Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm miserable, plz let me View Post
I said it represented something to me, it was kind of symbolic.
Basketball is patronized by blue collar whites and black people, not yuppies and hipsters.
LOL You may well have been a Sonic's fan, but clearly you haven't been to a game in a very long time.

Yuppies in fact were one of the few folks who could still afford tickets.

Quote:
Yuppies and hipsters will however go to a soccer game.
You act as though the Sounders, who put an excellent and entertaining product on the field representing a game many of the blacks in the world play, have committed a crime against black people here in Seattle in doing so.

Quote:
The Almost Live generation doesn't rule the economy here anymore, I don't like who rules our economy anymore.
So what.

Quote:
For the recond the Memphis Grizzlies or Sacramento Kings will move here, change their name to the Sonics and all of a sudden all these phony Seattle folks will be THE BIGGEST FAN EVER!
How could they? Seriously. You don't have anything better to whine about than this?

Quote:
I ALWAYS LOVED THE SONICS.
Oh wow. You must be a "Real Fan" Perhaps Wasilla, Alaska is the place for you. You could be a real fan and a "Real American" all at the same time.

Quote:
Living in a place like this, a place nicknamed "soccer city USA" is demoralizing, if you're young and not one of them the social scene here is terrible.
Pass the Kleenex, I'm tearing up here.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
I know a lot of black people in Seattle. They've been neighbors, friends, and co-workers. I haven't ever heard any of them state that Seattle wasn't a decent city for them. Why? Is it because in order to be "culturally black" you have to be white?
Yeah, I've heard the comments that good BBQ is hard to find here, and having tasted BBQ in Arkansas and Mississippi, I've got to agree. But that's no different than folks from New York complaining about the lack of great pizza in Seattle. A perfectly valid complaint. Living anywhere requires tradeoffs.
But I also agree with the OP. Soccer just doesn't have any appeal to me. I just don't get it, and it doesn't hold a candle to basketball.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 PM

62 posts, read 145,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
LOL You may well have been a Sonic's fan, but clearly you haven't been to a game in a very long time.

Yuppies in fact were one of the few folks who could still afford tickets.

You act as though the Sounders, who put an excellent and entertaining product on the field representing a game many of the blacks in the world play, have committed a crime against black people here in Seattle in doing so.

So what.

How could they? Seriously. You don't have anything better to whine about than this?

Oh wow. You must be a "Real Fan" Perhaps Wasilla, Alaska is the place for you. You could be a real fan and a "Real American" all at the same time.

Pass the Kleenex, I'm tearing up here.
When you quoted "I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A SONICS FAN" that was me mocking what these peacoat wearing, soccer watching, Immortal Technique fans that make up the marority of young Seattle.

Went to a game in 07, didn't see any yuppies, I saw people who were yuppies in the 70s/80s.

"You act as though the Sounders, who put an excellent and entertaining product on the field representing a game many of the blacks in the world play"

You seem hurt, I'm sorry I insulted your stuffwhitepeoplelikeDOTcom life.

I'm talking about african american culture, I have no interest in anything foreign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I know a lot of black people in Seattle. They've been neighbors, friends, and co-workers. I haven't ever heard any of them state that Seattle wasn't a decent city for them. Why? Is it because in order to be "culturally black" you have to be white?
Yeah, I've heard the comments that good BBQ is hard to find here, and having tasted BBQ in Arkansas and Mississippi, I've got to agree. But that's no different than folks from New York complaining about the lack of great pizza in Seattle. A perfectly valid complaint. Living anywhere requires tradeoffs.
But I also agree with the OP. Soccer just doesn't have any appeal to me. I just don't get it, and it doesn't hold a candle to basketball.
LomabardospizzeriaDOTcom
I've never been to the east coast but that ish could compete with any pizza.
The only black people that are cool living here seem to have a desire to get away from black culture, seems like some nerdy comic book reading black guys to me.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 PM

131 posts, read 113,955 times
Quote:
First of all the "diversity" in Seattle is criminally overrated, it's pretty much just White and Asian, the only "diversity" the majority of people in this region want.

Second of all a LARGE percentage of the black community look more like middle easterners because they're first or second generation immigrents from Ethiopia, Somolia or Eretria so if you find yourself attracted to actual black women, good luck.
Most of these girls are Muslim anyway even if I liked middle eastern women, they really close themselves off.

