U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 PM

95 posts, read 53,464 times

Advertisements

Just arrived here. Most cities I go to have a cheap cell phone service where there's no credit check or contract. In San Diego I had Cricket, in san fran I had metropcs, in Canada I had Koodo mobile, but they don't have any of those here. I googled and couldn't find anything. What's the cheap phone service in Seattle with no contract or credit check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 04:33 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,100,477 times
Cricket is out here.

T-Mobile has a month-to-month plan that (to my knowledge) has no credit check. It's the service I use since it ends up giving me more features and costing less money than signing up for a 2 year contract just so I can get a "free" phone which ends up costing me infinitely more than just purchasing the phone at full price and going with the cheaper month-to-month bill as opposed to the more expensive 2 year contract.

There's a thread about this over in the Science & Technology/Cell Phone forum.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 PM

567 posts, read 441,551 times
Virgin mobile offers unlimited data/text plus 300 minutes talk for $25/month, if you want data and don't talk a lot, you can't beat that, you can't even come close. I was paying att more than that just for voice. The drawback is limited network (sprint only, no roaming on verizon's much larger network) so if you are out in the boonies a lot, maybe not a good option. The other drawback is limited phone choices, but they do now have android and blackberry. You won't get a top of the line phone but you will get a very nice phone, and again, it's all about the ridiculously low price when going with virgin. I wanted a phone with 5 mp camera, for instance, but I'm willing to take a 3.2 mp when the overall price (phone + service) is so drastically lower. Most camera phones are no good anyway!

Forgot to say: no credit check and no contracts.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 PM

216 posts, read 387,859 times
Page Plus runs off of Verizon towers. Either activate an old Verizon phone on Page Plus, or buy a Page Plus phone.

Net10 runs off of AT&T/T-mobile (if you have a GSM phone) or Verizon towers (if you have a CDMA phone).

Both have a good variety of plans (both pay-as-you-go with rollover minutes, or pay per month without rollover but with cheaper $/minute cost).

I had Sprint family, but dropped it and went with Page Plus and Net10 for me and my mom since they get better coverage in the boonies, where I do travel occasionally.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:57 AM

239 posts, read 415,479 times
I got an offer from Verizon for unlimited calls for $38 per month with a 12 month contract. This is very lower for Verizon service. I don't think they would do it without a reason. This tell me something is up in the industry. I think the prices are going to drop drastically in 2011. Verizon's 4G service is being rolled out now, so that may be an important consideration for the future too.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM

5,601 posts, read 12,545,451 times
I agree. Plans are in for many changes in the near future, IMO. The obvious push is for pre-paid plans which make a lot of sense since many, as myself, greatly dislike getting locked into a contract.

One that is very attractive for me is the BoostMobile Unlimited with shrinkage. $50/month to start and gradually by the end of a year and a half (18-months), it's $35/month for unlimited. This points to increasing pressure for competitive plans and pricing in the future by other carriers it would seem to me.

BoostMobile will use the Sprint network as it's a Sprint subsidiary so it may detract from the attractiveness for some because the Sprint Network is not considered to be the very best out there by many.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:52 PM

216 posts, read 387,859 times
List of US MVNO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a good list of the carriers who lease other carrier's towers. Most if not all mvno's offer no contract plans.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 PM

595 posts, read 632,335 times
I have Virgin Mobile and haven't had any problems with it. The reception seems to be just as good as my old T-Mobile account where I go.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 PM

127 posts, read 201,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Virgin mobile offers unlimited data/text plus 300 minutes talk for $25/month,
Can't see that $25 plan on their website - what's it called ?

I see they have a "BEYOND TALK UNLIMITED PLAN" that starts at $35 per month for 300 mins talk + unlimited text/data

We pay a $30 pre-pay on my son's T-mobile SIM for unlimited data/txts but still have to pay 15c per minute for the in/out voice calls.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 PM

567 posts, read 441,551 times
Sorry, old thread - they don't offer that plan anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area