a certain level because we both have experiences of people trying to "put us in a box". I have gotten comments about my speech. I know exactly what it feels like. I figured Seattle of all places I would have to worry about that the least. This is according to some of the Black people I have met who are from that region. They have had good times in the Seattle area. My family did too. My father felt like Seattle would be a good place to live. I think the big thing with what we have gone through is that alot of people don't know what to make of a Black man who doesn't fit any kind of stereotype.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I think I might have told you this before. I forget if I did. I have a friend from the Olympia area. He is a Black male. He has lived in the PNW most of this life. He came to Georgia and had issues adjusting. We both relate on a certain level because we both have experiences of people trying to "put us in a box". I have gotten comments about my speech. I know exactly what it feels like. I figured Seattle of all places I would have to worry about that the least. This is according to some of the Black people I have met who are from that region. They have had good times in the Seattle area. My family did too. My father felt like Seattle would be a good place to live. I think the big thing with what we have gone through is that alot of people don't know what to make of a Black man who doesn't fit any kind of stereotype.
I think we may have spoken about that but it's always a good reminder. I noticed when I was in Seattle that most people spoke more or less the same way unless they were immigrants. The black lady at my hotel didn't sound all that much different than her non black co-workers for example. I noticed this all over. Of course I'm sure I would have found the more "stereotypical" people in the right places. But that's the thing, it appeared that no one was expected to fit in a box.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:44 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm miserable, plz let me View Post
Detroit is dead. ATL is the place to be.

What's wrong with me wanting to live somwhere where I don't feel culturally alienated?
Having come from ATL to live in Seattle, let me just say, Good Luck. ATL might be the place to be...for you.
Enjoy that diversity.

With a crime rate of 105 per one thousand residents, Atlanta has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes.

Kathryn Johnston shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kathryn Johnston (June 26, 1914 - November 21, 2006)[1] was an elderly Atlanta, Georgia woman who was shot by undercover police officers in her home on Neal Street in northwest Atlanta on November 21, 2006, where she had lived for 17 years. Three officers had entered her home in what was later described as a 'botched' drug raid.
One of the officers planted marijuana in Johnston's house after the shooting.

Atlanta's former mayor sentenced to prison - CNN

Jurors award woman $1.7M in MARTA rape (Atlanta)

It's a hell of a town.

Atlanta Street Gangs

Don't click the gangs link if you have a slow computer. It scrolls for a few pages.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:54 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
I said that on another thread a while ago, but some people took issue with it.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
I said that on another thread a while ago, but some people took issue with it.
White guys wearing pink or peach fall into one of two categories; those who don't understand the interaction of background and foreground colors, and those who want to be sure everyone knows they're gay. I would have totally worn pink or peach had my wife not taken corrective action on the former of those two.

Wives; preventing their husbands from dressing like homosexuals since cave-man times.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Haha I will not use the term Chocolate because my skin isn't that color. I'm very red naturally, not quite the color of chocolate Even my eyes are a deep burgundy color.

Anyway, I always do my own thing, what comes naturally to me. I listen to and make my own music that's not hip-hop or R&B. Nothing wrong with them, just not my thing.

We'll call you a Raspberry American then. Oh yeah my raspberry brother, oh yeah.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
We'll call you a Raspberry American then. Oh yeah my raspberry brother, oh yeah.
I hate raspberries but funny LOL

Old 11-23-2010, 05:43 PM

62 posts, read 145,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
I'm sure Atlanta would love to have you. Do you need some help with your ticket?
Yes, and exspenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
-a troll=

Unwelcome, offensive, stupid or abusive commenter on a blog, chat room, user group or BBS, who posts stuff just to get arguments going or get people riled up.

-a homer= An idiot, probably named for Homer Simpson of the Matt Groening TV show, the Simpsons?
A homer is someone who is adament that their howntown is the best, Seattle has a lot of them. Pretentious, passive aggressive homers.

Quote:
Amen my culturally confused white brother. I like my women like I like my coffee; black, bitter, and with plenty of room in the cup for the white creamy stuff.
Bitter? shoulda said hot.
Are you black or white?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Having come from ATL to live in Seattle, let me just say, Good Luck. ATL might be the place to be...for you.
Enjoy that diversity.

With a crime rate of 105 per one thousand residents, Atlanta has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes.

Kathryn Johnston shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kathryn Johnston (June 26, 1914 - November 21, 2006)[1] was an elderly Atlanta, Georgia woman who was shot by undercover police officers in her home on Neal Street in northwest Atlanta on November 21, 2006, where she had lived for 17 years. Three officers had entered her home in what was later described as a 'botched' drug raid.
One of the officers planted marijuana in Johnston's house after the shooting.

Atlanta's former mayor sentenced to prison - CNN

Jurors award woman $1.7M in MARTA rape (Atlanta)

It's a hell of a town.

Atlanta Street Gangs

Don't click the gangs link if you have a slow computer. It scrolls for a few pages.
Oh no one in a thousand people is the victim of a crime! Oh no I'm white so I'm more of a target and my rate is boosted!
Do I really want to live somewhere I don't want to live just because I'm scared of the fact that everywhere else is more dangerous?

I just noticed in zone 3 there's a gang called white boy click, are they really white boys or is the name supposed to be ironic?
Do you think they'd let me join?

Where's the best place to find a black women for sex with a low mortality rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area