Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 02:10 PM

105 posts, read 580,046 times

Advertisements

Hey there, just wondering about some of the nightlife around University of Washington and hoping for some suggestions for which ones to go to. There are a few types I guess I wonder about around the U-District....

Pubs: Both regular sit down (good brew and grub) as well as the kind with options of a dancefloor (more party type)

Clubs: Any around the area that UW students end up going to? Or do most just typically go downtown?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 04:31 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
The U District is a rundown slum.

The main street of business is University Avenue, known as "The Ave". It's about eight blocks of sad immigrant run eateries and a couple of clothing stores. Also several shelters for homeless teens and various drug addicts. Lots of chain link parking lots. As university districts go nationwide, I would rate Seattle's 'Ave' as one of the most depressing and rundown university districts in the US.

There are some pubs, they are not cheap and largely depressing. There is food, it largely sucks and isn't cheap. The U Distict is a ghetto of street kids and drug addicts, slum shops, and paid parking lots.

Seattle may have something locally identified as *clubs*. Whatever such clubs exist in this town are in Capitol Hill, a higher end neighborhood with better shops and pubs and fewer drug/homeless shelters.

On the bright side....the University of Washington itself is an absolutely gorgeous place. Glorious campus in the midst of a derelict neighborhood.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:04 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,013 times
The above is very exaggerated description of the U District. It's a fun neighborhood and definitely worth checking out. There is nothing "sad" about inexpensive restaurants that cater to the student budget. There are some great places, too numerous to list here. Just walk around and you will find them.
There are plenty of bars as well, The College Inn is an old favorite with an underground rathskeller type atmosphere, the Big Time Brewery makes their own beer and has decent food. Kai's is a smaller place also with good food, the Blue Moon is a famous old dive with live music almost every night, Galway Arms is an Irish Pub along with Finn McCool's.
Yes you might see a drug dealer or a panhandler or three on the Ave. but it's really not that bad.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
After being there this summer I don't think Azoria's comments are "Very exaggerated". I thought the first time I visited Seattle in the early/mid 90's the U district looked much better and did not have many of the elements that Azoria described. I was somewhat disappointed this summer when venturing out to the U District a few times during my stay.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,013 times
The U District has had its ups and downs over the years. It does seem less lively these days. Could it be because today's college student would rather send text messages and twitters than go out on the Ave. to socialize?
The drug dealing and panhandling have been going on for many years but there is less than you find downtown or on Capitol Hill. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed. To call the U District a slum is ridiculous. It's not even close.
I lived in the U District for 10 years and still visit from time to time. I still enjoy the Ave and have never felt threatened day or night. There are great bookstores, movie theaters, interesting shops, bars, cafes, restaurants etc. If you can't enjoy this area, that's kind of sad, you are missing out on one of Seattle's best places.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,893 times
The U dist is perfectly fine, way overblown as a run-down/dangerous neighborhood. I love it.

The ave is great, so many inexpensive, quality restaurants from many cuisines. There's a couple pubs/bars around but they don't look that great (never actually been to them, even though i've walked by 1000 times). I'd imagine you could find a better club/bar scene somewhere else.... or hit up some house party close by

Old 11-26-2010, 11:41 PM

48 posts, read 267,616 times
The U-District has never had much in the way of night clubs. For that, look to Belltown, Pioneer Square or Capitol Hill.

Back when I was a student (admittedly a while ago) I liked the College Inn Pub and the Big Time Brewery, both are still around at the south end of the Ave.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:31 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,626 times
Yeah - the U-dist a slum? One who says that has not been to anything resembling a true slum. That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

That area is great for students with many dining and shopping options. IMO, it is not a place to go clubbing though. Your best bets for that will be the Pike/Pine corridor of Capitol Hill, Pioneer Square, or in Belltown. All short cab rides from the U-district if that's where you're living.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:46 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Yeah - the U-dist a slum? One who says that has not been to anything resembling a true slum. That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

That area is great for students with many dining and shopping options. IMO, it is not a place to go clubbing though. Your best bets for that will be the Pike/Pine corridor of Capitol Hill, Pioneer Square, or in Belltown. All short cab rides from the U-district if that's where you're living.
I agree, the U district is not a slum per say. However, it does have many of the negative elements that Azoria described. I would not say that I feel unsafe in that area. However, parts of the U district Its just far from what I would call a desirable area. Homeless teens, what appears to be drug addicts is noticeable. Maybe not to the same extent of some of the other neighborhoods, but definitely visible.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:49 AM

381 posts, read 861,744 times
There are some sketchy blocks in the section of the Ave between 47th and 50th, but overall it's perfectly fine. I actually think the Ave is one of Seattle's most urban and interesting streets. Anyway...

As for nightlife, I'd start with the College Inn pub and Schultzy's. Two down home pubs that have a good cross-section of students and others, lots of happy hours. Schultzys has a good german beer selection and good sausage sandwiches. Big Time is a brewery that has a pub. Nothing outstanding, but a cool little spot. Flowers and Ruby's are also worth checking, although can lean a bit hipsterish. If you want a good dive with some great music, check out the Blue Moon. If you head half a mile west to the Wallingford neighborhood check out Al's and the Grizzled Wizard for a couple of cool dives.

Finn McCool's and Earl's are frat/sorority laden, if thats youre thing. Kai's Bistro has really fallen off.

Interestingly, the most happening center of nightlife in the U District is actually north of 50th. On the Ave: A Pizza Mart (a bar), Galway Arms, Lucid (cool live jazz almost every night), Burritos and Booze, The Immigrant, Knar Bar (super divey). Then on Roosevelt there's the Monkey Pub and Dante's, plus another German Pub, Bier Stube, up that way.

Overall, Id suggest College Inn Pub and the Monkey Pub as my two favorites in that area. As others have already said, this neighborhood is not known for clubs. Fusion is an attempted "Ultra Lounge" next to the Blue Moon. They seem to have had some succes, but I dont know anyone who has been there, and it doesnt seem like my thing. Babulu is another club in Wallingford, although again I cant tell you much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area