Seattlites are incredibley phoney people who act like the area is paradise and nothing else could ever prepare, maybe if you're on of these people who make Seattle look like stuffwhitepeoplelikeDOTcom came to life.
This is their place, this is their idea of diversity, culture and a town, I can't wait to get out.

BTW, I'm white and from here, I just hate the culture and shun it.

I feel the Sonics leaving and the Sounders FC's establishment followed by a popularity that earned us the nickname "soccer city USA" really represents the culture here too. What happened in 08 is a symbol of what this town has become, I for one feel alienated.
Wow, Dude!

You're deep...

I'm keep trying to understand where you're coming from, because wherever you live, if it's not predominately black, it's not going to be that accepting of blacks, in most cases.
Generally, the way it goes, is that if a community only has a few black families, then blacks get greater respect and consideration. However, as a once heavily white populated city, increasingly becomes black, the black become more poorly recieved. You get that "It's getting to be too many ni**ers in here look."

I once thought I was good friends with a white couple. We went to dinner together. We even went out to both black and white spots to party. However, one day my white male friend and I got into an argument about African-Amercan intellectual achievements. He ended up telling me that blacks were "slightly" intellectually inferior to whites. He told me, that we were friends, because he was making an exception with me because I was one of those few excetional blacks, who was both well-behaved and "marginally" intelligent.

I now, have less trust that I used to have.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
This is starting to turn into the SF forum. I come here to get away from that. Seriously???

Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Went to a game in 07, didn't see any yuppies, I saw people who were yuppies in the 70s/80s.
You went to one game in the 07 and now you're an expert? Priceless.

Quote:
You seem hurt, I'm sorry I insulted your stuffwhitepeoplelikeDOTcom life

I pointed a few facts you ignore. And to this you respond that I'm hurt? Clearly you are a troll.

Quote:
I'm talking about african american culture, I have no interest in anything foreign.
Let me guess. This is because you saw a black man in Seattle in 07?

Quote:
The only black people that are cool living here seem to have a desire to get away from black culture, seems like some nerdy comic book reading black guys to me.
No doubt they are simply waiting for you to teach them how to live.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrowlane View Post
He told me, that we were friends, because he was making an exception with me because I was one of those few excetional blacks, who was both well-behaved and "marginally" intelligent.

You do realize the OP is as white as the powdery stuff that's on your lawn right now?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
When you quoted "I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A SONICS FAN" that was me mocking what these peacoat wearing, soccer watching, Immortal Technique fans that make up the marority of young Seattle.

"You act as though the Sounders, who put an excellent and entertaining product on the field representing a game many of the blacks in the world play"

You seem hurt, I'm sorry I insulted your stuffwhitepeoplelikeDOTcom life.

LomabardospizzeriaDOTcom
I've never been to the east coast but that ish could compete with any pizza.
Who are you to define what "Black culture" is and what an African-American should be like? Who are you to define that?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:33 PM

62 posts, read 145,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Who are you to define what "Black culture" is and what an African-American should be like? Who are you to define that?
Very Seattle answer, we all know what a stereotypical AA is like, your token friend from microsoft you have over for dinner parties is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
You went to one game in the 07 and now you're an expert? Priceless.

I pointed a few facts you ignore. And to this you respond that I'm hurt? Clearly you are a troll.

Let me guess. This is because you saw a black man in Seattle in 07?

No doubt they are simply waiting for you to teach them how to live.
I went to tons of games in the late 90s early zeros, baby bombers man, not yuppies.

What facts did you want me to address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrowlane View Post
Wow, Dude!

You're deep...

I'm keep trying to understand where you're coming from, because wherever you live, if it's not predominately black, it's not going to be that accepting of blacks, in most cases.
Generally, the way it goes, is that if a community only has a few black families, then blacks get greater respect and consideration. However, as a once heavily white populated city, increasingly becomes black, the black become more poorly recieved. You get that "It's getting to be too many ni**ers in here look."

I once thought I was good friends with a white couple. We went to dinner together. We even went out to both black and white spots to party. However, one day my white male friend and I got into an argument about African-Amercan intellectual achievements. He ended up telling me that blacks were "slightly" intellectually inferior to whites. He told me, that we were friends, because he was making an exception with me because I was one of those few excetional blacks, who was both well-behaved and "marginally" intelligent.

Bill Loney's newest alias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is starting to turn into the SF forum. I come here to get away from that. Seriously???
Will check it.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I went to tons of games in the late 90s early zeros, baby bombers man, not yuppies.
Oh now it's a ton of games. This is getting fun. Crawl back under your rock trollboy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area